Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?

I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
    There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become necessary from 2020".

So, my question is: Did I imagine this requirement, or if it exists, then what is it (for both a gain and a loss)?

It is/was planned as a change announced by George Osbourne that has not come into effect.

It seems to have died the death (I suspect that HMRC would find the change more difficult and costly to administer than the benefit of receiving CGT sooner - which is - essentially - a one-off win).
    It was, and is, a stupid idea.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I suggest you send a written enquiry to your tax office , asking which tax form to submit for registering a capital loss after sale of BTL property

Comment

I have just called the Capital Gains help line and they advised that (currently) it is only non-UK residents that have the 30-day rule for notification of disposal. UK residents use end of year tax return.

Thank you both for your time and advice.

Comment

The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
          The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically.

Which was why the idea was a non-starter in reality.
          Unless HMRC can produce some clever online system that allows for interim returns, or the frequency of tax returns is increased, it's pie in the sky.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Could we be more tax efficient!
            by bobcat
            Thanks I will start to keep a diary of all my mileage and claim it going forwards...
            15-12-2019, 14:40 PM
          • Could we be more tax efficient!
            by bobcat
            Hi all,

We are currently completing the annual tax return for my wife and just wondering whether we could be more tax efficient! We no longer have any loans on the properties or major replacements planned so our tax payable is more than previous years. I don't mind paying tax but am wondering...
            09-12-2019, 17:40 PM
            by bobcat
            Thanks I will go ahead and claim the £4 a week....
            15-12-2019, 14:39 PM
            by JK0
            It's only if you have an agent running the place, the flat is assumed to be managed from there, so your trips to the agent are deemed to be you 'travelling to work'. (Sounds nonsense to me, but there we are.)

If there is no agent. or you are between lettings, I'd say you can claim mile...
            13-12-2019, 12:10 PM
            by jpkeates
            An employer can pay an employee £4 a week without it being taxable to cover the additional costs if the employee works from home.

So I make the claim on the same basis and have done for years.
            No one's ever queried it.
            It's not consistent with the HMRC advice for small businesses,...
            13-12-2019, 10:55 AM
            by bobcat
            Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and apologise for the delay in responding.

I think of all the possible things mentioned the only things I don't claim for at the moment are mileage, home office and apportioning a phone bill so will look at those in more detail.

In terms...
            13-12-2019, 09:53 AM
          • Responses from HMRC
            by AndrewDod
            Is anyone getting any responses from HMRC these days at all. I sent then two R17 forms with certificates of postage -- one a year ago, another a month ago. No response or acknowledgement at all....
            11-12-2019, 17:51 PM
          • Reply to Responses from HMRC
            by Gordon999
            You can call the tax office hotline , quote your tax reference and ask if your recent letter / form R17 has been entered under your file ?...
            12-12-2019, 22:56 PM
          • CGT Online Tax Return Question
            by Tricky19
            I have a couple of questions relating to my online self-assessment for the CGT calculation on a rental property i have sold.

I originally lived in the property as my primary residence and had some improvement works done which added to the value of the property. I will be deducting these...
            06-12-2019, 14:53 PM
          • Reply to CGT Online Tax Return Question
            by Gordon999
            For calculation of capital gain after sale, the gain (= "sale proceeds" minus "acquisition costs" ) and you want to include the cost of 6 additional buildings and not kept the receipts, you still show the calculation in the tax return but you declare the acquisition cost is based...
            12-12-2019, 22:50 PM
          Working...
          X