legal fees offsett my rental income ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legal fees offsett my rental income ?

Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was infact very small) -

As they were 'professinal fees' was wondering if i may be able to do this ? I also have other fees which were to trace the tenant as they owed a year in rent

All of those fees were incurred by the business and are allowable against income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank-you Jpeaks much appreciated its very good to know that now

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Declaration of trust with wife to reduce tax liability?
        by jpkeates
        The cause of confusion is that there is both property law and then there are HMRC's processes and rules.

If you want to use a simple deed of trust and notify HMRC using form 17, it doesn't really matter what the legal position about assigning beneficial interest is, HMRC require that the...
        21-01-2021, 11:05 AM
      • Declaration of trust with wife to reduce tax liability?
        by Madmax86
        Hi all

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle

Background

I am sole owner of a BTL property (which is mortgaged).

I plan to assign 99% of the beneficial interest to my wife via a Declaration of Trust to use up her tax liability. I am a...
        18-01-2021, 09:07 AM
      • Tax figures?
        by ben100
        Might be a silly question but I just want to be completely accurate. On the self assessment for my rental income I read something about rounding expenses up & income down. Now let's say my income was £7,020,40 and expenses were £556.83 making the final income £6,463.57. How exactly should I round...
        20-01-2021, 09:59 AM
      • Reply to Tax figures?
        by ben100
        Yes I am aware of that but I did speak to them concerning that & explained the circumstances & was told penalty should be removed when appealed so should be fine....
        21-01-2021, 10:00 AM
      • Reply to Tax figures?
        by Section20z
        Yes online rounds automatically, if you are filing for 19/20 you will get an instant penalty for filing paper form late I think (deadline 31/10/20) your return will also draw attention as one of the 3 people left in the country filing on paper, so best sort it online if you can....
        21-01-2021, 09:53 AM
        by Lawcruncher
        If a person owns a property in his sole name he can assign any proportion of his beneficial interest to whomever and as many people as he likes up to 100%.

If two or more persons own a property as tenants-in-common each can assign any proportion of his beneficial interest to whomever and...
        21-01-2021, 09:45 AM
      • Reply to Tax figures?
        by ben100
        Do you mean when it's done online as I unfortunately am having issues with their system and unable to so have to submit by fill & post....
        21-01-2021, 08:46 AM
      • Reply to Tax figures?
        by tatemono
        You should bear in mind that they tax you on what YOU report. They are not actually going to be bothered about "100%" accuracy, just accuracy... if you can follow that 'logic'. 55p is neither here nor there for anyone. Even if you were to be audited (as likely as the MoD being prosecuted for...
        21-01-2021, 08:18 AM
        by Madmax86
        It is assumed in the first line...

"A deed of assignment, in relation to property, is used to assign an equitable interest in land to another party."

There are no title changes so it can be anyone...
        21-01-2021, 07:58 AM
        by Kape65
        Where does it mention sole name? I'm reading you must be registered tenants in common.
        20-01-2021, 23:14 PM
      Working...
      X