Tax treatment of an early repayment charge due to a sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax treatment of an early repayment charge due to a sale

I'm selling a mortgaged property and there will be an early repayment charge due. Should this be treated as a finance cost (deducted against income tax, albeit subject to the finance cost deduction restrictions) or an incidental cost of sale (deducted against CGT)?

The early repayment charge is a "penalty cost" for breaking the mortgage scheduled payment dates.

But if this penalty cost is incurred to achieve an earlier sale date and appears on your completion statement , you could argue it becomes part of the sale cost ( like legal costs and estate agents costs ) .

Comment

I've done a bit more digging and according to this post it appears deductible only as a finance cost:
      http://property-tax-advice.co.uk/Blo...tax-deductible

grateful for any further views

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Second payment on account
        dotcotton999
        Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19...
        02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
      • Reply to Second payment on account
        leaseholder64
        https://www.gov.uk/understand-self-a...ount-last-year seems to confirm that you have to work this out yourself.
        14-09-2019, 23:51 PM
        leaseholder64
        You have to do that calculation when working out the balancing payment. https://www.gov.uk/understand-self-a...nts-on-account

Or just overpay and wait for the repayment.
        14-09-2019, 22:46 PM
        dotcotton999
        Evening thanks for your reply...the money I paid last year is showing in my account. But the money I owe for the 2019 tax year hasn’t taken the credit in my account into consideration

Thanks

Adam
        14-09-2019, 22:32 PM
        leaseholder64
        It should already show up, but on your tax account, not your calculations.
        14-09-2019, 22:14 PM
        dotcotton999
        Evening all I’m revisiting this old thread regarding payments on account.

I’ve submitted my 2019 return and I’m aware I have to pay what I owe by the 31st Jan 2020. Because I made a payment last year towards my 2019 return when will this show up and reduce what I owe?

14-09-2019, 21:17 PM
      • Tax arrangements with wife
        MikeKnight
        Hi guys this is my first post so would appreciate any help as this is also our (my wife and I) first time venturing into buy to let.

So we have jointly purchased 2 x flats (in the same block) which are currently being built and won’t be complete for over a year yet so we have time to...
        14-09-2019, 10:19 AM
      • Reply to Tax arrangements with wife
        AndrewDod
        Depends where you live and how much of a rip off artist the solicitor is. Avoid very large firms, find a decent small conveyancing solicitor. Drawing up some deeds the first time around -- and doing the business of converting to Tenants in Common if not already -- maybe £300+VAT+disbursements would...
        14-09-2019, 15:20 PM
        MikeKnight
        Also do you know roughly what it would cost to get the solicitor to sort all of this out (excluding the Will element). Also by when would I need to get this sorted? As I said we aren’t due to get the properties till early 2021 I believe
        14-09-2019, 15:14 PM
        MikeKnight
        Ok that has given me a good steer on things so thank you for your help. I guess we need to get our wills sorted so that if she were to pass before me she passes over her 99% share to me...
        14-09-2019, 15:11 PM
      Working...
      X