Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 17 and associated evidence

Hi all,

I have been going thru posts on this forum for last couple of days for the issue I am facing. Scenario at my end is as below:
    - Me and my wife are owning a BTL property for last 10 months.
    - At the time of registration of property, we have provided 90:10 allocation between my wife and self to solicitor.
    - The Property registration paper I have does not have any mention about property share between myself and wife.
    - When I was trying to fill our tax return, there was no option for me to provide the joint ownership details in tax form.
    - On research, I come to know about form 17 requirement and associated proof to HMRC.
    - So for FY 2018-19, I know that the tax calculation will take place using default 50:50 share. But to keep things straight for next year, how to go about it?

Questions:
    1) Can my solicitor (who did the conveyancing) can provide the proof? I sent a mail to them and waiting.
    2) Can I approach land registry (by doing some search) to get the allocation proof?
    3) Do I need to do a new 'declaration or deed'?

Looking forward for your guidance.

Regards,
    Amit

It will either be on the Deed submitted to HMLR (but HMLR do not record the split). The original deed will be retained by the solicitor or you, or there will be a formal trust deed. ask the solicitor. In any case Form 17 cannot be activated in retrospect, so even if you do it now it will only cover part of this tax year.

Yes there is an option on the tax form to mention joint ownership -- but you cannot do that (with a spouse) unless the form 17 has been processed.

Comment

Thanks Andrew.

I got TR1 and official copy of register from the solicitor. Only the TR1 is having the %age share for us mentioned (scribbled in pencil). Is this good enough proof to submit along with form 17?

If I need to do anything else, pls let me know.

Thanks,
      Amit

Comment

The tr1 would need to be in the form of a deed. This doesn't sound too good.

Comment

How to go about for a deed? Is that something my solicitor should provide? Will he charge me anything extra?

Comment

I suugest you visit the Land Registry Online website ( avoid fake website ) and pay £3 by credit card to down load a copyof the property title for your property.

It should show the property is in joint names and it may show tenants in common and 90:10 ratio..

If the information is on the property title, then you should ring the tax ofice hotline and ask if Form 17 is required.?

Comment

Hi - Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the acknowledgement from HMRC that they have received the form 17 and the details provide is now recorded. Thanks for all your help on this matter.

I paid £3 to get a copy of property title which was having a mention of % ownership written. I used that document as part of my Form 17 submission.

Thanks,
              Amit

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Loan
                by jase222
                Hi, before I speak to my accountant I was hoping if I could have a rough ideal, tax wise of the following.
                My mother in law has seen a bungalow but the sale of her current house has fallen through, I was thinking about rising a 160k mortgage against a 250k b2let I own outright and lending her...
                27-09-2020, 21:28 PM
              • Reply to Loan
                by Gordon999
                Owning the B2Let property outright means all of the rental profit is taxed at 28% or 40%.

When you raise a loan on the B2Let, the loan interest is not an allowable expense against the rental income. But 20% of the loan annual interest corresponding to the market value of the property...
                28-09-2020, 15:55 PM
              • Reply to Loan
                by Section20z
                Great idea, we did similar for my parents. Remember she will have to pay the added 3% stamp duty, reclaimable when you sell the first house within set time limit....
                28-09-2020, 07:57 AM
              • Reply to Loan
                by jase222
                I thought that, I was thinking more along the lines of gifting etc I know I won't make a penny. I just don't want to get stuff for something....
                28-09-2020, 07:18 AM
              • Reply to Loan
                by Mrs Mug
                As you would not be using the money raised for your rental business, you could not claim any of the costs or interest payments against your tax bill....
                28-09-2020, 06:39 AM
              • Reply to capital gains bill when due
                by AndrewDod
                Not completely following you artful. There is a PERFECTLY GOOD online form which actually works remarkably well running you through the process. I usually criticise shambolic administration - but in this instance it was fine/good.

Press big green start button on this page
                https...
                26-09-2020, 15:37 PM
              • capital gains bill when due
                by halfax
                sold a property in august 2020, informed hmrc , anyone know when i will get thethe tax demand?...
                12-09-2020, 18:51 PM
              • Reply to capital gains bill when due
                by theartfullodger
                Had a look at a tax forum, this does seem to still be a requirement to report within 30 days but, like so much of Cummings' wonderful administration simply doesn't work & has no IT or paper form operational. Do hope someone can prove me wrong... see
                https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/......
                26-09-2020, 15:20 PM
              • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by flyingfreehold
                it applies where someone could exercise their right to compulsorily acquire. we have only claimed the extra statutory concession where an extension is granted strictly clause 56 of the act but it may be allowable on a non statutory extension at a nominal ground rent....
                25-09-2020, 20:24 PM
              • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by divadee
                Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
                07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
              Working...
              X