HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts

I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for another company with a much higher turnover, it seems silly to be faced with these two option for such a small income. I don't really want to pay someone else to do what I can, and do, do myself. Can anyone advise a solution or offer other options?
    EsmereldaJane5

Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?

Comment

Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
      EsmereldaJane5

Comment

If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires you to declare the total rent received , the total expenses paid and the surplus ( your rental profit or loss ).. So I think buying software is not necessary..

Comment

I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.

Comment

Thank you Gordon999 and JKO, both very interesting. I do the book-keeping and use a spreadsheet with all income and outgoings, plus bank account, so when I hand it over to the person who submits they literally enter the info provided and submit. They offered to submit our CS01 for £40 plus VAT, which took me less than 10 minutes to do . I wouldn't object to paying except they are merely entering the info provided, as I have done in the past for our other company. It's frustrating because I'm familiar with doing the HMRC returns online, using Joint Accounts, which provides the info to Companies House. I just wonder what other small property management companies do? However, Gordon999's comment on the SA200 seems the most pratical, albeit a step backwards in this digital age.
            EsmereldaJane5

Comment

I suggest you ask the tax office to send you a paper version tax return for first year submission ( before 31 st Oct ) .

Next year if you understand the system, change to online tax return .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X