Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance payment flow of funds

Hi all,

I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance renewals.

This director also has a separate business, which has a business banking account, this is not related to our management company in any way.

A question has come up regarding payments for maintenance works and also things like insurance renewals.

Do I increase my tax liability/chance of questions from HMRC if I make maintenance, insurance, etc. payments to this business account? The payment would then be aggregated with the other two flats and sent onward to the service provider.

Or is it best practice to make the payment directly from my BTL account (where rent is paid to and other miscellaneous expenses come out of) to the service provider so that payment can marry up with a third of each invoice?

Thanks in advance.

It is better for the service charge money to be kept in a separate current account because the bank statement records can be made available for inspection by any leaseholder. The unspent service charge money / funds should not be mixed with a business account belonging to one of the leaseholders.

Comment

I'm not clear as to whether the company is the actual freeholder, or you are tenants in common. In the latter case, setting up a company is an unnecessary expense, which probably cannot be fully funded from the service charges.

Also I'm not clear as to whether any service charges are paid on account (more than trivially in advance of being spent).

Service charges are held in trust. It is bad practice to mix trust money in the same account as other money, however, if the money is only passing through the account very quickly, this may be tolerable.

There is legislation that has been enacted but never commenced that would absolutely require a nominated trust account to be operated. and there is guidance in a document with similar status to the Highway Code, that this should be done.

It is possible that the bank may not be happy with the account being shared.

Note that that the management company must be not for profit, otherwise it will be subject to legislation applying to managing agents, regarding redress schemes.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

We are tenants in common and although the initial idea was to pay funds in advance, I am not for this so the plan would be that funds are paid as they are required.

What about HMRC, does anybody know if I'd be unable to offset these payments against tax given that they've gone into an unrelated account?

I also presume the actual statements will not be made available to me as they'd have other business transactions going on that I should not be privvy to. So if I can't prove the money left the actual account to pay for the service provider, would I be able to offset this expense against tax?

Regards
        Kots

Comment

For your BTL letting business , you are required to keep proper records of the rental income and expenses for each year and be able to report the figures in your annual income tax return.

The rental income and expenses must be supported by bookkeeping records, suppliers invoices and your bank account statements and cheque payments for allowable expenses paid to suppliers. These records have to be kept for 6 years in case of tax audit .

If you operate an online bank account for your BTL , you must print out bank records on monthly basis to have a record of bank payment transfers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• IHT on property question
            by Bill31
            I have been living in my parents home for last 10 years and it is my primary residence. i dont currently own anything else.
            My dad passed away 3 years back and my mum removed his named from the deeds of property and added me as joint ownership with her 50/50 on land registry

we live...
            20-11-2019, 13:46 PM
          • Reply to IHT on property question
            by jpkeates
            No problem, happy to help.
            It's worthwhile talking things through with a family solicitor, though.

You and your mother want to make sure your wills are watertight.
            Many people who lose their spouse tend not to update any will that they had previously set up with their partner,...
            21-11-2019, 12:46 PM
            by Bill31
            thanks jp for yr assistance. it cleared a few things up and put my mind at ease. just needed a idea where i stand so i can plan better going forward when i seek advice.
            21-11-2019, 11:44 AM
            by jpkeates
            Joint ownership would also avoid IHT even if one of the joint tenants wasn't living there - provided they hadn't been given the joint tenancy for nothing (that's the unusual element of your situation)....
            21-11-2019, 11:34 AM
            by Bill31
            I spoke with HMRC IHT and CGT dept about all this, as it was bothering me.

Correct its not a gift with reservation as we are both living there as our main residence. They said upon either individuals death the property will go all to the other person. There is possibly no need for probate...
            21-11-2019, 11:12 AM
          • Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
            by Phyllis
            I have inherited a property from my father. It needs TOTAL refurbishment and Is suited to conversion into two self contained, three bedroom flats. My plan is to rent the flats out once refurbished. I realise there are many things to consider and am finding it overwhelming at the moment. I initially...
            19-11-2019, 21:53 PM
          • Reply to Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
            by jpkeates
            Flats can be complex from a title point of view because one of them is dependent on the other, the upstairs flat can't exist independently of the downstairs property.
            You need to get some proper legal advice on how best to administer the title.

While the letting agent is probably...
            21-11-2019, 09:40 AM
            by jpkeates
            It's not a "gift with reservation" if both the person making the gift and the recipient both occupy the property and the recipient doesn't pay anything to the donor.
            That exception is essentially aimed at exactly this kind of situation.

Your mother paying rent wouldn't change...
            21-11-2019, 09:33 AM
          • Reply to Things to consider when renovating, renting, and future capital gains
            by Phyllis
            Thank you both. Estate agent said little call for large rental property here and better return on two three bedroom properties. As far as refurbishment costs, I can figure out the cost of doing two separate properties over doing one and feel I can manage those. I don’t see need to separate the titles...
            21-11-2019, 03:53 AM
            by leaseholder64
            Not paying rent reinforces the reservation of benefits position.

Whilst I believe it would be subject to the 40% marginal rate on that part of the £450k that took the estate over the allowance, my knowledge only really extends to knowing there is an issue in principle, and there may be...
            20-11-2019, 23:35 PM
          Working...
          X