I have sold and I am buying. How much please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have sold and I am buying. How much please?

Good evening

I sold a flat that was rented and intend buying a house for the same purpose.

Will I pay CGT and stamp duty also?

It seems horendous.

Greetings

If you sold the flat and made a profit , the capital gain will be liable to CGT.

The capital gain is calculated from the "sales proceeds" minus "acquisition cost" minus "any money spent on improvements". ( Mortgage loans are not counted for the determining the capital gain.).

When the buyer decides to buy a house, the buyer should expect to pay normal sdlt rate or higher sdlt rate if there is an existing property in the buyer's name.

Comment

oh dear are you sure you know what you are getting in to OP?

Comment

Thank you Gordon, I will need to do some sums.

Blinko, A very good point. Buying a place to let again seems sensible, despite new adverse landlord rules and law. I am just shocked at the amount the government gets from two transactions.

We must be a hugely wealthy country!

Regards to you both.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
          MOONRIVER
          Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
          Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
          I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
          02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
        • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
          tatemono
          I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
          17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
        • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
          crossannie101
          I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
          14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
        • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
          JK0
          I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
          16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
          Gordon999
          If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
          16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
          crossannie101
          Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
          15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
          Gordon999
          Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
          14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
        • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
          MdeB
          I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
          There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
          12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
        • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
          jpkeates
          The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
          The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
          13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
        • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
          randal_bond
          Good evening.

We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
          08-07-2019, 17:29 PM
        Working...
        X