Jersey Bank interest on uk self-assessment form

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Jersey Bank interest on uk self-assessment form

    Got question with regards to income tax
    I’m a British citizen, non-resident in the uk and Eu.
    At present I file a uk self-assessment every year for uk property income.
    I have a bank account in jersey, that has just started to pay interest
    on some very small savings, (I have never resident in jersey)
    as a non uk resident, do I need to put this interest earned on the uk self-assessment tax form?
    I kind of think no, but just want to be sure.
    I do file my own tax return, so no accountant to ask.
    Any help would be great
    thanks royboy1.

    Where does the interest get paid?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      If your total income in UK is below £43K, you have a personal savings allowance of £1000 which is tax free.


      Latest Activity


      • Could we be more tax efficient!
        by bobcat
        Hi all,

        We are currently completing the annual tax return for my wife and just wondering whether we could be more tax efficient! We no longer have any loans on the properties or major replacements planned so our tax payable is more than previous years. I don't mind paying tax but am wondering...
        09-12-2019, 17:40 PM
      • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
        by bobcat
        Thanks I will start to keep a diary of all my mileage and claim it going forwards...
        15-12-2019, 14:40 PM
      • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
        by bobcat
        Thanks I will go ahead and claim the £4 a week....
        15-12-2019, 14:39 PM
      • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
        by JK0
        It's only if you have an agent running the place, the flat is assumed to be managed from there, so your trips to the agent are deemed to be you 'travelling to work'. (Sounds nonsense to me, but there we are.)

        If there is no agent. or you are between lettings, I'd say you can claim mile...
        13-12-2019, 12:10 PM
      • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
        by jpkeates
        An employer can pay an employee £4 a week without it being taxable to cover the additional costs if the employee works from home.

        So I make the claim on the same basis and have done for years.
        No one's ever queried it.
        It's not consistent with the HMRC advice for small businesses,...
        13-12-2019, 10:55 AM
      • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
        by bobcat
        Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and apologise for the delay in responding.

        I think of all the possible things mentioned the only things I don't claim for at the moment are mileage, home office and apportioning a phone bill so will look at those in more detail.

        In terms...
        13-12-2019, 09:53 AM
      • Responses from HMRC
        by AndrewDod
        Is anyone getting any responses from HMRC these days at all. I sent then two R17 forms with certificates of postage -- one a year ago, another a month ago. No response or acknowledgement at all....
        11-12-2019, 17:51 PM
      • Reply to Responses from HMRC
        by Gordon999
        You can call the tax office hotline , quote your tax reference and ask if your recent letter / form R17 has been entered under your file ?...
        12-12-2019, 22:56 PM
      • CGT Online Tax Return Question
        by Tricky19
        I have a couple of questions relating to my online self-assessment for the CGT calculation on a rental property i have sold.

        I originally lived in the property as my primary residence and had some improvement works done which added to the value of the property. I will be deducting these...
        06-12-2019, 14:53 PM
      • Reply to CGT Online Tax Return Question
        by Gordon999
        For calculation of capital gain after sale, the gain (= "sale proceeds" minus "acquisition costs" ) and you want to include the cost of 6 additional buildings and not kept the receipts, you still show the calculation in the tax return but you declare the acquisition cost is based...
        12-12-2019, 22:50 PM