Selling too many props too soon???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling too many props too soon???

Hubby and I have a couple of BTL properties.

In October 2016 we sold one BTL house and paid CGT
    In January 2019, we sold our residential house and moved into a house we built next door.

However, due to my elderly mother being taken ill, we have decided to now move closer to her, so now need to sell our newly built house in which we have lived for only 7 months (although this will probably be 12 months before it is actually sold).

My tax questions is: Is there a "limit" of how many houses you can sell over a certain period of time, before HMRC start considering you as a property developer and start taxing you as such????

Many thanks for any assistance.

If there is potentially a huge capital gain on current house if sold and you want to have it covered as your PPR , then perhaps you should consider staying for longer period to avoid being taken as a property trader.

Comment

in your case no as there is a reasonable explanation behind them and its inconsistent. so there is no limit as such BUT you might want to consider the annual capital gains allowance , you have one of these each year and it resets each year april 2019 to april 2020

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
        MOONRIVER
        Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
        Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
        I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
        02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
      • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
        tatemono
        I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
        17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
      • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
        crossannie101
        I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
        14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
      • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
        JK0
        I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
        16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
        Gordon999
        If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
        16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
        crossannie101
        Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
        15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
        Gordon999
        Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
        14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
      • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
        MdeB
        I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
        There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
        12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
      • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
        jpkeates
        The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
        The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
        13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
      • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
        randal_bond
        Good evening.

We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
        08-07-2019, 17:29 PM
      Working...
      X