Entrepreneur's Relief for refurb + let investment, CGT

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Entrepreneur's Relief for refurb + let investment, CGT

    My company bought an empty building 6 years ago and refurbed every flat in the whole building and communal areas. If I sell the building and close down the company, is it possible for the company's Director and shareholder to qualify for Entrepreneur's Relief and pay 10% tax?

    Thanks in advance.

    The rules are changing and you may have to wait until after the budget :



      Generally, Entrepreneurs relief isn't available for a property investment business.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Latest Activity


      • CGT under the threshold once split with husband?
        by stuco
        Hi hoping someone can clarify...

        I'm busy doing 2019-20 return. We sold a BTL during that year for £79500. As it was jointly owned between me and husband do I treat it as selling for £39750 for my part (and his) and therefore below the £48000 amount that you have to report on SA for...
        08-04-2020, 10:29 AM
      • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by Claymore

        My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

        If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

        Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
        18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
      • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by Lawcruncher
        Things to consider:

        Think carefully before giving assets away as you do not know what the future holds.

        If you put an asset into trust or give it away as part of a tax planning exercise you are going to lose control over it.

        If you have fears about what may happen...
        07-04-2020, 15:54 PM
      • SA105 Property Expenses
        by Pejayef
        Our tenants reported a leaking roof back in January which didn't actually recur again after the initial report, they moved out in February and while we were freshening up the house for the new tenants we had the roof inspected, and decided that rather than pay out for a patch job that we would replace...
        07-04-2020, 10:47 AM
      • Reply to SA105 Property Expenses
        by jpkeates
        It's still an operating cost and still allowable.
        A very cautious person might allocate some of the cost as a capital item, but I wouldn't.

        Allowable costs are any costs incurred solely and exclusively for the business.
        Then you allocate them as either operational (allowed against...
        07-04-2020, 11:24 AM
      • Reply to SA105 Property Expenses
        by Pejayef
        Hi jpkeates, I understood that a repair could be counted, but we chose to replace the whole roof, rather than go for just a repair...
        07-04-2020, 11:15 AM
      • Reply to SA105 Property Expenses
        by jpkeates
        Why do you think the roof repair can't be claimed against tax?
        07-04-2020, 10:49 AM
      • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
        by Gordon999
        The IHT tax rate of 40% tax rate is currently charged on the estate value exceeding £325K ( first £325K is free of IHT tax ) . The £325K starting level for IHT tax may be raised to £500K level, if the family home is left to children of the deceased person.

        07-04-2020, 08:54 AM
      • Rent aroom property relief.
        by calista
        Hi Qick Q i cant find the answer online..

        Can i claim rent a room relief on a rent of 300pounds a month at my first property where I live. 3600 a year.

        I rent a second property 1200 pcm, where I do not live and would not claim the rent a room relief- or rather i pay tax normally...
        31-03-2020, 12:10 PM
      • Reply to Rent aroom property relief.
        by Gordon999
        The rent-a-room scheme (rent below £7500 ) applies to a room in your own home.

        06-04-2020, 19:50 PM