house to flats tax implication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

house to flats tax implication

i have a large house which i have rented for 18 years and i am considering turning into 3 flats. would i be able to sell as a develope (treated as a trader) when the flats are completed?
    would it be a capital gain or would i be able to move them into a company just paying stamp duty

"Moving" it into a company would crystallise the capital gains, based on the market price of the property, at the time, as it is a transaction with a connected party.

Comment

If you sell the house to a company, you would be liable for capital gains tax on the calculated capital gain ( = sale proceeds minus original cost ) at 18% or 28%. But you can claim personal capital gains allowance of about £12K. The company has to pay sdlt.

If you convert the house and separately sell each flat , then you would pay tax after each flat sale on the capital gain
      ( = sale proceeds minus 1/3 house acquisition cost minus 1/3 cost for conversion )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease extension
        Cassie12
        Hi I'm a newbie and would welcome information about any tax relief on a 99 year lease extension I have just paid for....
        21-10-2019, 16:37 PM
      • Reply to Lease extension
        leaseholder64
        It would be against CGT, not income.
        21-10-2019, 17:42 PM
      • SA 700 tax return
        Cassie12
        At the end of February 2019 I did a Share for Share exchange agreement on an offshore company which owns a property to bring the company into the UK jurisdiction. Can anyone tell me do I still do a paper SA700 tax return for the 10 months April 2018 to February 2019 while the company was still in the...
        21-10-2019, 16:23 PM
      • Rent-a-room and tax deductions
        doobrey
        Trying to settle a debate :-

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc.

However, my accountant has stated that I cannot deduct an amount for use of my own property for business purposes, since...
        17-10-2019, 11:57 AM
      • Reply to Rent-a-room and tax deductions
        doobrey
        Thanks. That is what I thought....
        17-10-2019, 13:23 PM
        jpkeates
        No, I believe you would be able to claim an allowance of £4 a week against the income from that business....
        17-10-2019, 13:18 PM
        Gordon999
        The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £7,500 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else. You can let out as much of your home as you want.

So your web design business...
        17-10-2019, 13:04 PM
        doobrey
        I am not suggesting that Rent-a-Room is a business (...and that is, I guess, part of the point of my question).

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc. However, my understanding/assumption is that this...
        17-10-2019, 12:48 PM
      • Maintenance payment flow of funds
        Kots
        Hi all,

I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance...
        15-10-2019, 05:10 AM
      • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
        Gordon999
        For your BTL letting business , you are required to keep proper records of the rental income and expenses for each year and be able to report the figures in your annual income tax return.

The rental income and expenses must be supported by bookkeeping records, suppliers invoices...
        17-10-2019, 12:46 PM
      Working...
      X