Buy to Let as Limited company and stamp duty on first purchase question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Buy to Let as Limited company and stamp duty on first purchase question

    I'd be really gratedul if any one could offer some advice as I've tried countless local accountants and cannot seem to find one to give me the exact answers I need.

    I'm at the early stage of setting up a ltd (spv) company to hold my current main residence, which isn't mortgaged and wholly owned valued at around £150k. Once it's tenanted I want to release some equity/mortgage from the property and start purchasing buy to let's.

    I'm a higher rate tax payer and also buying a new property with my partner. I've worked out it would make more sense to use the ltd company for tax efficiency purposes. I.e. no additional/higher stamp duty on the new purchase with my partner that would be our first time buy. And also savings on paying at 40% tax with regards to rental income.

    My question is if my new company were to buy the property off me (which I would sell as a director's loan) would it be subject to any stamp duty,? (Or Land transaction tax, as the property is in Wales). If I do have to pay then it doesn't make much sense to transfer it in terms of additional/higher stamp duty savings associated with me buying the new property with my partner as an 'additonal' rather than 'first buy'

    My other question is whether someone can recommend a good national accountants or solicitors which specialise in this type of area that I can use? As I'd rather pay a fee and use someone to set it up for me than do the accounts myself .

    Apologies for any confusion or misunderstandings I may have as I'm new to this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Kind regards, Darren.

    If you transfer the asset to your Ltd, the company will have to pay stamp duty. You need to work out the cost/benefit in transferring to your ltd company as opposed to keeping it and dealing with it as under your self assessment. Remember as a personal buy to let, if you were to mortgage it you wouldn't be able to able to get any mortgage relief, but through your ltd company it would be an allowable expense (until there is a change in policy).

    Regardless if it remains in your possession or in the companies name, any future property purchases would be treated as an additional property, and attract the additional stamp duty fee.

    Concerning the accountants, majority of accountants would be able to deal with this, as it is like other forms of companies, the accounting is the same, they just need to be clued up with the latest guidelines and accounting regs.


      Thanks for your response Ash. Most helpful.

      I'm in the process of buying my new main residence now so even if I pay the additional stamp and then sell the proposed buy to let house to my ltd company I can claim this back within 36months? Would you possibly know if that would be the case even if I had tenants in it at the time?

      One thing I've been told since is that my private relief to CGT will be applied on the less valued property(the one I'm planning to BTL via ltd co) if i sold it to the ltd company and therefore wouldn't have CGT relief on the higher valued house if I sold that in the future? Does anyone know if this is correct?



        The sdlt is normally paid by the buyer for property in England .

        But for property located in Wales from April 2018 onwards , sdlt is replaced by LTT ( Land Transaction Tax ) paid to Welsh Government Revenue unit.
        The starting level for charging LTT seems to be £180K , and requires using Welsh Registered Solicitors.

        You should check the rules with a solicitor firm and tax accountant firm in your town in Wales.

        It is buyer of the property who has to pay sdlt or LTT ( in Wales ) and 3% extra applies if it is a second property.

        If you dispose the former home to your company , you should arrange for sale completion to company on day 1 and complete purchase of new residence on day 2 to avoid paying the extra 3%.

        I would not rely on 36 months for claiming back 3% LTT because after Brexit , such claim may be ended due loss of large tax payers moving into EU..

        If the former home was your main residence for the entire period of ownership , the capital gains is exempt for CGT.


          Hi Gordon thanks for the information.

          But for property located in Wales from April 2018 onwards , sdlt is replaced by LTT ( Land Transaction Tax ) paid to Welsh Government Revenue unit.
          The starting level for charging LTT seems to be £180K , and requires using Welsh Registered Solicitors.

          So if my company buys my house from me, it's around 150k, then I would pay no ltt? I was told a surcharge of 3% would apply regardless of threshold levels as the entity is a company not individual so different stamp,/ltt rules apply? This answer would be critical in my decision. If you have any knowledge of this i would gratefully appreciate it!

          Cheers. Darren.


            Well found the answer quoting the LTT


            ​​L8021 The higher rates conditions for non-individuals (conditions for companies)

            the buyer, or one of the buyers, is not an individual, and
            the main subject matter of the transaction is a major interest in a dwelling, or major interests in 2 or more dwellings, and
            the chargeable consideration given for that major interest is £40,000 or more (the deemed market value rule may apply - see LTTA/2460 for further details).
            the transaction will be subject to higher rates.

            C Ltd owns no interests in any residential property. It acquires a freehold dwelling costing £60,000. It is liable to the higher rates on that acquisition, as any purchase of a dwelling by a company is charged the higher rates.


              If your company buys the residential property from you , the company ( i.e buyer ) has to pay the LTT if over property is over £180K.

              Its up to you to get a quote from a conveyancing solicitor firm ( in Wales ) which will be acting for the company ( buyer ). You should not rely on answers from this forum which may not be correct in Wales.


                Thanks for you replies much appreciated


                Latest Activity


                • Maintenance payment flow of funds
                  Hi all,

                  I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

                  One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance...
                  15-10-2019, 05:10 AM
                • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
                  Thanks for your replies.

                  We are tenants in common and although the initial idea was to pay funds in advance, I am not for this so the plan would be that funds are paid as they are required.

                  What about HMRC, does anybody know if I'd be unable to offset these payments against...
                  16-10-2019, 14:08 PM
                • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
                  I'm not clear as to whether the company is the actual freeholder, or you are tenants in common. In the latter case, setting up a company is an unnecessary expense, which probably cannot be fully funded from the service charges.

                  Also I'm not clear as to whether any service charges are paid...
                  15-10-2019, 10:09 AM
                • Reply to Maintenance payment flow of funds
                  It is better for the service charge money to be kept in a separate current account because the bank statement records can be made available for inspection by any leaseholder. The unspent service charge money / funds should not be mixed with a business account belonging to one of the leasehol...
                  15-10-2019, 07:05 AM
                • CGT Relief for PP ?
                  This relates to a property that was our family home for a number of years then which we rented out for a number of years and which we then sold. I understand about the CGT reliefs for private residence and rental periods. But when we put it on the market we were advised by the agent to a) repaint the...
                  12-10-2019, 08:38 AM
                • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
                  The work ( painting rendering ) was requested by the estate agent and should be charged as a " sale preparation cost " . This cost should be treated as similar to estate agent's commission and advertising cost , and charged against the sale price ....
                  12-10-2019, 21:01 PM
                • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
                  Disagree with you on this one JP. HMRC give pretty clear examples:

                  Explanation A repair to an asset restores it to what it originally had been and is normally an allowable revenue expense. For example the cost of replacing roof tiles blown off by a storm. The cost of alterations, however,...
                  12-10-2019, 19:12 PM
                • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
                  Just to clarify. It was empty at the end of the previous tenancy because the tenants didn't want to renew for a short period and I didn't want to renew for a year , so as not to compromise the sale. During the empty period I tried to let it short term but that did not happen....
                  12-10-2019, 13:16 PM
                • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
                  A property remains part of a rental business until sold*, even if the last tenancy ends some time previously.
                  Painting to increase the capital value can be a capital expense (or could equally be maintenance).

                  *Or the landlord moves into it, converts it to a holiday let etc etc.
                  12-10-2019, 12:47 PM
                • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
                  Although painting is never a capital expense unless it is something highly unusual. Not everything is a capital expense - especially if it replaces or maintains something that was there. If the repair is something that tends to be reoccurring or could be recurring -- repair of existing appliances,...
                  12-10-2019, 11:30 AM