Private residence relief - cgt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private residence relief - cgt

I purchased an old dilapidated cottage in Oct 2017 and it was then demolished in May 2018, but I never lived in the cottage. A new house was then built and completed in March 2019 when I then took occupation. I have since met a lovely guy and am going to move in with him next month. I have made about £100k profit from this project and if I sell now I would not pay CGT, as its been my main residence for about a year. However, I am considering renting it out for 18 months and take advantage of the Private Residence Relief, ie I can rent it out for 18 months before I pay any CGT, although I realise there is currently a potential change of law, which may reduce this to 9 months.

My question is - on the CGT form, the wording is "You have one home and you've lived in it as your main home for all the time you've owned it". But in my case, I have owned the land on which stood the old cottage, but have not lived in it all the time I have owned it, ie it stood empty, then demolished. I assume HMC will not charge me CGT on this period of time, although I was not living there nor was I renting it out, it was just empty????
    Thanks

Why would you "not pay CGT" if you have been resident for 1 year of 2.5 years on a £100K profit. That's simply not the case. You had some other residence - PRR is about residence not ownership.

Arguably since it really is a totally new house some sort of two-period calculation might apply - on the land versus the house. I would definitely discuss this one with HMRC BEFORE selling - as you may want to live there longer to dilute the gain. The issue is whether they will regard the cost of the massive building work as a relief or effectively a sale of a new item to yourself.

But anyway this is exactly how some developers escape tax while the rest of us pay - building houses, pretending to live there (or actually living there) for some nominal time, and effectively writing all of their business profits (millions) to CG on own homes.

Comment

It's not a potential change in law, the 18 months relief will be 9 months for completions after April 5th.
      Letting relief will only apply to live in landlords from the same date.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You can only claim one main residence at any time.
        If you have owned it since Oct 2017 and the old building was replaced by a new building before you moved in , you can claim the period before moving in was for improvement work on your main residence. If you have not claimed main residence at another address, then you should claim it for this current address. As owner occupier and no subletting , you should be able to sell without CGT.
        Don't risk diluting your main residence exemption by renting for 18 months ( PPR relief reduces to 9 months in April ) .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
          06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
        • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
          by jpkeates
          You have to make the return to tell HMRC there is no tax to pay, if that's the case.
          There is no option not to tell HMRC....
          09-12-2021, 09:58 AM
          by Gordon999
          I think Andrew is correct .

You start with 1/3 interest ( in 1982 valued at £6500 ? ) plus 1/6 interest from parent1 ( valued at £20K ?) plus 1/2 interest from parent 2 ( valued at £60K ? ). This probably takes your total entry cost to around £40K.

Your total capital...
          09-12-2021, 09:47 AM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          Hi Andrew
          First of all I've got an initial appointment to speak to an accountant on Friday!

Can I just check where you write ' ...at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you for CGT purposes as the survivors would share the whole'.

Does...
          08-12-2021, 18:02 PM
          by jpkeates
          Even if probate wasn't mandatory, it would probably have been useful.
          08-12-2021, 13:44 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Yes this would be the case if it was jointly owned (not as tenants in common). The situation would be that at death 1/6th of the value of the whole would have been deemed to pass to you (for CGT purposes), as the survivors would share the whole.

So for the 3 periods you would be taken...
          08-12-2021, 12:51 PM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          jpkeates
          There was no estate as such, property jointly owned - they were both retired at time of purchase living on small pensions, hence I bought with them so they could stay in the home they'd been renting from council from early 1950s to March 1982 at time of purchase. And I paid for the initial...
          08-12-2021, 10:50 AM
          by jpkeates
          I don't know the historic thresholds, but it's bizarre that there's no probate for both of your parents, their estate has to be tiny for that to be possible nowadays.
          It's probably too late for HMRC to do anything about that, but that process sets the values for CGT calculations later on, so it's...
          08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
          by reluctantlandlord1976
          Morning Andrew
          Thanks for your response early this morning and clarifying I have to make three separate calculations [the split wasn't clear on the CGT calculator].
          I understand the query on the value but this is an ex council house on a council estate [I feel I have to defend it here as...
          08-12-2021, 08:45 AM
          by AndrewDod
          As gordon indicates you need to consider it in three entirely separate parts, each have their own gain and calculation --

The part YOU owned before Death 1
          The part YOU owned between Death 1 and Death 2
          The part you owned after Death 2

Based on the values you give...
          08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
        Working...
        X