Capital gains tax and tax credits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital gains tax and tax credits

update - ive been onto the tax credits for the past hour and they are saying not to inclue unless im re-investing or making money from the capital gains

Comment

It sounds as if you don't understand CGT. It has nothing at all to do with your rental income or loss and cannot be offset by that (or your lack of general income). PPR has to do with when you lived there, not when it was empty. Some actual numbers would be useful. When did you live there (exact dates), when did you buy it, for how much and when did you sell it and for how much. Declaring or not declaring also has nothing to do with whether you feel you owe tax.

Comment

The capital value of any property held by a claimant is ignored but the rental income/profit is taken into account, unless exempt from income tax or excluded from profits under the rent-a-room scheme (section 791 ff of ITTOIA 2005). So no, you do not need to declare it for tax credit purposes. However you may need to declare it for tax purposes if there is a gain.

Comment

I forgot to add that there is no capital limit for tax credit purposes, which is why you do not need to declare the capital for tax credit purposes!

Comment

Thanks jon i think i understand this - just - ive about 2 yrs when the property was occupied my myself and children and purchase price was 34,000 , sold for 70,000 still under a mortgage which we ignore i guess plus had new windows and boiler in and of course solicitors and estage agents fees , its given me about 2,000-3,0000 to pay to tax man

Comment

For any owner occupied property ( and never rented out ) , there is no tax to pay on the capital gain.

Comment

Letting relief is a tax allowance that's currently available for a landlord who has let a property that they used to live in.
                It is the lowest of:
                The PPR or
                £40,000 or
                the whole gain.

So, in your case, it's likely to be the value of the PPR, which can be deducted from the taxable gain in the same way.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Here is my rough calculation of your situation :

Your sales proceeds = £70K - solicitor fees - estate agent sales fee = £68,000 ( approx )

Your acquisition cost = £34K + £6 K ( windows ) + £3K ( central heating ) + conveyancing solicitor = £44,000

So your capital gain = £68K - £44K = £24K.

Your ppr is about 2 years + 18 months after moving out = 3.5 Years. Your exemption for ppr = £24K x 3.5 /17 years = £4.95K .

Your letting relief = ppr = £4.94 K .

So your ppr + lettings relief = £10K ( approx) .

Taxable capital gain = £24K - £10K = £14K.

Your 2018-2019 capital gains allowance = £11,700

Your taxable gain = £14k - £11,700 = £ 2,300.

Your capital gains tax is 18% on £2, 300 = £414.

Comment

Thank-you Gordon that really helpful - much appreciated

Comment

Reinvesting has no bearing at all on the CGT calculation.

You can only claim for a boiler if there was no boiler before AND the one you fitted is still there at the time of sale
                      Laminate -- not really unless there was no floor before at all
                      If the greenhouse was destroyed you cannot claim for it

The amount you paid for it is the relevant value -- not how much it was valued at

Very roughly you will have a 50K gain which will be moderated down by about a third due to your prior residence and related reliefs, so maybe a taxable gain of 23K after exemptions.

Wonderful the way tax was given away to folk via these council tax sales.....

Comment

done an on line calculation and its coming with a taxable gain in this region
                        Your tax rate

These rates are based on your Income Tax bands:

£20,030 taxable gain multiplied by 18% tax rate

so is this what i will have to pay to them ? its just i re mortgaged the house so had to pay off the mortgage so there wasnt a lot

Comment

The capital gains calculation is reported on Tax Return SA108 ( 2019) which you can download with the SA108 - Notes ( 2019) .

Mortgage borrowings and repayments are not included in capital gain calculations.

Here is my calculation for your situation :

Property owned 17 years total period , lived in 2 years and rented for 15 years. Claim residence period = 2 years + 18 months =4 years say

Sale proceeds = £70K

Original buy cost = £20K

Allowed Expenses = conveyancing costs (£1K , buy and sell) + estate agent charges ( £1K) + improvements ( £3k) = £ 5K ( approx )

Capital Gain = £70K - £20K ( buy cost ) - £5K ( expenses ) = £45K (approx)

Less main residence exemption = £45 x 4/17 = £ 11K

Less lettings relief claimable = £11K

Taxable capital gain = £45K - £11K - £11K = £23K .

Capital Gains Allowance = £12K

Taxable Gain = £23K- £12K = £11K charged at 18% = £2K. tax bill .

Comment

Isn't the capitol gain added to income then tax is paid at 18% or 28% depending on that years total income?

Comment

thanks all yes thats right im on 18 percent as im a low earner - dont usually pay at at all really they usually pay me back

im a little confused with lettings relief at 11K , the HMRC website calculator is so confusing how is this calculated - ? any help appreciated

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CGT Relief for PP ?
                                JimmyJ
                                This relates to a property that was our family home for a number of years then which we rented out for a number of years and which we then sold. I understand about the CGT reliefs for private residence and rental periods. But when we put it on the market we were advised by the agent to a) repaint the...
                                12-10-2019, 08:38 AM
                              • Reply to CGT Relief for PP ?
                                Gordon999
                                The work ( painting rendering ) was requested by the estate agent and should be charged as a " sale preparation cost " . This cost should be treated as similar to estate agent's commission and advertising cost , and charged against the sale price ....
                                12-10-2019, 21:01 PM
                                AndrewDod
                                Disagree with you on this one JP. HMRC give pretty clear examples:

Explanation A repair to an asset restores it to what it originally had been and is normally an allowable revenue expense. For example the cost of replacing roof tiles blown off by a storm. The cost of alterations, however,...
                                12-10-2019, 19:12 PM
                                JimmyJ
                                Just to clarify. It was empty at the end of the previous tenancy because the tenants didn't want to renew for a short period and I didn't want to renew for a year , so as not to compromise the sale. During the empty period I tried to let it short term but that did not happen....
                                12-10-2019, 13:16 PM
                                jpkeates
                                A property remains part of a rental business until sold*, even if the last tenancy ends some time previously.
                                Painting to increase the capital value can be a capital expense (or could equally be maintenance).

*Or the landlord moves into it, converts it to a holiday let etc etc.
                                12-10-2019, 12:47 PM
                                AndrewDod
                                Although painting is never a capital expense unless it is something highly unusual. Not everything is a capital expense - especially if it replaces or maintains something that was there. If the repair is something that tends to be reoccurring or could be recurring -- repair of existing appliances,...
                                12-10-2019, 11:30 AM
                                JimmyJ
                                Thanks for the prompt reply - Jimmy...
                                12-10-2019, 10:22 AM
                                jpkeates
                                If the work was done while the property was part of the business (between it being let and sold) they're capital expenses for the business.
                                12-10-2019, 09:05 AM
                              • Sole owner of property, splitting income with Wife
                                tommys
                                Hello,

can someone please advise on this scenario:

1. I own the property and my name is on the mortgage and the title
                                2. Can I split the income with Mrs 50/50? (married partner).

I am getting told if i were to die then the property will goto Mrs...
                                11-09-2019, 16:18 PM
                              • Reply to Sole owner of property, splitting income with Wife
                                jpkeates
                                A basic trust for an owner and non owner varies the beneficial ownership and not the title ownership.

They're available from a couple of on line conveyancers and seem to have been originally designed to formalise the trust element of beneficial ownership - where someone pays a deposit and...
                                10-10-2019, 13:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X