Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital gains on selling House pre/post April 2020

Hi

I have a house which is currently rented and I am considering selling it.I just did some calculations and it seems the changes to the lettings relief will sting me but I want to make sure I have got my calculations correct. Details are:

I brought the house for £33.360 on the 25th may 2001 left the house November 2014 and rented it from December 2014 till present day I could sell for £190.000

But i spent £13000 on home improvements
    And sales fees of £1800
    So a Taxable profit of £141.840
    I have lived in the house for 161 months plus with current tax laws im allowed 18 months on top of that so its 179 out of the 222 months i have owned the house .
    If my calculations are right i should be entitled to 80.630 % of PPR so £114.365
    So now i am left with £27475
    I think so far i am correct
    Now the next bit im not sure on is it £40.000 Letting relief or a percentage of the £27475 i have left to take into account
    If it is £40000 then the bill is zero
    So if anyone can throw some light on the Letting relief i would be grateful
    Also the tax change states that you have to sell the house by April 6th 2020. So for example if i agreed to sell lets say start of December but there was a hold up on paper work by solicitors and it went past the April 6th deadline , would i be liable to the new tax laws or would i be ok as the process was started in December

The letting relief is capped at the gain, not £40k, but your calculation is basically correct despite that.
    The tax event is completion, not agreeing the sale.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You have to exchange contracts before 5 April 2020 to claim £40K lettings relief .

https://alexander.co.uk/news/letting...your-own-home/

After 6 April 2020, the 18 months period is reduced to 9 months and lettings relief can only be claimed by landlord sharing the home with a lodger/tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
        You have to exchange contracts before 5 April 2020 to claim £40K lettings relief .

https://alexander.co.uk/news/letting...your-own-home/

After 6 April 2020, the 18 months period is reduced to 9 months and lettings relief can only be claimed by landlord sharing the home with a lodger/tenant.
        Well thats handy to know that its at exchange of contracts and not completion as it might buy me a bit more time.
        Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          The letting relief is capped at the gain, not £40k, but your calculation is basically correct despite that.
          The tax event is completion, not agreeing the sale.
          So if for arguments sake i had £39000 left after taking away expenses and PPR i would still pay zero as im still under the £40000 limit , am i reading this right .

Comment

Letting Relief is capped at the lowest of:

£40,000
            The taxable gain or
            The amount of PRR

So in the example in your first post the PRR is £114 and change, the taxable gain is £27475 and £40k is £40k.
            So the lowest of those is £27475 and so you'd owe nothing.

If what was left was £39k it would obviously depend on the other figures, but if they were otherwise the same as your first example, yes.

Don't forget you have £12k of tax free allowance to play with as well.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks jpkeates

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Could we be more tax efficient!
                by bobcat
                Hi all,

We are currently completing the annual tax return for my wife and just wondering whether we could be more tax efficient! We no longer have any loans on the properties or major replacements planned so our tax payable is more than previous years. I don't mind paying tax but am wondering...
                09-12-2019, 17:40 PM
              • Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
                by JK0
                It's only if you have an agent running the place, the flat is assumed to be managed from there, so your trips to the agent are deemed to be you 'travelling to work'. (Sounds nonsense to me, but there we are.)

If there is no agent. or you are between lettings, I'd say you can claim mile...
                13-12-2019, 12:10 PM
                by jpkeates
                An employer can pay an employee £4 a week without it being taxable to cover the additional costs if the employee works from home.

So I make the claim on the same basis and have done for years.
                No one's ever queried it.
                It's not consistent with the HMRC advice for small businesses,...
                13-12-2019, 10:55 AM
                by bobcat
                Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and apologise for the delay in responding.

I think of all the possible things mentioned the only things I don't claim for at the moment are mileage, home office and apportioning a phone bill so will look at those in more detail.

In terms...
                13-12-2019, 09:53 AM
              • Responses from HMRC
                by AndrewDod
                Is anyone getting any responses from HMRC these days at all. I sent then two R17 forms with certificates of postage -- one a year ago, another a month ago. No response or acknowledgement at all....
                11-12-2019, 17:51 PM
              • Reply to Responses from HMRC
                by Gordon999
                You can call the tax office hotline , quote your tax reference and ask if your recent letter / form R17 has been entered under your file ?...
                12-12-2019, 22:56 PM
              • CGT Online Tax Return Question
                by Tricky19
                I have a couple of questions relating to my online self-assessment for the CGT calculation on a rental property i have sold.

I originally lived in the property as my primary residence and had some improvement works done which added to the value of the property. I will be deducting these...
                06-12-2019, 14:53 PM
              • Reply to CGT Online Tax Return Question
                by Gordon999
                For calculation of capital gain after sale, the gain (= "sale proceeds" minus "acquisition costs" ) and you want to include the cost of 6 additional buildings and not kept the receipts, you still show the calculation in the tax return but you declare the acquisition cost is based...
                12-12-2019, 22:50 PM
              • Reply to Responses from HMRC
                by tatemono
                my wife and I filed paper returns in August and received our tax statements on the same day in November. Hoping not to hear from them again for a while ;-)
                12-12-2019, 21:46 PM
              • Existing property and existing Ltd Co - Tax question
                by Iceboy74
                Hi All,

I have a LTD co, via which I have been doing consulting for 12 years. About a year a go I asked my accountant to change the SIC codes to include property development, rental etc.

I have just refurbished a house and the Estate Agent has asked me if I want the agreement...
                10-12-2019, 11:39 AM
              Working...
              X