X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jersey Bank interest on uk self-assessment form

Hi
    Got question with regards to income tax
    I’m a British citizen, non-resident in the uk and Eu.
    At present I file a uk self-assessment every year for uk property income.
    I have a bank account in jersey, that has just started to pay interest
    on some very small savings, (I have never resident in jersey)
    as a non uk resident, do I need to put this interest earned on the uk self-assessment tax form?
    I kind of think no, but just want to be sure.
    I do file my own tax return, so no accountant to ask.
    Any help would be great
    thanks royboy1.

Where does the interest get paid?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If your total income in UK is below £43K, you have a personal savings allowance of £1000 which is tax free.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ings-allowance

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Stamp duty / Tennents in common
        by jpkeates
        1 - Yes, but it's a sale.
        2 - Yes, they'll pay SDLT at the market value (well 99%) with the surcharged VAT.

I don't really see the point of the arrangement.

At the end of the transactions, you've spent £150,000, gifted £148,500 of property to your father and could now...
        07-07-2020, 10:50 AM
      • Stamp duty / Tennents in common
        by Jk2020
        Hi,

I'm a first time buyer currently living with parents and looking for a buy to let, for example house worth 150K (in cash)

I understand i dont need to pay stamp duty (first time buyer)

I would then like to be tennants in common with my dad, and split it (Dad...
        07-07-2020, 09:42 AM
      • Reply to Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
        by Gordon999
        I would submit your tax return for 2019-2020
        05-07-2020, 19:54 PM
      • Moving overseas - forms to submit to HMRC
        by JamesHopeful
        I'm about to move overseas for a couple of years.

I know that I need to submit an NRL1 to allow my letting agent to continue to pay my rent to me gross. However, do I need to submit any other forms at this stage? (e.g. a form informing HMRC that I'm going overseas in the first place?)...
        05-07-2020, 15:43 PM
      • Reply to Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
        by jpkeates
        When you complete your tax return, you no longer deduct the interest (and any other finance related costs, e.g. a setup fee) you have paid as an allowable expense.
        You calculate the tax you would pay without that deduction (i.e. income less other expenses at the appropriate rate(s))
        Then...
        04-07-2020, 12:40 PM
      • Changes to Landlords tax relief and landlords tax credit
        by cadence248
        Good afternoon all,

I've been getting to grips with the changes to landlord's tax relief over the last few years. One thing that worries me considerably is that since all rental income is now taxed, and I must pay my loan interest and repayments out of this also, that really doesn't leave...
        02-07-2020, 15:11 PM
        by Kape65
        The 20% credit is automatically applied, you would have been getting it for the last 3 years!
        04-07-2020, 10:19 AM
        by jpkeates
        The only people negatively affected by the change in how the interest can be claimed are higher rate tax payers and standard rate tax payers who were close to the higher rate threshold.

For most landlords, the change is simply in how the tax is calculated, the outcome is the same.
        04-07-2020, 08:58 AM
      • Can we claim back the VAT?
        by 529 Charlie
        We are 3 Leaseholders each with a share of the freehold of our shared building. Purchase of our flats meant we also became Directors of a dormant Management Company. We need urgent maintenance/Major Works doing and wondered how and if we can claim back the VAT charged by the builder(s).

03-07-2020, 18:13 PM
      • Reply to Can we claim back the VAT?
        by Gordon999
        Your lease should require the leaseholders to pay annual service charge contribution to the management company.

To keep the non-profit making Management Company dormant which is easier for filing annual returns to Companies House, the service charge money collected from the leaseholders...
        04-07-2020, 08:18 AM
      Working...
      X