Will I pay stamp duty?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bricko7
    started a topic Will I pay stamp duty?

    Will I pay stamp duty?

    So i was hoping for some good advice.

    Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house together, the problem is i already have a house of my own which i am renting out on a BTL mortgage. So if i buy a house with my girlfriend that will be my second home, but her only home.

    Will i have to pay stamp duty?

    It seems obvious, yes of course you will its your second home.

    but is there a way around it, by either allocating the title to her, so were both on the mortgage our home is always half mine but the way i structure it so i have 1 and she has 1.

    can i give away 1% of the house so she has 51% i have 49% and therefore we have a house each.

    basically is there anything i can do or will the purchase of a house jointly in mine and her name trigger second home stamp duty when she doesn't have a 2nd home only i do.

  • loanarranger
    There are a minority of lenders who will accept one person being on the Title but with two persons on the mortgage in order support the affordability , otherwise You cannot circumvent the SDLT premium in the second property is in joint names.

    Leave a comment:

Latest Activity


  • HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
    14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
  • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
    16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
  • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

    For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
    16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
  • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    Hi Gordon,

    The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
    15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
  • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

    I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
    14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
  • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
    I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
    There is a capital loss on the disposal.

    I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
    12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
  • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
    The problem is that HMRC can't currently properly cope with any kind of "interim" tax return (non-UK residents don't have annual tax returns, pretty much by definition).
    The best they can do is adjust a tax code or interim payment if you advise them something has changed dramatically....
    13-07-2019, 10:47 AM
  • Is there a maximum you can put against tax
    Good evening.

    We have done our tax return for last year, and the system highlighted our tax returns as too high. We still pay roughly £1000 in tax after deductions. All work was necessary, replacing two leaking showers in two flats was an expensive job because it also included retiling...
    08-07-2019, 17:29 PM
  • Reply to Is there a maximum you can put against tax
    Probably not.

    Phone your tax office (not the general help line; number should be on your tax return), explain the situation (you have expenses not included on return because you were not aware they are deductable) and what you can do about it.

    Also ask about correcting previous...
    13-07-2019, 09:50 AM
  • Reply to Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
    I have just called the Capital Gains help line and they advised that (currently) it is only non-UK residents that have the 30-day rule for notification of disposal. UK residents use end of year tax return.

    Thank you both for your time and advice.
    13-07-2019, 09:39 AM