Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I pay stamp duty?

So i was hoping for some good advice.

Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house together, the problem is i already have a house of my own which i am renting out on a BTL mortgage. So if i buy a house with my girlfriend that will be my second home, but her only home.

Will i have to pay stamp duty?

It seems obvious, yes of course you will its your second home.

but is there a way around it, by either allocating the title to her, so were both on the mortgage our home is always half mine but the way i structure it so i have 1 and she has 1.

can i give away 1% of the house so she has 51% i have 49% and therefore we have a house each.

basically is there anything i can do or will the purchase of a house jointly in mine and her name trigger second home stamp duty when she doesn't have a 2nd home only i do.

There are a minority of lenders who will accept one person being on the Title but with two persons on the mortgage in order support the affordability , otherwise You cannot circumvent the SDLT premium in the second property is in joint names.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
      by Gordon999
      D999,

The taxman's method of calculating :

Capital gain is the Sale Price ( say £200K ) minus Purchase Price ( say £130K ) = £70K capital gain.

But buying and selling expenses are allowable and include the conveyancing cost : say £1K plus estate agent'...
      12-04-2021, 14:17 PM
    • Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
      by dotcotton999
      Evening all,

I am currently looking to move house and also have a rental property that has around £200k equity in it.

The rental house had consent to let and on a repayment mortgage and has 3 years to go until I can switch deals.

I have spoken to a mortgage broker...
      08-04-2021, 19:52 PM
    • CGT and tax returns
      by Lots on
      Hello all, just need some advice re CGT. I have a house which I refurbished entirely, mostly in this financial year and I could start my tax returns on the 6th of April 2021. I spent nearly £30000. New kitchen and bathroom, re doing the garden, new flooring throughout ,total electrical re wire, re...
      02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
    • Reply to CGT and tax returns
      by Lots on
      Thank you for your kind words JP and the tips re using an accountant. Having been taxed at source all my working life this is very useful information. I will look round for an accountant. A friend of mine who is also a landlord as well as having a day job has one, so maybe a personal recommendation...
      12-04-2021, 10:04 AM
    • Reply to CGT and tax returns
      by jpkeates
      Thank you for your work in the NHS!

I've found that the first sessions were the most valuable in terms of what could be saved, and the value has diminished slightly and the costs of the returns being done has stayed the same/slightly increased, so it feels like it's less worth it.
      12-04-2021, 08:28 AM
    • spreadsheet
      by jase222
      I been looking at spreadsheets to list my expenses and every template I find seems to allocate expenses per house ie 5 houses = 5 separate sheets whereas I just put everything down on one sheet.
      I would like to know if I have been doing it wrong all these years.
      ​​​​​​Any help...
      11-04-2021, 13:53 PM
    • Reply to spreadsheet
      by jpkeates
      I use one page of a spreadsheet for all the income and expenses and have other pages which automatically summarise the data property by property.
      12-04-2021, 08:24 AM
      by jpkeates
      When you sell the property, you can't retain any of the equity, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.
      On disposal, the mortgage will end and have to be repaid.

The value of the rental property when first let is also a limit to the amount of the loan against which interest can...
      12-04-2021, 08:22 AM
      by dotcotton999
      Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.

In regards to switching my mortgage from repayment to and interest only... would I incur...
      11-04-2021, 19:31 PM
    • Reply to spreadsheet
      by Gordon999
      Its good to keep a separate sheet for each property because when you come to sell one house , you may want to show the rental and expenses records for one house to prospective buyers.
      11-04-2021, 19:08 PM
    Working...
    X