Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium

Hi All

Both myself and my wife each have a number of BTL props in our sole names.

We also jointly own our marital home.

We want to move house to something bigger, and have been advised that the 3% SDLT Penalty will sting us on the new purchase even though it is our main residence.

This didn't sound right so I thought I would seek other opinions?

Many Thanks.

You'll need to sell your existing home in order to avoid it. Details can be found online about how it works in circumstances where the sale of your existing home isn't exactly contemporaneous with the purchase of the new one. "Replacement of main residence" or some such is the term used.

Comment

Thanks. Yes we are selling our main residence and buying another. So that's good news, thank you.

Comment

If you buy a new home before you have sold the present home, you should expect to pay the extra 3% sdlt.

But current rules, you are given 36 months grace period to sell the old home and claim back the extra 3% paid on the new home

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sdlt on gifted property
          by Bill31
          My father gifted me part of property we live in together, its our main residential property. There was no money exchanged and theres no mortgage.
          I know theres no cgt and sdlt to pay on this gift. But do we still need to file a sdlt rdturn to hmrc?...
          04-06-2020, 12:29 PM
        • Reply to Sdlt on gifted property
          by Bill31
          They said theres no need to file a sdlt return if theres no money exchanged and theres no mortgage on the property
          04-06-2020, 15:30 PM
        • Reply to Interest expense on tax return - how to obtain?
          by leasee123
          jpkeates - just wanted to clarify the above?

thanks...
          04-06-2020, 14:51 PM
        • Interest expense on tax return - how to obtain?
          by leasee123
          I will be filling out a 2019/20 SA tax return (my first time!) and will need to declare the income from my buy to let property. The property is on a residential mortgage as it was my home but since last year I have let it out with my lender's permission. I was and continue to be a basic rate tax payer...
          02-06-2020, 15:01 PM
          by Bill31
          It wasnt done through a solicitor we did the transfer ourselves. Will check with hmrc
          04-06-2020, 14:51 PM
          by BTL investor
          Was it done through a solicitor? They should be able to answer the question.
          Best thing you could do is phone HMRC and ask them.
          04-06-2020, 13:49 PM
          by JamesHopeful
          Thank you for clarifying -- my wording was perhaps a bit unclear. When I said "everyone (whether their marginal tax rate is at basic, higher or additional rate) continues to report mortgage interest in the same way", I meant that there haven't been separate reporting systems introduced depending...
          03-06-2020, 11:13 AM
          by leasee123
          Thanks so much jpkeates for clearing that up. Just so I completely understand - say I left the property instead one day prior to the start of the let - i.e. 31st May, would I report the interest paid on the mortgage on 15th May or does it instead start from 15th June? I am pretty sure it is the former...
          03-06-2020, 11:12 AM
          by jpkeates
          If you're reporting on the cash basis, you record the costs as having been incurred when they happen.
          So no accrual is needed.

The exception to the costs being recorded as incurred is interest between when you moved out and when the first tenancy began.
          As you're working on...
          03-06-2020, 10:58 AM
          by leasee123
          Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I am still confused however as to what interest to report in the tax return. The property was let for the first time last year say 1st June after having lived there myself for a number of years until end of April last year. My mortgage is paid monthly...
          03-06-2020, 10:54 AM
        Working...
        X