Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer beneficial interest

I own a property in my sole name.

I want to transfer 50% of the beneficial interest to my wife. Property has £100k mortgage. Not looking to make any changes to title deeds.

Is my understanding correct as below:

- I sign a declaration of trust giving her 50% beneficial interest.
    - no need to inform mortgage lender since deeds not changed
    -no need to inform HMRC except when I do tax return next year.
    - annual income from property will be split 50:50
    -CGT upon sale will be 50:50?
    - no stamp duty will be payable due to mortgage size

Is this correct?

I believe if wife is not named on the mortgage loan , she cannot include mortgage interest in her 50% share of the maintenance expenses

Comment

You may need your mortgage lender's permission and should check that before you do anything.
      The trust will reduce the value of the security of the lender's loan by 50% and they might have an issue with that.

The lender's charge on the property may need to be varied.

Your wife will need to advise HMRC of her new source of income and agree how it will be reported to them (usually by self assessment).

CGT when sold will be based on 50% of the gain from the date of the trust, you can't backdate it.

And I share Gordon999's view of the interest allowance.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Can we claim back the VAT?
        by 529 Charlie
        We are 3 Leaseholders each with a share of the freehold of our shared building. Purchase of our flats meant we also became Directors of a dormant Management Company. We need urgent maintenance/Major Works doing and wondered how and if we can claim back the VAT charged by the builder(s).

03-07-2020, 18:13 PM
      • Reply to CGT after selling my main residence
        by doobrey
        Perhaps the confusion here may be with additional rate SDLT? Buying a new home while still owning previous is an issue in that you will be liable for additional 3% SDLT. However, you can request a refund of this when you sell your previous home, as long as sale occurs within the permitted time - which...
        03-07-2020, 17:39 PM
      • CGT after selling my main residence
        by Echoes
        Hi there
        First of all thanks in advance for your reply. I would really appreciate if you can calify some of my confusion.

I have few queries regarding selling my main residence which would impact on how much CGT I would pay...

1. I am buying a new house to live so...
        02-07-2020, 14:14 PM
      • Reply to CGT after selling my main residence
        by Echoes
        Thank you for the responses. I have lived there since I bought (more than 5 years) and wants to move to a bigger house. This clears some of my confusion. I thought the property will be empty so why not short term let. But its better not to let while I am selling it. Thanks
        03-07-2020, 16:43 PM
      • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
        by Brian862107
        My understanding is it's probably better using the allowance. Is there anything else that can be claimed such as interest on buy-to-let mortgage payments or is this not worth it?...
        03-07-2020, 12:59 PM
      • Tax Return
        by Brian862107
        Does anyone know of any good online tutorials/guides for filling out your self-assessment tax return? I don't know about you's but I hate filling out forms (they always ask you to tick a box to say the information you've put in is correct too!!)!

This is my first year filling out the self-assessment...
        01-07-2020, 15:51 PM
      • Reply to Tax Return - HELP!
        by Brian862107
        I signed up for the 2018/19 tax year as I thought I had to declare this and tax it but they said as I earned less than £2500 in property income for the year I didn't need to complete the self-assessment for that year.

After watching more videos I am now even more confused . I thought...
        03-07-2020, 12:18 PM
      • Reply to Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
        by Gordon999
        Previously loan interest was an allowable expense which could be deducted from the rental income.

Now it is no longer an allowable expense so your rental surplus will be higher and you pay will have higher tax. bill.

However you are allowed to claim 20% of the loan...
        03-07-2020, 07:43 AM
      • Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
        by cadence248
        Good afternoon all,

I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave...
        02-07-2020, 15:11 PM
      • Stamp Duty on Freehold House subject to long leases; merge title?
        by carolem
        Am interested in buying freehold house which is divided into 2 flats, both let out on AST. G
        round floor flat is held under the terms of a Lease dated the 11 November 1987 granted for the term of 999 years from the 1st February 1987 and the first floor flat is held under the terms of a Lease dated the
        Should Nelson Mandela's statute remain?
        0%
        Should death penalty's reintroduction be subject to public referendum?
        0%
        02-07-2020, 10:02 AM
      Working...
      X