Will I pay stamp duty?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Will I pay stamp duty?

    So i was hoping for some good advice.

    Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house together, the problem is i already have a house of my own which i am renting out on a BTL mortgage. So if i buy a house with my girlfriend that will be my second home, but her only home.

    Will i have to pay stamp duty?

    It seems obvious, yes of course you will its your second home.

    but is there a way around it, by either allocating the title to her, so were both on the mortgage our home is always half mine but the way i structure it so i have 1 and she has 1.

    can i give away 1% of the house so she has 51% i have 49% and therefore we have a house each.

    basically is there anything i can do or will the purchase of a house jointly in mine and her name trigger second home stamp duty when she doesn't have a 2nd home only i do.

    There are a minority of lenders who will accept one person being on the Title but with two persons on the mortgage in order support the affordability , otherwise You cannot circumvent the SDLT premium in the second property is in joint names.


    Latest Activity


    • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
      14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
    • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      I suggest you ask the tax office to send you a paper version tax return for first year submission ( before 31 st Oct ) .

      Next year if you understand the system, change to online tax return .
      19-07-2019, 17:48 PM
    • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      Thank you Gordon999 and JKO, both very interesting. I do the book-keeping and use a spreadsheet with all income and outgoings, plus bank account, so when I hand it over to the person who submits they literally enter the info provided and submit. They offered to submit our CS01 for £40 plus VAT, which...
      19-07-2019, 10:47 AM
    • don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
      Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
      Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
      I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
      02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
    • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
      I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
      17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
    • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
      16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
    • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

      For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
      16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
    • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      Hi Gordon,

      The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
      15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
    • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
      Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

      I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
      14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
    • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
      I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
      There is a capital loss on the disposal.

      I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
      12-07-2019, 23:51 PM