Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to CGT When Selling a Previous Residential Property

Hi

I think I heard there are changes being made to Private Residential Relief, as in that it is being completely removed?

If I lived in my property for 20 years, then let it out for 2 years, am I due to pay CGT on 2 of the 22 years (ie, the gain over 22 years, divided by 22 and multiplied by 2). Or is there a way that the CGT can be calculated from the time it has been rented out? The property has actually decreased in value since letting out.

Grateful for clarifications on new rules.

Many thanks
    Claymore.

The capital gain achieved by the property during " owner occupation " is exempt for cgt.

Using your example , taking the total period of ownership at 22 years, the total period for owner occupation is currently counted as 20 years stay + 18 months after moving out.
    But after 6 April 2020, the 18 months period reduces to 9 months. Also the lettings relief can only be claimed if the owner was living with a lodger.

So you would be charged tax on capital gain only for the rental period = 1 year + 3 months .

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

To clarify the above further - it is not how much increase there has been over 2 years -- but the TOTAL increase in price over 22 years x 2/22 (just using 1 year for easier calculation). So if the price increased (over the 22 years) by more than 22/2 x the CGT allowance you would pay tax (an increase of maybe less than about £130K in price over 22 years you would escape tax) -- there are various other adjustments like legal costs. Lettings relief will be gone.

But you should sell fast - 2 years have passed and the tax is rapidly going to start biting ..... so after another 2 years you will pay tax if the price has increased by about £66 K since you bought it 22 years ago. That number is going change every month you wait.

It is TOTALLY irrelevant that the price has decreased since you first let it out -- that does not help you much at all (apart from reducing the absolute gain a bit). Understand that or be burned....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
          by JamesHopeful
          I'm about to move overseas for a couple of years.

I know that I need to submit an NRL1 to allow my letting agent to continue to pay my rent to me gross. However, do I need to submit any other forms at this stage? (e.g. a form informing HMRC that I'm going overseas in the first place?)...
          05-07-2020, 15:43 PM
        • Reply to Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
          by Gordon999
          I would submit your tax return for 2019-2020
          05-07-2020, 19:54 PM
        • Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
          by cadence248
          Good afternoon all,

I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave...
          02-07-2020, 15:11 PM
        • Reply to Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
          by jpkeates
          When you complete your tax return, you no longer deduct the interest (and any other finance related costs, e.g. a setup fee) you have paid as an allowable expense.
          You calculate the tax you would pay without that deduction (i.e. income less other expenses at the appropriate rate(s))
          Then...
          04-07-2020, 12:40 PM
          by Kape65
          The 20% credit is automatically applied, you would have been getting it for the last 3 years!
          04-07-2020, 10:19 AM
          by jpkeates
          The only people negatively affected by the change in how the interest can be claimed are higher rate tax payers and standard rate tax payers who were close to the higher rate threshold.

For most landlords, the change is simply in how the tax is calculated, the outcome is the same.
          04-07-2020, 08:58 AM
        • Can we claim back the VAT?
          by 529 Charlie
          We are 3 Leaseholders each with a share of the freehold of our shared building. Purchase of our flats meant we also became Directors of a dormant Management Company. We need urgent maintenance/Major Works doing and wondered how and if we can claim back the VAT charged by the builder(s).

03-07-2020, 18:13 PM
        • Reply to Can we claim back the VAT?
          by Gordon999
          Your lease should require the leaseholders to pay annual service charge contribution to the management company.

To keep the non-profit making Management Company dormant which is easier for filing annual returns to Companies House, the service charge money collected from the leaseholders...
          04-07-2020, 08:18 AM
        • Reply to Tax Return
          by Gordon999
          Revised figures for your situation ( for 12 months rent.)

Annual rental income = £6000

Buildings insurance = £0.

Maintenance & Repairs = £100

Letting agent = 12 x £60 = £720

Total Expenses = £820

Profit = £6000-...
          04-07-2020, 07:50 AM
        • Tax Return
          by Brian862107
          Does anyone know of any good online tutorials/guides for filling out your self-assessment tax return? I don't know about you's but I hate filling out forms (they always ask you to tick a box to say the information you've put in is correct too!!)!

This is my first year filling out the self-assessment...
          01-07-2020, 15:51 PM
        Working...
        X