Tax Deductible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Deductible?

I have a flat that I rent out that I have found out is subject to a doubling ground rent clause. I have the chance to get a deed variation but it's going to cost me double the amount of someone who lives in their property to get the variation (£4k!!) Is this something that is tax deductible?

What is the actual wording on "starting ground rent" and "frequency of increase" and "permitted increase" in your lease ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
      MOONRIVER
      Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
      Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
      I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
      02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
    • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
      tatemono
      I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
      17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
    • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      crossannie101
      I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
      14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
    • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      JK0
      I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
      16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
      Gordon999
      If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
      16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
      crossannie101
      Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
      15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
      Gordon999
      Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
      14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
    • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
      MdeB
      I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
      There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
      12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
    • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
      jpkeates
      The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
      The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
      13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
    • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
      randal_bond
      Good evening.

We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
      08-07-2019, 17:29 PM
    Working...
    X