SDLT / Mixed Use Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDLT / Mixed Use Query

I have recently purchased a share in two properties which back onto each other, under separate titles. The front block has a house, the back an office with vacant land. Both plots are similar sizes.
    The back block is what remains of a commercial enterprise which was sold and the house was used as a residence by the owners of that business.
    My husband dealt with the legalities, instructing the solicitor to submit the SDLT form and deal with a couple of small technicalities. Other than a request for my NI number and DOB, no further information was asked of me. I heard nothing more so assumed no tax was due as the entire sale was under £125,000.

I am now concerned, having read about second properties, that as I own a rental property I should have paid tax on this transaction. When I queried this with my solicitor, he advised that I had not asked for legal advice and that the sale was treated as commercial, therefore no tax was due. This seems odd as we had mentioned in an earlier email one plot had the house, the other an office.I also questioned why no-one had asked me about owning any other property to which I got no response.

Its my belief that an apportionment should be made for each block (with the house title being of higher value)and hope that HMRC agree. I cannot see how the residential dwelling, whilst bordering the commercial site can be treated as commercial when it has its own title and was used as a home.
    Or can it be argued, the house, given its association with the business for some forty years, be considered to have a commercial element to it?
    I can't see how it could and think the solicitor has made an error. I also feel they had a duty of care to obtain all necessary information from me in order to accurately complete and submit the SDLT form as instructed to do so.

Should two SDLT forms have been completed; one residential/ one commercial, given each block has its own title or one application with mixed use applied?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by Bilo; 04-11-2019, 16:20 PM. Reason: Content Omitted

For mixed-use property with residential and commercial parts, the sdlt starts at £150K. So don't worry if your total purchase was under £125K ..

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I requested confirmation from my solicitor that this was the case to which he agreed, stating he had forgotten there was a house on the block but the commercial footprint is greater so no tax is due. Now he is expecting us to correct the SDLT application with HMRC when his firm submitted it under commercial usage only, without consultation. I will be asking him to correct his errors.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent aroom property relief.
        by calista
        Hi Qick Q i cant find the answer online..

Can i claim rent a room relief on a rent of 300pounds a month at my first property where I live. 3600 a year.

I rent a second property 1200 pcm, where I do not live and would not claim the rent a room relief- or rather i pay tax normally...
        31-03-2020, 12:10 PM
      • Reply to Rent aroom property relief.
        by calista
        Thanks for your reply, this is what i thought, but couldn't find anything on the government page to back it up.
        01-04-2020, 21:13 PM
      • Reply to S24 deduction of interest payment / Covid-19 Virus
        by jpkeates
        I don't think that many landlords will pay any more tax, it'll catch some, but I'd have thought for the majority of landlords it's tax neutral.
        A small number of landlords will pay slightly more tax isn't much of a headline, though.

At the time as s24 has been introduced, the personal...
        01-04-2020, 13:13 PM
      • S24 deduction of interest payment / Covid-19 Virus
        by Flashback1966
        I am wondering if S24 tax changes are going to come and haunt landlords.

Under the tax changes landlords can't deduct interest payments in full. Individual Landlords have been paying more tax, then is fair.

You could end up with a situation where the tenant wont or can't...
        01-04-2020, 08:06 AM
      • Reply to Selling part share
        by Bill31
        Im sure the reservation relies on the person who made the gift.
        If we was to sell the property and take our 50/50 share of the sale price would that release the gift with reservation if we then went on to buy our own property
        01-04-2020, 12:27 PM
      • Selling part share
        by Bill31
        5 years ago i gifted part of my property to my son as joint tenants. We lived in the property together. So its possibly a grob.

Now we want to go our separate ways. Could he buy my share out so he owns the whole house. And i use the money to buy elsewhere. Could this introduce a IHT or...
        31-03-2020, 13:41 PM
        by jpkeates
        The reservation will depend (as far as I can see) on who pays the running costs of the property.
        If the running costs are split in line with the ownership, it's one thing, if the property is run as though it was the mother's house with her continuing to pay all the bills is another.
        01-04-2020, 09:58 AM
        by AndrewDod
        Well if CGT was not payable on the first slice it won't be on the second.

I don't see that you retained a benefit, but I can't find any case law to that effect. But if rent was payable it would have gone in both directions (you would have paid your son half the rent and he would have paid...
        31-03-2020, 18:19 PM
        by Bill31
        Interesting that it may not be a grob as we own it all together. But surely hmrc will view it as i retained a benefit.

Its our only main property i dnt think any cgt will be due. I was asking will cgt be due if i make another gift or sell my share to get my name of deeds?
        I ask because...
        31-03-2020, 17:35 PM
        by AndrewDod
        Although they were BOTH living there and both owned it -- so the share gifted is probably not a GROB. It would be if only the OP was living there (owning only a portion) and not paying rent.

It depends on the proportion - if the OP owned 1% and paid no rent - I think it would be in GROB...
        31-03-2020, 17:09 PM
      Working...
      X