Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a maximum you can put against tax

Good evening.

We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling and repainting.

Is there a limit how much a landlord can put against tax in expenses? What should we expect in this situation? Shall we have to account for all works we've done (we can and keep all the receipts)? Can they cap our expenses because they are "too high" and at what level? Thank you.

keep all receipts and keep them for 10 years in the file - claim for what you are suppose to claim for ie all work necessary , the leaking showers and retiling should be fine , so long as you can account for everything .
    if you have some expensive repairs ie double glazing , property empty for 6 months then write this in the space provided under 'comments further information' just so that they know

Comment

If the expenses are the actual costs incurred there is no cap, as long as you are not improving the property (for example there was cheap taps and you decided to put gold plated taps).

You can even put in loss and obtain a refund or credit for the following year as long as it is legitimate.

Comment

Thanks for that. I didn't know that. We had a nightmare tenant who ruined a property. We didn't know that we could put all the repairs, new washing machine, etc. against tax. Too late now. Thank you again.

Comment

What type of SATR ( Tax Return ) did you submit online ?

If you submitted a paper tax return before 31 Oct , it could have been SA200 ( short tax return) or SA105 ( tax return for property income )

For submitting an online tax return, what figure did you enter in the boxes for annual rental income ? and allowable expenses ? and rental surplus ?

If the "total expenses" is greater than the annual rent, the loss figure is put into the Box ( to carry loss to next year ).

Comment

Originally posted by randal_bond View Post
            Thanks for that. I didn't know that. We had a nightmare tenant who ruined a property. We didn't know that we could put all the repairs, new washing machine, etc. against tax. Too late now. Thank you again.
            How long ago and do you still have receipts? You might find the taxman more helpful than you think over genuine mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by randal_bond View Post
              Too late now.
              Probably not.

Phone your tax office (not the general help line; number should be on your tax return), explain the situation (you have expenses not included on return because you were not aware they are deductable) and what you can do about it.

Also ask about correcting previous year' returns if that is applicable.

Tax staff are generally helpful, as they have a duty to collect the tax due AND ONLY the tax due.
              I once got advice from my tax office that saved me about £1000 a year in tax!

I would also recommend reading the HMRC Property Income Manual (PIM) available on HMRC web site to find out what you can (and cannot) claim.

Comment

randal-bond

You can corrct mistakes and ommissions in your tax return going back to 3 years ago.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Stamp duty when changing the beneficial interest share
                  Nick88
                  My wife and I have a joint buy to let property, where the beneficial interest is split 50/50 and where we're both on the mortgage which is £210,000.

As she isn't working at the moment and I'm a higher rate tax payer we want to switch the beneficial interest so she has 99% and I have 1%...
                  22-09-2019, 22:40 PM
                • Reply to Stamp duty when changing the beneficial interest share
                  AndrewDod
                  To add: The jointly and severally liability bit -- is not relevant to anything here. All that has to do with is who mortgage company can sue for repayment of the whole (one or both) when things go wrong.
                  It has to do with the liability for the loan - not ownership (in theory I can be liable to...
                  23-09-2019, 09:38 AM
                  AndrewDod
                  - Stamp duty is not payable on gifts where not mortgaged
                  - Stamp duty is payable on gifts where mortgaged (on the mortgaged part of the transfer)
                  - The fact that transfer takes place via a Deed of Trust (which is the only way it can do) is totally irrelevant to the stamp duty position. The...
                  23-09-2019, 09:18 AM
                  Gordon999
                  Check if your 50/50 ownership at Land Registry is registered under "joint tenants" or "tenants in common" ?

If it is "tenants in common", no change is required ( and no stamp duty to pay ) .

Then you can change ratio to 99/1 by using...
                  23-09-2019, 00:10 AM
                • Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                  Edgarina
                  I am a higher rate tax payer and my wife is not. I have removed myself from the mortgages of the two buy to let properties we have jointly owned and all the proceeds of the properties are now going into an account in my wife's name. Is this enough so I am no longer liable to pay tax on the income from...
                  07-09-2019, 13:40 PM
                • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                  Kape65
                  It looks like I may have this wrong. It appears that the 3% surcharge may no longer be payable for spousal transfers, can anybody verify this?
                  22-09-2019, 10:48 AM
                • Second payment on account
                  dotcotton999
                  Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19...
                  02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
                • Reply to Second payment on account
                  dotcotton999
                  I telephoned HMRC... they said usually the amounts are worked out automatically but there had been issues with some accounts because payments on account hadn’t been generated correctly by them

thanks for all the assistance...
                  17-09-2019, 19:46 PM
                  Gordon999
                  If you make your tax return online, then you can check the "statement " section showing your payments made to tax office against your own bank statements.
                  17-09-2019, 00:01 AM
                  dotcotton999
                  There’s me thinking it’s called self assessment...
                  16-09-2019, 19:28 PM
                Working...
                X