Borrowing against residential to fund commercial - interest fully tax deductible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borrowing against residential to fund commercial - interest fully tax deductible?

I am sure this has been discussed before somewhere but I have done a bit of searching without finding anything. Apologies if I am covering old ground here.

My understanding is that if a mortgage is taken out on a residential property to fund the purchase of a commercial property, interest will be fully tax deductible from the commercial property income. What matters is the purpose, not the security. Is this correct?
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

I have found some references which I think confirm that my understanding of this is correct.

BIM45700

References in the text to a ‘business’ should therefore be taken to include both trades and property businesses...

S34 Income Tax (Trading and Other Income) Act 2005

A proprietor of a business may withdraw the profits of the business and the capital they have introduced to the business, even though substitute funding then has to be provided by interest bearing loans. The interest payable on the loans is an allowable deduction. This is on the basis that the purpose of the additional borrowing is to provide working capital for the business.
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/bim45700

BIM45685

The security for borrowed funds does not determine the use of those funds. It is very common in small businesses for loans to be secured on the proprietor’s home, because that is the only substantial owned asset. This is not relevant to the consideration of the use of the funds borrowed.
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/bim45685
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

I would imagine there must be some written agreement that the company pays the annual interest on the mortgage on your home.

Otherwise you may be treat as the lender and interest paid to you is taxable as your income.

Comment

In my case the security property in question is not my own home. It would probably be more than one, in fact. BTL portfolio mortgage.

Not 100% sure what you mean by 'company' here. I would presume Ltd. I have not got a company and wouldn't particularly intend to use one here. My understanding is that the main reason for landlords to operate as a Ltd. is because of recent tax policy changes - particularly mortgage interest on residential BTL no longer being fully tax deductible. But that doesn't apply to commercial or mixed property.

Comment

Sorry, I misread your situation. Try posting your question on a tax forum ( taxcafe ?)

Comment

Thanks. May do.

Unless anyone comes along with conflicting information, though, I am happy enough that what I thought is correct. That interest is taxed based on the purpose of borrowing is what I have always understood, and those BIMs seem fairly clear on the subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to capital gains bill when due
              by AndrewDod
              Not completely following you artful. There is a PERFECTLY GOOD online form which actually works remarkably well running you through the process. I usually criticise shambolic administration - but in this instance it was fine/good.

Press big green start button on this page
              https...
              26-09-2020, 15:37 PM
            • capital gains bill when due
              by halfax
              sold a property in august 2020, informed hmrc , anyone know when i will get thethe tax demand?...
              12-09-2020, 18:51 PM
            • Reply to capital gains bill when due
              by theartfullodger
              Had a look at a tax forum, this does seem to still be a requirement to report within 30 days but, like so much of Cummings' wonderful administration simply doesn't work & has no IT or paper form operational. Do hope someone can prove me wrong... see
              https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/......
              26-09-2020, 15:20 PM
            • Reply to Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
              by flyingfreehold
              it applies where someone could exercise their right to compulsorily acquire. we have only claimed the extra statutory concession where an extension is granted strictly clause 56 of the act but it may be allowable on a non statutory extension at a nominal ground rent....
              25-09-2020, 20:24 PM
            • Tax to Pay on Lease Extension
              by divadee
              Myself and partner own the freehold to the building we live in, this is in the form of a limited company. We were accidental freeholders as the previous freeholder wanted to sell and no one else living here wanted to buy it so we bought it to have some control over the service charges etc....
              07-08-2020, 09:48 AM
              by Gordon999
              You should look at the last set of company's accounts and check if the money to pay for purchase of the freehold is shown money as "borrowed from Director" . The situation may well be the company has made a loss £9K- £10K .and the funds held by the company can be paid back to Director to...
              25-09-2020, 13:23 PM
            • council tax liability
              by dexterpierson
              I had a tenant who moved out of my property without giving any notice and posted the keys through the estate agent's letterbox.
              I notified the council of this and the date the keys were returned and resumed liability for the council tax while the property is empty.
              The council got back in...
              14-09-2019, 10:11 AM
            • Reply to council tax liability
              by dexterpierson
              That is brilliant.
              Thank you so much
              25-09-2020, 11:21 AM
              by Section20z
              Does that only apply where they "could have" and did, or also if the non statutory option is followed ?...
              25-09-2020, 08:14 AM
              by theta
              My understanding (with the caveat that I'm not an accountant) is that the proceeds are not income but partial disposal, therefore return of capital plus gains. Within a company there's no difference between CGT and income tax, but it does mean that you offset the original acquisition cost....
              25-09-2020, 07:06 AM
            Working...
            X