house to flats tax implication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

house to flats tax implication

i have a large house which i have rented for 18 years and i am considering turning into 3 flats. would i be able to sell as a develope (treated as a trader) when the flats are completed?
    would it be a capital gain or would i be able to move them into a company just paying stamp duty

"Moving" it into a company would crystallise the capital gains, based on the market price of the property, at the time, as it is a transaction with a connected party.

Comment

If you sell the house to a company, you would be liable for capital gains tax on the calculated capital gain ( = sale proceeds minus original cost ) at 18% or 28%. But you can claim personal capital gains allowance of about £12K. The company has to pay sdlt.

If you convert the house and separately sell each flat , then you would pay tax after each flat sale on the capital gain
      ( = sale proceeds minus 1/3 house acquisition cost minus 1/3 cost for conversion )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
        by anqi_z
        Hello,

Carpets in a let property has worn out and I am considering to replace it with laminate flooring.
        Could anyone advise if this will be tax deductible (assume this won't be considered as improvement)?

Thank you....
        25-05-2020, 19:16 PM
      • Reply to Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
        by Freeholder is king
        If your lease says that the floors need to be carpeted then you got no choice. If it does not then you can and the noise problem is not your issue it depends on what is in your lease. Yes
        31-05-2020, 11:23 AM
        by Gordon999
        Carpets are better for sound insulation between ground floor flat and first floor flat in old house conversions.
        31-05-2020, 08:51 AM
        by jpkeates
        I find that using expensive and long lasting underlay under cheaper carpet works best.
        It feels nice and luxurious and insulates well, and replacing the carpet is less traumatic on the bank balance.
        30-05-2020, 12:25 PM
      • Flipping a property
        by Gray
        My son and I are thinking of buying a property together and renovating it. We were intending to rent it out but now are thinking about just selling it again once work is finished. If we purchase property in three names (our’s and his partner’s), we would get three capital gains allowances is that...
        18-05-2020, 17:53 PM
      • Reply to Flipping a property
        by Jerome2020
        It's not strictly true that a company must be used where there are more than four owners. Where there are more than four parties with an interest in a property, the first named four are treated as holding the land on Trust for the remaining beneficial owners; good documentation is essential to avoid...
        30-05-2020, 11:56 AM
        by blinko
        Yeah I prefer carpet too, but the rate at which tenants seem to be able to destroy carpet compared to laminate.....
        30-05-2020, 11:50 AM
        by Lawcruncher
        Funny how fashions change. Fifty years ago having fitted carpet had a social cachet, now everyone wants laminate flooring. I know it looks nice, but so do carperts. It is fine in a conservatory with cane furniture, but it makes a lounge look clinical. It also increases your central heating costs.
        30-05-2020, 07:51 AM
        by Gordon999
        Land Registry only allows 4 names maximum on the property title.

If more than 4 names , you would need to register under company name and the members in the group become shareholders.

The members can be shareholders with one £1 share each and the company borrows the funds...
        30-05-2020, 05:59 AM
        by jpkeates
        If the property title was a joint tenancy, anyone not contributing to the purchase would have received the ownership as a gift and would be an owner as a matter of fact.
        29-05-2020, 16:26 PM
      Working...
      X