Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 17 and associated evidence

Hi all,

I have been going thru posts on this forum for last couple of days for the issue I am facing. Scenario at my end is as below:
    - Me and my wife are owning a BTL property for last 10 months.
    - At the time of registration of property, we have provided 90:10 allocation between my wife and self to solicitor.
    - The Property registration paper I have does not have any mention about property share between myself and wife.
    - When I was trying to fill our tax return, there was no option for me to provide the joint ownership details in tax form.
    - On research, I come to know about form 17 requirement and associated proof to HMRC.
    - So for FY 2018-19, I know that the tax calculation will take place using default 50:50 share. But to keep things straight for next year, how to go about it?

Questions:
    1) Can my solicitor (who did the conveyancing) can provide the proof? I sent a mail to them and waiting.
    2) Can I approach land registry (by doing some search) to get the allocation proof?
    3) Do I need to do a new 'declaration or deed'?

Looking forward for your guidance.

Regards,
    Amit

It will either be on the Deed submitted to HMLR (but HMLR do not record the split). The original deed will be retained by the solicitor or you, or there will be a formal trust deed. ask the solicitor. In any case Form 17 cannot be activated in retrospect, so even if you do it now it will only cover part of this tax year.

Yes there is an option on the tax form to mention joint ownership -- but you cannot do that (with a spouse) unless the form 17 has been processed.

Comment

Thanks Andrew.

I got TR1 and official copy of register from the solicitor. Only the TR1 is having the %age share for us mentioned (scribbled in pencil). Is this good enough proof to submit along with form 17?

If I need to do anything else, pls let me know.

Thanks,
      Amit

Comment

The tr1 would need to be in the form of a deed. This doesn't sound too good.

Comment

How to go about for a deed? Is that something my solicitor should provide? Will he charge me anything extra?

Comment

I suugest you visit the Land Registry Online website ( avoid fake website ) and pay £3 by credit card to down load a copyof the property title for your property.

It should show the property is in joint names and it may show tenants in common and 90:10 ratio..

If the information is on the property title, then you should ring the tax ofice hotline and ask if Form 17 is required.?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Second payment on account
              dotcotton999
              Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19...
              02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
            • Reply to Second payment on account
              dotcotton999
              I telephoned HMRC... they said usually the amounts are worked out automatically but there had been issues with some accounts because payments on account hadn’t been generated correctly by them

thanks for all the assistance...
              17-09-2019, 19:46 PM
              Gordon999
              If you make your tax return online, then you can check the "statement " section showing your payments made to tax office against your own bank statements.
              17-09-2019, 00:01 AM
              dotcotton999
              There’s me thinking it’s called self assessment...
              16-09-2019, 19:28 PM
            • Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
              Edgarina
              I am a higher rate tax payer and my wife is not. I have removed myself from the mortgages of the two buy to let properties we have jointly owned and all the proceeds of the properties are now going into an account in my wife's name. Is this enough so I am no longer liable to pay tax on the income from...
              07-09-2019, 13:40 PM
            • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
              Kape65
              With legislation on linked transactions I would suggest their would be a SDLT liability dependent on the mortgage value transferred. If the joint value amounted to £40k or more then 3% would be payable on the entire amount.
              16-09-2019, 18:58 PM
            • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
              Edgarina
              Hi,

The property value is about 55k each so no stamp duty, the bank had no issues at and didn't even mention it but of course I said I was coning off the deeds too and its via the banks (very expensive solicitors).

I have had an opinion from an accountant and yes it looks like...
              16-09-2019, 16:13 PM
              OneSmallStep
              I think if I had a £200K tax bill, then my accountant should really be earning their money and explaining in detail how my liability is calculated....
              16-09-2019, 10:37 AM
            • house to flats tax implication
              halfax
              i have a large house which i have rented for 18 years and i am considering turning into 3 flats. would i be able to sell as a develope (treated as a trader) when the flats are completed?
              would it be a capital gain or would i be able to move them into a company just paying stamp duty
              15-09-2019, 10:51 AM
            • Reply to house to flats tax implication
              Gordon999
              If you sell the house to a company, you would be liable for capital gains tax on the calculated capital gain ( = sale proceeds minus original cost ) at 18% or 28%. But you can claim personal capital gains allowance of about £12K. The company has to pay sdlt.

If you convert the house and...
              15-09-2019, 17:38 PM
            Working...
            X