legal fees offsett my rental income ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legal fees offsett my rental income ?

Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was infact very small) -

As they were 'professinal fees' was wondering if i may be able to do this ? I also have other fees which were to trace the tenant as they owed a year in rent

All of those fees were incurred by the business and are allowable against income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank-you Jpeaks much appreciated its very good to know that now

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMRC tax haul...
        by theartfullodger
        The Times today reports (but can't find it on their website) that 58,779 landlords including those living overseas pail a totla of |£163m since start of Let property campaign.

And some 1,500 BTL property owners living outside UK have admittted underpaying tax over past 5 years, 390 in...
        28-11-2020, 16:57 PM
      • Tax treatment of initial purchase of furniture
        by JamesHopeful
        I am aware that the like-for-like replacement of furniture in a rental property is a revenue expense under the Replacement of Domestic Items relief.

However, what about when you initially purchase furniture, either for a new rental property which you bought unfurnished or where you have,...
        26-11-2020, 17:19 PM
      • Reply to Tax treatment of initial purchase of furniture
        by Gordon999
        The first time purchase of furniture is a capital expense for calculating capital gains and cgt .

The second time purchase (to replace aged furniture) is a revenue expense for calculating rental profit and income tax.

If the property is held by a limited company, the furniture...
        27-11-2020, 23:12 PM
        by AndrewDod
        The furniture (unless some sort of special antique) decreases in value with time -- so most definitely not a capital expense.....
        27-11-2020, 12:41 PM
      • Transfer to wife
        by jase222
        Hi,
        I have a property I am hoping to sale next year and looking to save tax on a gain of 150k and was thinking about transferring a portion to the wife but to be honest I don't know to much about it and looking for pointers.
        Cheers...
        23-11-2020, 18:51 PM
      • Reply to Transfer to wife
        by gnvqsos
        Yes but the money saved on CGT must have been used in extra bus and ferry fares.He seems a bit of hand -shandy merchant...
        27-11-2020, 05:32 AM
        by jpkeates
        I think that the initial purchase of furniture gets no tax relief at all.

Although it's irrelevant, for a company a capital gain is income, so if the purchases would be allowable (when sold) against a capital gain for a person, for a company, they'd be costs allowable against income when...
        26-11-2020, 17:28 PM
      • Reply to Transfer to wife
        by jpkeates
        In which case Gordon is spot on in post #4.

Married couples are allowed to arrange their tax affairs to ensure that they pay the right amount of tax - as married couples financial affar=irs usually aren't laid out in a formal way.

And it's a specific tax break that is available...
        26-11-2020, 17:23 PM
      • Default Property Sale - CGT - Non resident Tax Payer
        by ChloeRadshaw
        This thread will try to understand better the rules around property disposal for non UK tax payers.

Background:
        Property bought in 2006 for 240K - Now worth 500K. I am non tax resident in the UK and this has always been a BTL rented out

Problem
        I have 260K CGT
        05-11-2020, 16:46 PM
      • Reply to Default Property Sale - CGT - Non resident Tax Payer
        by Gordon999
        J256,

I found in your example Ramsey v. Hmrc, there was an appeal against the FTT decision which was successful. So Mrs Ramsey was found to be operating a business. I don't think Chloe wants to have her BTL property treated as operating a business in UK.
        26-11-2020, 16:30 PM
      Working...
      X