Higher tax bracket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher tax bracket

I will be a brand new landlord soon and wasn't sure if what I'm doing is correct (best for tax reasons)

I have two properties

1) Bought Feb 2017 (£185,000 24% equity) residential for me to live in
    2) Bought May 2019 (£150,000 25% equity) buy to let

The buy to let has immediately been snapped up at £1100 a month starting 1st July to students for 12 months.
    I'm also getting married in 2 weeks and my fiance bought a property last year

3) Fiance bought Dec 2018 (£175,000 10% equity)

The goal is to change my residential to a buy to let very soon, it will easily be let out for £1,250 a month.

Now I earn £65,000 a year, I'm unsure as to what the best route is for me tax wise. Am I to just pay 40% on everything or is there another option?

Does your fiance earn the same (or more)?

The most tax-efficient outcome is likely to be to manage the properties through a company, but the costs of moving from where you are now to that position are quite high (but one off).

It might be worthwhile talking and working it through with an accountant, because there are lots of things to factor in.
    It wasn't worth it in my case, but I don't have a high starting point for income, so the ongoing benefit was lower (and limited by my age).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

My fiance earns £35,000 so she's not too far from the bracket but we do intend on having children pretty early on.

I've never talked to anyone about transferring it over to a company, any ideas how difficult it is. I've just paid £5,000 on stamp duty for this property and have a feeling I'll have to pay it again to transfer.

Do you have any sites, calculations for working out if it's worthwhile or not. I'm unsure as to what all the fees are.

Comment

Originally posted by someonenew View Post
        My fiance earns £35,000 so she's not too far from the bracket but we do intend on having children pretty early on.
        When you are married, you can organise your tax affairs to suit your new situation - finding a good local accountant might be a sensible first step. Or a family solicitor (because you want your wills to be sympathetic and you might want to change how the property is owned.)
        But SDLT will be an issue as will the mortgages.

I've never talked to anyone about transferring it over to a company, any ideas how difficult it is. I've just paid £5,000 on stamp duty for this property and have a feeling I'll have to pay it again to transfer.
        While there will be SDLT, the company will have to pay it, and it's a business expense, so the actual "cost" would simply be the months of rent required to pay it off. For you, SDLT is a capital expense linked with the purchase of the property and allowable against CGT, for the business its an operating cost, because any capital gain is income for a company.

Which gives you some idea of the complexity of working things out.

Do you have any sites, calculations for working out if it's worthwhile or not. I'm unsure as to what all the fees are.
        This isn't a web site "thing", everything is very specific to an individual set of circumstances.
        It took me and an accountant several hours of discussion and a whole load of spreadsheet work to model it out over the course of a month or so.

There are two basic things to consider - what the best ongoing solution is and how you transition to it (and how much the former saves and the latter costs)?

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I agree with jpkeates, when you are married you can change your tax position to suit. However, SDLT will be payable.

It looks like you could have the potential in future to hit the 60% tax bracket (100K - 123K earnings). If you have any BIK from your employer? as these all add to your 'adjusted net income'. Car, BUPA etc.....

When married, I would look at DOT to split the ownership more in favour of your wife. She can then use up her 50K lower tax allowance. If you then both pay into pension then you should be able to become tax efficient.

Obviously, allowable deductions come off your rental earnings. (make sure you use them all)

Ltd company is another option. Lots of info on the web. SDLT will be payable. There are lots of PROS and CONS with Ltd company arrangements. Also, we don't know what the future will bring, when/if the government decide to target Landlords who have set up Ltd companies ????

A good accountant and solicitor should pay for themselves.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I guess speaking with an accountant is the next step. Have any of you used anyone from Manchester that you would recommend?

Comment

At present , you have one residential property which is your home and no rental income to report.

You have just bought a BTL in May 2019 ( this month) so you will be reporting the rental profit ( 2019-2020 ) some time during April - Oct next year . Submit a tax return your self or by local accountant or by online accountant company .

If the annual rental income is about £12K and after deducting expenses ,you are left rental profit at say £8000. So your tax bill at 40% rate will come to around £3200. If you have been charged annual loan interest at say £4000 , you will probably be allowed to deduct 20% x £4000 = £800 to offset against your tax bill to reduce your tax bill from £3200 to £2400. This will leave you = £8000- £2400 = £5,600.

Before you decide what is the next move, you should consult a tax accountant .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
                MOONRIVER
                Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
                Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
                I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
                02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
              • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
                tatemono
                I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
                17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
              • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
                crossannie101
                I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
                14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
              • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
                JK0
                I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
                16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
                Gordon999
                If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
                16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
                crossannie101
                Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
                15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
                Gordon999
                Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
                14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
              • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
                MdeB
                I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
                There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
                12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
              • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
                jpkeates
                The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
                The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
                13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
              • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
                randal_bond
                Good evening.

We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
                08-07-2019, 17:29 PM
              Working...
              X