Can landlord do end of tenancy clean and claim costs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• almalet
    started a topic Can landlord do end of tenancy clean and claim costs?

Can landlord do end of tenancy clean and claim costs?

I paid £200 for pre-tenancy clean only 6 months ago, ironically at request of new tenant who felt the cleaning of old tenants wasn't up to scratch. I know this is the going rate for end of tenancy clean as I’ve paid a different company much the same price before.

This tenant only lived there 6 months but had left it in a much worse state, so it needed seriously cleaning.

This time I hadn't banked on the company not being available so had to clean it all myself. This took hours and hours, so I want to charge to reflect this. Can I charge for it? I worked for 4 hours which is less than it took for the company to clean it 6 months ago.

Can I actually do this though? I am not sure if I have to suck it up because I am not a professional cleaner by trade, or whether I can do this because it took me half a day to rectify.

I should not have trusted the tenant's promises to get it to the same standard as documented at the start of her tenancy, but she was very convincing and I made a wrong judgement call. It's a tricky one because the tenant I had a few years ago was brilliant and left it immaculate, so had I pre-booked cleaners it would have wasted a lot of money. So I thought I was onto a winner again with this woman.

Anyway, does anyone here know where I stand with taking something out of the deposit to reflect my 4 hours of cleaning?

• jpkeates
    replied
    You are looking for compensation and if £200 is the going rate, that's what you can claim.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    If you have check in and check out reports, I see no problem.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
    MOONRIVER
    Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
    Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
    I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
    02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
  • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
    tatemono
    I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
    17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
  • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    crossannie101
    I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
    14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
  • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    JK0
    I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
    16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
    Gordon999
    If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
    16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
    crossannie101
    Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
    15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
    Gordon999
    Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
    14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
  • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
    MdeB
    I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
    There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
    12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
  • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
    jpkeates
    The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
    The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
    13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
  • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
    randal_bond
    Good evening.

We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
    08-07-2019, 17:29 PM
Working...
X