Pay down BTL to £79,999 before transfer of equity to spouse and then capital raising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay down BTL to £79,999 before transfer of equity to spouse and then capital raising

Morning all,

I've got a property coming out of it's fixed rate this week and it's held solely in my name. I would like to transfer half the equity to my wife. I understand if I do this with a mortgage over £80,000 then SDLT would be payable on the 'half' she is 'buying' (although no money will change hands).

Additionally I want to move banks and to capital raise with a new BTL (current value around £150,000 to based on 75% LTV the new loan would be £112,500).

So my question is, can I avoid SDLT by:

- Paying my existing BTL down to £79,999
    - Completing the transfer of equity at the same time as applying for the new mortgage (which would then be in both our names) for £112,500)

In my mind the consideration is half of the £79,999 at the point of the transfer as that is the existing debt and she is taking on half of £112,500 after the transfer and thus no SDLT is payable...

Thoughts/opinions welcome

I can't see anything wrong with that, but have a concern about the timing.
    I take it that the transfer of equity and the subsequent remortgage are some time apart.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think you can gift 50% interest to your wife and if her 50% interest comes with outstanding mortgage below £40,000 , she should escape paying sdlt.

After the property is registered under your joint names, then you + wife can re-mortgage at £112,500 .

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

My plan would be to be wrap it all under a single transaction but I fear this won't work as the 'consideration' might be considered to be the new mortgage amount and thus trigger SDLT.

Other option of course, cashflow allowing is to clear the mortgage completely, do the transfer of equity with nil consideration and then immediately apply for mortgage of £112,500...

Comment

So to pass below threshold for paying sdlt , you need to make the the gift transaction at "below £40K consideration" to get your wife registered as joint owner. And you must allow 4-6 weeks for registration to complete at Land Registry.

After LR registration has completed , the joint owners can proceed to " re-mortgage transaction" which has no sdlt.

So you should expect to pay sdlt if you do both transactions at same time but check this out with a conveyancing solicitor before you act.

Comment

I agree with others that it is wise to leave a gap between reducing the exisiting mortgage and transferring half of the equity and between that and remortgaging.

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            you need to make the the gift transaction at "below £40K consideration" to get your wife registered as joint owner. And you must allow 4-6 weeks for registration to complete at Land Registry.

After LR registration has completed , the joint owners can proceed to " re-mortgage transaction" which has no sdlt..
            For the record, there is no need to wait for the registration to be completed. Section 23(1) LRA 2002 says "Owner’s powers in relation to a registered estate consist of— [...] power to charge the estate at law with the payment of money" and section 24 says "A person is entitled to exercise owner’s powers in relation to a registered estate or charge if he is— [...] entitled to be registered as the proprietor". If A executes a transfer in favour of B, B is entitled to be registered as the proprietor. Everyone who buys with a mortgage executes the mortgage before he is registered.

A transfer of equity can of course be done off the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_Manchester View Post
              My plan would be to be wrap it all under a single transaction but I fear this won't work as the 'consideration' might be considered to be the new mortgage amount and thus trigger SDLT.
              It can't be a single transaction, even a connected transaction is pushing it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the plan, but any link from the new joint mortgage borrowing to the reduction in the previous mortgage lending would increase the consideration and make the non-payment of SDLT an issue.

Your conveyancer should decline to proceed with no SDLT unless they're happy none is possibly due.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you are in the position where you can clear the debt and then transfer half the property to your wife then I would favour that option. It's a much cleaner way of doing it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
                  MOONRIVER
                  Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
                  Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
                  I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
                  02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
                • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
                  tatemono
                  I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
                  17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
                • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
                  crossannie101
                  I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
                  14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
                • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
                  JK0
                  I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
                  16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
                  Gordon999
                  If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
                  16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
                  crossannie101
                  Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
                  15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
                  Gordon999
                  Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
                  14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
                • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
                  MdeB
                  I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
                  There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
                  12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
                • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
                  jpkeates
                  The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
                  The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
                  13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
                • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
                  randal_bond
                  Good evening.

We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
                  08-07-2019, 17:29 PM
                Working...
                X