Can landlord do end of tenancy clean and claim costs?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can landlord do end of tenancy clean and claim costs?

    I paid £200 for pre-tenancy clean only 6 months ago, ironically at request of new tenant who felt the cleaning of old tenants wasn't up to scratch. I know this is the going rate for end of tenancy clean as I’ve paid a different company much the same price before.

    This tenant only lived there 6 months but had left it in a much worse state, so it needed seriously cleaning.

    This time I hadn't banked on the company not being available so had to clean it all myself. This took hours and hours, so I want to charge to reflect this. Can I charge for it? I worked for 4 hours which is less than it took for the company to clean it 6 months ago.

    Can I actually do this though? I am not sure if I have to suck it up because I am not a professional cleaner by trade, or whether I can do this because it took me half a day to rectify.

    I should not have trusted the tenant's promises to get it to the same standard as documented at the start of her tenancy, but she was very convincing and I made a wrong judgement call. It's a tricky one because the tenant I had a few years ago was brilliant and left it immaculate, so had I pre-booked cleaners it would have wasted a lot of money. So I thought I was onto a winner again with this woman.

    Anyway, does anyone here know where I stand with taking something out of the deposit to reflect my 4 hours of cleaning?

    If you have check in and check out reports, I see no problem.


      You are looking for compensation and if £200 is the going rate, that's what you can claim.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Latest Activity


      • Maintenance payment flow of funds
        Hi all,

        I am one of three flats and I own a share of freehold. We've setup a company to deal with the day-to-day matters such as maintenance payments and such.

        One of the freeholders, who is also a director of the company, usually arranges quotes for maintenance works and insurance...
        15-10-2019, 05:10 AM
      • CGT Relief for PP ?
        This relates to a property that was our family home for a number of years then which we rented out for a number of years and which we then sold. I understand about the CGT reliefs for private residence and rental periods. But when we put it on the market we were advised by the agent to a) repaint the...
        12-10-2019, 08:38 AM
      • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
        The work ( painting rendering ) was requested by the estate agent and should be charged as a " sale preparation cost " . This cost should be treated as similar to estate agent's commission and advertising cost , and charged against the sale price ....
        12-10-2019, 21:01 PM
      • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
        Disagree with you on this one JP. HMRC give pretty clear examples:

        Explanation A repair to an asset restores it to what it originally had been and is normally an allowable revenue expense. For example the cost of replacing roof tiles blown off by a storm. The cost of alterations, however,...
        12-10-2019, 19:12 PM
      • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
        Just to clarify. It was empty at the end of the previous tenancy because the tenants didn't want to renew for a short period and I didn't want to renew for a year , so as not to compromise the sale. During the empty period I tried to let it short term but that did not happen....
        12-10-2019, 13:16 PM
      • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
        A property remains part of a rental business until sold*, even if the last tenancy ends some time previously.
        Painting to increase the capital value can be a capital expense (or could equally be maintenance).

        *Or the landlord moves into it, converts it to a holiday let etc etc.
        12-10-2019, 12:47 PM
      • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
        Although painting is never a capital expense unless it is something highly unusual. Not everything is a capital expense - especially if it replaces or maintains something that was there. If the repair is something that tends to be reoccurring or could be recurring -- repair of existing appliances,...
        12-10-2019, 11:30 AM
      • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
        Thanks for the prompt reply - Jimmy...
        12-10-2019, 10:22 AM
      • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
        If the work was done while the property was part of the business (between it being let and sold) they're capital expenses for the business.
        12-10-2019, 09:05 AM
      • Sole owner of property, splitting income with Wife

        can someone please advise on this scenario:

        1. I own the property and my name is on the mortgage and the title
        2. Can I split the income with Mrs 50/50? (married partner).

        I am getting told if i were to die then the property will goto Mrs...
        11-09-2019, 16:18 PM