Changes to CGT When Selling a Previous Residential Property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Changes to CGT When Selling a Previous Residential Property


    I think I heard there are changes being made to Private Residential Relief, as in that it is being completely removed?

    If I lived in my property for 20 years, then let it out for 2 years, am I due to pay CGT on 2 of the 22 years (ie, the gain over 22 years, divided by 22 and multiplied by 2). Or is there a way that the CGT can be calculated from the time it has been rented out? The property has actually decreased in value since letting out.

    Grateful for clarifications on new rules.

    Many thanks

    The capital gain achieved by the property during " owner occupation " is exempt for cgt.

    Using your example , taking the total period of ownership at 22 years, the total period for owner occupation is currently counted as 20 years stay + 18 months after moving out.
    But after 6 April 2020, the 18 months period reduces to 9 months. Also the lettings relief can only be claimed if the owner was living with a lodger.

    So you would be charged tax on capital gain only for the rental period = 1 year + 3 months .


      Thank you.


        To clarify the above further - it is not how much increase there has been over 2 years -- but the TOTAL increase in price over 22 years x 2/22 (just using 1 year for easier calculation). So if the price increased (over the 22 years) by more than 22/2 x the CGT allowance you would pay tax (an increase of maybe less than about £130K in price over 22 years you would escape tax) -- there are various other adjustments like legal costs. Lettings relief will be gone.

        But you should sell fast - 2 years have passed and the tax is rapidly going to start biting ..... so after another 2 years you will pay tax if the price has increased by about £66 K since you bought it 22 years ago. That number is going change every month you wait.

        It is TOTALLY irrelevant that the price has decreased since you first let it out -- that does not help you much at all (apart from reducing the absolute gain a bit). Understand that or be burned....


        Latest Activity


        • CGT under the threshold once split with husband?
          by stuco
          Hi hoping someone can clarify...

          I'm busy doing 2019-20 return. We sold a BTL during that year for £79500. As it was jointly owned between me and husband do I treat it as selling for £39750 for my part (and his) and therefore below the £48000 amount that you have to report on SA for...
          08-04-2020, 10:29 AM
        • Reply to CGT under the threshold once split with husband?
          by AndrewDod
          Why exactly don't you want to declare it? If you are submitting a return anyway....
          09-04-2020, 00:06 AM
        • Reply to CGT under the threshold once split with husband?
          by stuco
          The £48000 figure is mentioned within the SA form. There is the option to submit a CGT form if you've disposed of a chargeable asset and it says something along the lines of if the value is more than £48000 (I'm assuming it equates to 4 x this years allowance) and you've made a gain over the allowance....
          08-04-2020, 20:15 PM
        • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
          by Gordon999
          To answer your question - Capital gains tax is exempt on capital gains from disposal of main residence.

          So gifting 50% of your current home ( main residence ) to your son will be free of sdlt and cgt. You can continue to stay in the property without paying rent because you still own...
          08-04-2020, 16:11 PM
        • Implications of Gifting a % of Property
          by Claymore

          My main residence is unencumbered. I am thinking ahead (with the thought of the 7 year rule on inheritance tax).

          If I gift my son 50% of my property now - would I still be OK to live in the house?

          Would there be any immediate tax consequences of gifting him...
          18-03-2020, 15:29 PM
        • Reply to CGT under the threshold once split with husband?
          by Gordon999
          The capital gains after sale of BTL property is calculated from "sale proceeds" minus "acquisition cost" including costs charged by estate agent and conveyancing solicitor costs.

          For example : If the sale proceeds after deducting selling costs , was £78,000 and original...
          08-04-2020, 15:53 PM
        • Reply to Implications of Gifting a % of Property
          by Lawcruncher
          Things to consider:

          Think carefully before giving assets away as you do not know what the future holds.

          If you put an asset into trust or give it away as part of a tax planning exercise you are going to lose control over it.

          If you have fears about what may happen...
          07-04-2020, 15:54 PM
        • Reply to SA105 Property Expenses
          by jpkeates
          It's still an operating cost and still allowable.
          A very cautious person might allocate some of the cost as a capital item, but I wouldn't.

          Allowable costs are any costs incurred solely and exclusively for the business.
          Then you allocate them as either operational (allowed against...
          07-04-2020, 11:24 AM
        • SA105 Property Expenses
          by Pejayef
          Our tenants reported a leaking roof back in January which didn't actually recur again after the initial report, they moved out in February and while we were freshening up the house for the new tenants we had the roof inspected, and decided that rather than pay out for a patch job that we would replace...
          07-04-2020, 10:47 AM
        • Reply to SA105 Property Expenses
          by Pejayef
          Hi jpkeates, I understood that a repair could be counted, but we chose to replace the whole roof, rather than go for just a repair...
          07-04-2020, 11:15 AM