Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income tax- service charge & major works charge

Hi all,
    Apologies for asking something which is probably very basic. I am not too good with numbers and finding it hard to understand all of the terminology.
    I am looking to rent out my one bedroom property. I know I can offset/reduce the income tax amount by some of my mortgage interest but my question is about the monthly service charge (for day to day running of the building, caretaker, lift running etc) and monthly major works charge (to repoint the whole buildings roof -I have to pay a monthly amount over three years).
    The two charges combined are £318 a month, would they be seen as running costs so are not taxable?

Many thanks
    Anna

They are both service charges and both allowable.

They are are at the luxury end of the scale and I'm surprised there are many one bedroom flats in luxury blocks. I believe the average figure, for London, is more like £150 a month.

Comment

It is expensive, £150 for the ongoing service change which I knew about when I bought the flat and £168 for the major works to fix the roof- which was not a nice surprise.
      Great thank you for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Comment

yep as above, service charge fully deductible as long as you do not pass cost on to tenants. note this should also include buildings insurance

Comment

Fab, I shall do that. Thank you so much for your help

Comment

The current tax year starts from 6th April 2019 and runs through to end on 5th April 2020 and you will be expected to complete a tax return for your BTL rental profit for 2019 - 2020.

The rental profit ( or loss ) = 12 months rental income minus the 12 months allowable expenses ( letting agent fees ,repairs, insurance ground rent and service charge etc ) .

The current year SATR (Self Assessment Tax Return) for reporting BTL rental income for 2018-2019 is SA105 ( 2019 ) and SA105 Notes (2019) which can be downloaded from HMRC website.

Comment

Great, that all makes sense Thank you Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                They are both service charges and both allowable.

They are are at the luxury end of the scale and I'm surprised there are many one bedroom flats in luxury blocks. I believe the average figure, for London, is more like £150 a month.
                I have just paid a £33,000 service charge on a one bedroom flat in London. £150/month might be the case in the periods between the roof needing repairs (etc). I doubt very much it is a long-term average.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
                  MOONRIVER
                  Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
                  Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
                  I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
                  02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
                • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
                  tatemono
                  I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
                  17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
                • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
                  crossannie101
                  I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
                  14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
                • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
                  JK0
                  I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
                  16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
                  Gordon999
                  If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
                  16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
                  crossannie101
                  Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
                  15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
                  Gordon999
                  Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
                  14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
                • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
                  MdeB
                  I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
                  There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
                  12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
                • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
                  jpkeates
                  The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
                  The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
                  13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
                • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
                  randal_bond
                  Good evening.

We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
                  08-07-2019, 17:29 PM
                Working...
                X