Capital gains tax and tax credits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital gains tax and tax credits

hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income ? as ive just got my tax credit forms to complete - i did however make a loss on my property this year as she didnt pay me rent for months on end - also can i declare the periods that the property was empty for PRR or just the months when i was living there myself ?

many thanks

update - ive been onto the tax credits for the past hour and they are saying not to inclue unless im re-investing or making money from the capital gains

Comment

It sounds as if you don't understand CGT. It has nothing at all to do with your rental income or loss and cannot be offset by that (or your lack of general income). PPR has to do with when you lived there, not when it was empty. Some actual numbers would be useful. When did you live there (exact dates), when did you buy it, for how much and when did you sell it and for how much. Declaring or not declaring also has nothing to do with whether you feel you owe tax.

Comment

The capital value of any property held by a claimant is ignored but the rental income/profit is taken into account, unless exempt from income tax or excluded from profits under the rent-a-room scheme (section 791 ff of ITTOIA 2005). So no, you do not need to declare it for tax credit purposes. However you may need to declare it for tax purposes if there is a gain.

Comment

I forgot to add that there is no capital limit for tax credit purposes, which is why you do not need to declare the capital for tax credit purposes!

Comment

Thanks jon i think i understand this - just - ive about 2 yrs when the property was occupied my myself and children and purchase price was 34,000 , sold for 70,000 still under a mortgage which we ignore i guess plus had new windows and boiler in and of course solicitors and estage agents fees , its given me about 2,000-3,0000 to pay to tax man

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
              jghomer
              Hi All

Both myself and my wife each have a number of BTL props in our sole names.

We also jointly own our marital home.

We want to move house to something bigger, and have been advised that the 3% SDLT Penalty will sting us on the new purchase even though it is...
              22-05-2019, 18:14 PM
            • legal fees offsett my rental income ?
              alice123
              Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was...
              21-05-2019, 20:23 PM
            • Reply to legal fees offsett my rental income ?
              alice123
              Thank-you Jpeaks much appreciated its very good to know that now...
              22-05-2019, 17:10 PM
            • Capital gains tax and tax credits
              alice123
              hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
              17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
            • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
              alice123
              Thanks jon i think i understand this - just - ive about 2 yrs when the property was occupied my myself and children and purchase price was 34,000 , sold for 70,000 still under a mortgage which we ignore i guess plus had new windows and boiler in and of course solicitors and estage agents fees , its...
              22-05-2019, 17:08 PM
              Jon66
              I forgot to add that there is no capital limit for tax credit purposes, which is why you do not need to declare the capital for tax credit purposes!
              22-05-2019, 15:50 PM
              Jon66
              The capital value of any property held by a claimant is ignored but the rental income/profit is taken into account, unless exempt from income tax or excluded from profits under the rent-a-room scheme (section 791 ff of ITTOIA 2005). So no, you do not need to declare it for tax credit purposes. However...
              22-05-2019, 15:48 PM
            • Is this legal?
              js21983
              Hi all, I am completely new to this so wanted to get some informal advice. I currently jointly own a freehold property in London (with my sister that lives in the US) that I inherited from my mother many years ago. I do not live in the house, not does my sister; until now, the entire property was let...
              15-05-2019, 22:04 PM
            • Reply to Is this legal?
              AndrewDod
              If your son (not an owner) is living there with two other people and without a tenancy agreement (and not paying rent himself), it is going to be a stretch to convince anyone that his co-habitants are in fact lodgers. That will cause endless potential grief.

I suggest either making your...
              22-05-2019, 15:11 PM
              AndrewDod
              It sounds as if you don't understand CGT. It has nothing at all to do with your rental income or loss and cannot be offset by that (or your lack of general income). PPR has to do with when you lived there, not when it was empty. Some actual numbers would be useful. When did you live there (exact dates),...
              22-05-2019, 15:05 PM
            Working...
            X