Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium

    Hi All

    Both myself and my wife each have a number of BTL props in our sole names.

    We also jointly own our marital home.

    We want to move house to something bigger, and have been advised that the 3% SDLT Penalty will sting us on the new purchase even though it is our main residence.

    This didn't sound right so I thought I would seek other opinions?

    Many Thanks.

    You'll need to sell your existing home in order to avoid it. Details can be found online about how it works in circumstances where the sale of your existing home isn't exactly contemporaneous with the purchase of the new one. "Replacement of main residence" or some such is the term used.


      Thanks. Yes we are selling our main residence and buying another. So that's good news, thank you.


        If you buy a new home before you have sold the present home, you should expect to pay the extra 3% sdlt.

        But current rules, you are given 36 months grace period to sell the old home and claim back the extra 3% paid on the new home


        Latest Activity


        • don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
          Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
          Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
          I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
          02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
        • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
          I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
          17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
        • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
          I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
          14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
        • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
          I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
          16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
        • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
          If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

          For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
          16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
        • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
          Hi Gordon,

          The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
          15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
        • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
          Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

          I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
          14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
        • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
          I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
          There is a capital loss on the disposal.

          I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
          12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
        • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
          The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
          The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
          13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
        • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
          Good evening.

          We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
          08-07-2019, 17:29 PM