Pay down BTL to £79,999 before transfer of equity to spouse and then capital raising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay down BTL to £79,999 before transfer of equity to spouse and then capital raising

Morning all,

I've got a property coming out of it's fixed rate this week and it's held solely in my name. I would like to transfer half the equity to my wife. I understand if I do this with a mortgage over £80,000 then SDLT would be payable on the 'half' she is 'buying' (although no money will change hands).

Additionally I want to move banks and to capital raise with a new BTL (current value around £150,000 to based on 75% LTV the new loan would be £112,500).

So my question is, can I avoid SDLT by:

- Paying my existing BTL down to £79,999
    - Completing the transfer of equity at the same time as applying for the new mortgage (which would then be in both our names) for £112,500)

In my mind the consideration is half of the £79,999 at the point of the transfer as that is the existing debt and she is taking on half of £112,500 after the transfer and thus no SDLT is payable...

Thoughts/opinions welcome

I can't see anything wrong with that, but have a concern about the timing.
    I take it that the transfer of equity and the subsequent remortgage are some time apart.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think you can gift 50% interest to your wife and if her 50% interest comes with outstanding mortgage below £40,000 , she should escape paying sdlt.

After the property is registered under your joint names, then you + wife can re-mortgage at £112,500 .

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

My plan would be to be wrap it all under a single transaction but I fear this won't work as the 'consideration' might be considered to be the new mortgage amount and thus trigger SDLT.

Other option of course, cashflow allowing is to clear the mortgage completely, do the transfer of equity with nil consideration and then immediately apply for mortgage of £112,500...

Comment

So to pass below threshold for paying sdlt , you need to make the the gift transaction at "below £40K consideration" to get your wife registered as joint owner. And you must allow 4-6 weeks for registration to complete at Land Registry.

After LR registration has completed , the joint owners can proceed to " re-mortgage transaction" which has no sdlt.

So you should expect to pay sdlt if you do both transactions at same time but check this out with a conveyancing solicitor before you act.

Comment

I agree with others that it is wise to leave a gap between reducing the exisiting mortgage and transferring half of the equity and between that and remortgaging.

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            you need to make the the gift transaction at "below £40K consideration" to get your wife registered as joint owner. And you must allow 4-6 weeks for registration to complete at Land Registry.

After LR registration has completed , the joint owners can proceed to " re-mortgage transaction" which has no sdlt..
            For the record, there is no need to wait for the registration to be completed. Section 23(1) LRA 2002 says "Owner’s powers in relation to a registered estate consist of— [...] power to charge the estate at law with the payment of money" and section 24 says "A person is entitled to exercise owner’s powers in relation to a registered estate or charge if he is— [...] entitled to be registered as the proprietor". If A executes a transfer in favour of B, B is entitled to be registered as the proprietor. Everyone who buys with a mortgage executes the mortgage before he is registered.

A transfer of equity can of course be done off the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_Manchester View Post
              My plan would be to be wrap it all under a single transaction but I fear this won't work as the 'consideration' might be considered to be the new mortgage amount and thus trigger SDLT.
              It can't be a single transaction, even a connected transaction is pushing it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the plan, but any link from the new joint mortgage borrowing to the reduction in the previous mortgage lending would increase the consideration and make the non-payment of SDLT an issue.

Your conveyancer should decline to proceed with no SDLT unless they're happy none is possibly due.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you are in the position where you can clear the debt and then transfer half the property to your wife then I would favour that option. It's a much cleaner way of doing it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent-a-room and tax deductions
                  doobrey
                  Trying to settle a debate :-

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc.

However, my accountant has stated that I cannot deduct an amount for use of my own property for business purposes, since...
                  17-10-2019, 11:57 AM
                • Reply to Rent-a-room and tax deductions
                  doobrey
                  Thanks. That is what I thought....
                  17-10-2019, 13:23 PM
                  jpkeates
                  No, I believe you would be able to claim an allowance of £4 a week against the income from that business....
                  17-10-2019, 13:18 PM
                  Gordon999
                  The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £7,500 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else. You can let out as much of your home as you want.

So your web design business...
                  17-10-2019, 13:04 PM
                  doobrey
                  I am not suggesting that Rent-a-Room is a business (...and that is, I guess, part of the point of my question).

I am aware that claiming rent-a-room relief precludes the deduction of expenses for that property such as utilities, GSC, etc. However, my understanding/assumption is that this...
                  17-10-2019, 12:48 PM
                • Maintenance payment flow of funds
                  Kots
                  Hi all,

I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance...
                  15-10-2019, 05:10 AM
                • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
                  Gordon999
                  For your BTL letting business , you are required to keep proper records of the rental income and expenses for each year and be able to report the figures in your annual income tax return.

The rental income and expenses must be supported by bookkeeping records, suppliers invoices...
                  17-10-2019, 12:46 PM
                  jpkeates
                  The point of the Rent a Room scheme is that the landlord isn't running a business, it's a non-commercial arrangement.
                  So you aren't using part of your property for running a business unless you have another business (like a web design business).
                  17-10-2019, 12:40 PM
                  Kots
                  Thanks for your replies.

We are tenants in common and although the initial idea was to pay funds in advance, I am not for this so the plan would be that funds are paid as they are required.

What about HMRC, does anybody know if I'd be unable to offset these payments against...
                  16-10-2019, 14:08 PM
                  leaseholder64
                  I'm not clear as to whether the company is the actual freeholder, or you are tenants in common. In the latter case, setting up a company is an unnecessary expense, which probably cannot be fully funded from the service charges.

Also I'm not clear as to whether any service charges are paid...
                  15-10-2019, 10:09 AM
                Working...
                X