legal fees offsett my rental income ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legal fees offsett my rental income ?

Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was infact very small) -

As they were 'professinal fees' was wondering if i may be able to do this ? I also have other fees which were to trace the tenant as they owed a year in rent

All of those fees were incurred by the business and are allowable against income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank-you Jpeaks much appreciated its very good to know that now

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming back costs against tax?
        KernowLad
        Hi All, new person here so please excuse my ignorance.
        We bought an ex council three bedroom property in a nice area of North Cornwall a couple of years ago - bought most of it outright with savings but borrowed some to make up a shortfall - a small bank loan and a family loan. The house needed...
        22-10-2019, 15:07 PM
      • Reply to Claiming back costs against tax?
        KernowLad
        Thanks all - it's certainly not clear cut!

In this property, built in 1946, just had a wood burner which heats water (and an immersion heater) and two radioators plus open several open fires. We've retained the burner (cheap heating; the tenant has access to free wood) but added Economy...
        23-10-2019, 11:02 AM
        jpkeates
        I agree that it's more an art than a science.

The HMRC guidance and manuals talk about adding rooms and creating new bathrooms as capital items, which are quite large scale. A loft extension would probably capital.

There's a specific issue (I've heard about not encountered)...
        23-10-2019, 09:43 AM
        leaseholder64
        I believe the rules on incidental improvements are a bit more subtle. Replacing a non-condensing boiler with a condensing one would not be a capital item, but replacing an adequately sized one with a bigger one, in anticipation of your new loft extension would have a capital element.

Before...
        23-10-2019, 09:27 AM
      • Declaration of trust help??
        qwertyqwerty
        Hi apologies if this has been asked several times over already. I am currently in process of remortgaging my btl( currently me as sole owner on mortgage and deeds) with a different provider, almost complete. I just realised I could get tax savings by having my wife declare the rental income. I am a...
        22-10-2019, 23:55 PM
      • Reply to Declaration of trust help??
        jpkeates
        It's not as simple as it seems, so you might want to discuss it with an accountant, because the cost of making the changes may offset any possible tax savings.

If your wife joins the mortgage, she will have to have some element of ownership of the property (otherwise the mortgage has no...
        23-10-2019, 07:57 AM
        jpkeates
        Some improvements may be capital items, but not improvements that arise simply because something has been repaired or replaced and it's newer and better. A new boiler will probably be better than the one it replaced, but probably isn't a capital expense. A new boiler fitted to a property that never...
        23-10-2019, 07:43 AM
        Flashback1966
        The expenditure such as property improvements before your first letting, cannot be offset against your income tax bill, you will have to wait until your sell your property and off-set against capital gains tax. If some of these repairs had been carried out, after first renting it out, then you could...
        22-10-2019, 21:48 PM
        jpkeates
        Obviously your accountant would be able to advise about the company vs personal situation, but I don't think your rental business would be big enough for VAT to be an issue/opportunity.

You can claim expenses for preparation for letting (and council tax and utilities) and they're treated...
        22-10-2019, 15:29 PM
      • Lease extension
        Cassie12
        Hi I'm a newbie and would welcome information about any tax relief on a 99 year lease extension I have just paid for....
        21-10-2019, 16:37 PM
      Working...
      X