Form 17 and associated evidence

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Form 17 and associated evidence

    Hi all,

    I have been going thru posts on this forum for last couple of days for the issue I am facing. Scenario at my end is as below:
    - Me and my wife are owning a BTL property for last 10 months.
    - At the time of registration of property, we have provided 90:10 allocation between my wife and self to solicitor.
    - The Property registration paper I have does not have any mention about property share between myself and wife.
    - When I was trying to fill our tax return, there was no option for me to provide the joint ownership details in tax form.
    - On research, I come to know about form 17 requirement and associated proof to HMRC.
    - So for FY 2018-19, I know that the tax calculation will take place using default 50:50 share. But to keep things straight for next year, how to go about it?

    1) Can my solicitor (who did the conveyancing) can provide the proof? I sent a mail to them and waiting.
    2) Can I approach land registry (by doing some search) to get the allocation proof?
    3) Do I need to do a new 'declaration or deed'?

    Looking forward for your guidance.


    It will either be on the Deed submitted to HMLR (but HMLR do not record the split). The original deed will be retained by the solicitor or you, or there will be a formal trust deed. ask the solicitor. In any case Form 17 cannot be activated in retrospect, so even if you do it now it will only cover part of this tax year.

    Yes there is an option on the tax form to mention joint ownership -- but you cannot do that (with a spouse) unless the form 17 has been processed.


      Thanks Andrew.

      I got TR1 and official copy of register from the solicitor. Only the TR1 is having the %age share for us mentioned (scribbled in pencil). Is this good enough proof to submit along with form 17?

      If I need to do anything else, pls let me know.



        The tr1 would need to be in the form of a deed. This doesn't sound too good.


          How to go about for a deed? Is that something my solicitor should provide? Will he charge me anything extra?


            I suugest you visit the Land Registry Online website ( avoid fake website ) and pay £3 by credit card to down load a copyof the property title for your property.

            It should show the property is in joint names and it may show tenants in common and 90:10 ratio..

            If the information is on the property title, then you should ring the tax ofice hotline and ask if Form 17 is required.?


              Hi - Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the acknowledgement from HMRC that they have received the form 17 and the details provide is now recorded. Thanks for all your help on this matter.

              I paid £3 to get a copy of property title which was having a mention of % ownership written. I used that document as part of my Form 17 submission.



              Latest Activity


              • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by flyingfreehold
                it applies where someone could exercise their right to compulsorily acquire. we have only claimed the extra statutory concession where an extension is granted strictly clause 56 of the act but it may be allowable on a non statutory extension at a nominal ground rent....
                25-09-2020, 20:24 PM
              • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by divadee
                Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
                07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
              • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by Gordon999
                You should look at the last set of company's accounts and check if the money to pay for purchase of the freehold is shown money as "borrowed from Director" . The situation may well be the company has made a loss £9K- £10K .and the funds held by the company can be paid back to Director to...
                25-09-2020, 13:23 PM
              • Reply to council tax liability
                by dexterpierson
                That is brilliant.
                Thank you so much
                25-09-2020, 11:21 AM
              • council tax liability
                by dexterpierson
                I had a tenant who moved out of my property without giving any notice and posted the keys through the estate agent's letterbox.
                I notified the council of this and the date the keys were returned and resumed liability for the council tax while the property is empty.
                The council got back in...
                14-09-2019, 10:11 AM
              • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by Section20z
                Does that only apply where they "could have" and did, or also if the non statutory option is followed ?...
                25-09-2020, 08:14 AM
              • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
                by theta
                My understanding (with the caveat that I'm not an accountant) is that the proceeds are not income but partial disposal, therefore return of capital plus gains. Within a company there's no difference between CGT and income tax, but it does mean that you offset the original acquisition cost....
                25-09-2020, 07:06 AM
              • Rumours of CGT moving to marginal income tax rate - would it be immediate?
                by JamesHopeful
                There have been rumours in the press that the Chancellor is considering taxing capital gains at marginal income tax rate, and that this may be announced at the November budget. Does anyone have any idea whether this change be likely to be immediate (like changes to SDLT often are) or would it be from...
                23-09-2020, 14:10 PM
              • Reply to Rumours of CGT moving to marginal income tax rate - would it be immediate?
                by jpkeates
                It's not a fiddle, it's impossible (without a bent accountant).

                The idea that a capital gain can be "realised" through adjusting share prices is wrong.

                Until sold, the value of property (and any increase) simply sits on the balance sheet.
                That may make the business...
                24-09-2020, 18:03 PM
              • Reply to council tax liability
                by jpkeates
                In which case, the council are possibly wrong and the case they're citing shouldn't help them.

                The key part of that decision is that the landlord (who was the owner), knew that the property was empty - and had even said that to the council.
                So it was clear that the landlord could...
                24-09-2020, 17:39 PM