Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second payment on account

Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19 tax bill. Do I have to submit my return first and then my bill is recalulated?

Many Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

So my first payment on account due on the 31st January 2019 was the deadline for payment for the previous tax year.

I thought once I made the second payment on account it would automatically show as being made and reduce tax without submitting my 2019 return

Comment

Each tax return is a separate thing. Imagine that there is a completely separate accountancy exercise going on by which you pay for this stuff.

You will be best off buying some decent tax software. It will do all of these things for you and carry over the payments for the amounts carried forward, and complete the relevant boxes (electronically for you). You still need to understand the basics of the way the tax works however.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcotton999 View Post
        I thought once I made the second payment on account it would automatically show as being made and reduce tax without submitting my 2019 return
        The whole idea of payments on account is that they guess that you will owe a similar amount of tax the next time around. So effectively they want the tax in advance. Until you submit your 2019 return they have no idea, so there is nothing to reduce against.

If (in theory) your 2019 tax return was identical to the 2018 one, the two payments on account would nearly exactly offset the required 2019 payment, but then you would have to repeat the exercise again.

Comment

It's not that they want the payment in advance, but rather that they want the payment close to when it actually accrues. It still gives you an average of six months credit, if the income accrues to you evenly, as does rent.

Comment

After submitting your tax return for 2017/18, you get a bill to pay the tax for 2017/18 by 31 Jan 2019.
            if the tax bill is more than £1000 , then you will be ask to pay the 1st Half tax bill for 2018/19 by 31 Jan 2019 and 2nd half by 31 Jul 2019. ( Tax office assumes your income for 2018/19 will be same )

To get any adjustment for 2018/2019 , you must submit a 2018/19 tax return before 31 Oct 2019 ( paper ) or 31 Jan 2020 ( online ) and get a statement around Spring 2020.

Comment

Great many thanks all for your help

Comment

Evening all I’m revisiting this old thread regarding payments on account.

I’ve submitted my 2019 return and I’m aware I have to pay what I owe by the 31st Jan 2020. Because I made a payment last year towards my 2019 return when will this show up and reduce what I owe?

Thanks

Adam

Comment

It should already show up, but on your tax account, not your calculations.

Comment

Evening thanks for your reply...the money I paid last year is showing in my account. But the money I owe for the 2019 tax year hasn’t taken the credit in my account into consideration

Thanks

Adam

Comment

You have to do that calculation when working out the balancing payment. https://www.gov.uk/understand-self-a...nts-on-account

Or just overpay and wait for the repayment.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/understand-self-a...ount-last-year seems to confirm that you have to work this out yourself.

Comment

You may get a statement about 6 weeks after your payment due on 31 Jan 2020.

Comment

Can anyone provide clarification please?

Thanks

Adam

Comment

HMRC can provide clarification, although I'm not sure what is not clear.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease extension
                                Cassie12
                                Hi I'm a newbie and would welcome information about any tax relief on a 99 year lease extension I have just paid for....
                                21-10-2019, 16:37 PM
                              • Reply to Lease extension
                                leaseholder64
                                It would be against CGT, not income.
                                21-10-2019, 17:42 PM
                              • SA 700 tax return
                                Cassie12
                                At the end of February 2019 I did a Share for Share exchange agreement on an offshore company which owns a property to bring the company into the UK jurisdiction. Can anyone tell me do I still do a paper SA700 tax return for the 10 months April 2018 to February 2019 while the company was still in the...
                                21-10-2019, 16:23 PM
                              • Rent-a-room and tax deductions
                                doobrey
                                Trying to settle a debate :-

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc.

However, my accountant has stated that I cannot deduct an amount for use of my own property for business purposes, since...
                                17-10-2019, 11:57 AM
                              • Reply to Rent-a-room and tax deductions
                                doobrey
                                Thanks. That is what I thought....
                                17-10-2019, 13:23 PM
                                jpkeates
                                No, I believe you would be able to claim an allowance of £4 a week against the income from that business....
                                17-10-2019, 13:18 PM
                                Gordon999
                                The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £7,500 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else. You can let out as much of your home as you want.

So your web design business...
                                17-10-2019, 13:04 PM
                                doobrey
                                I am not suggesting that Rent-a-Room is a business (...and that is, I guess, part of the point of my question).

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc. However, my understanding/assumption is that this...
                                17-10-2019, 12:48 PM
                              • Maintenance payment flow of funds
                                Kots
                                Hi all,

I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance...
                                15-10-2019, 05:10 AM
                              • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
                                Gordon999
                                For your BTL letting business , you are required to keep proper records of the rental income and expenses for each year and be able to report the figures in your annual income tax return.

The rental income and expenses must be supported by bookkeeping records, suppliers invoices...
                                17-10-2019, 12:46 PM
                              Working...
                              X