Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT - when value of house is taken from

Hi all,

Hoping you can clarify for me. I bought a house about 8 years ago, and moved out 4 years ago to move in with my wife, and rented my old house out.

My understanding is if i sell the old house, the CGT is paid on the difference between purchase price, and sale price - without taking any account of a "theoretical" price when I moved out.
    Also from all the reading if I've got that right, then that approach isn't going to change with any upcoming tax changes?

I'm aware of letting relief, primary residence relief, and the loss of letting relief next March.

thanks

Phil

The gain (presuming the value has increased) is based on purchase and sale.
    The taxable gain is the period when you weren't living there, but the property isn't revalued at any intervening point.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for responding JP, that confirms what I was thinking :-)

Phil

Comment

The theoretical price when you moved out is irelevant.

If you owned it for 8 years and lived there for 4, then 50pct of the gain is eligible for ppr relief. I.e no CGT.

If you own it 10 years and lived there 4,then 40 pct is eligible for ppr.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_T View Post
          If you owned it for 8 years and lived there for 4, then 50pct of the gain is eligible for ppr relief. I.e no CGT.

If you own it 10 years and lived there 4,then 40 pct is eligible for ppr.
          Indeed. For these purposes the gain eventually made on sale is effectively deemed to have accrued evenly across your period of ownership.

Comment

You’ll also get £40,000 worth of letting relief if sold before April 2020. See your accountant

Comment

Thanks all, yes I'm aware of the tax changes due next april, so have put the house up for sale already Unfortuntely the market seems to be dead as a doornail !

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Moving Back Into Let House
                by Sentaiwarrior
                Hi.

I was wondering if anyone can provide me with advice.

I used to live in my own house. I moved for work a few years ago and let my house (with consent to let).

I'm planning to move back into my house which is currently still let. I've given the tenant three...
                05-06-2020, 20:16 PM
              • Reply to Moving Back Into Let House
                by AndrewDod
                No you can't do that. If the tenant actually broke stuff and you sort it before the tenancy ends, then maybe. At the start of putting a property out to rent you can make tax related expense claims - you can't have a double bite, fixing it for yourself at the other end....
                05-06-2020, 21:55 PM
              • Reply to Moving Back Into Let House
                by ash72
                The wear and tear allowance has been removed so you could expense the actual costs of the items as an expense, on a like for like basis, only if you are then renting it out, if it is returning back to a residential property then you couldn't.
                05-06-2020, 20:30 PM
              • Accountancy Fees
                by mmooney
                Hi Folks,

Looking for some general advice. I own 5 BTL properties individually and have 3 BTL properties as a LTD Company. My tax returns are relatively straight forward and I was thinking to do my own tax returns this year. My account charged me GBP1500 for the return for my Ltd Company,...
                05-06-2020, 07:23 AM
              • Reply to Accountancy Fees
                by Gordon999
                I think its better for Ltd companies to have their annual accounts done by chartered accountant. Very difficult to get any bank loan without showing certified accounts.
                05-06-2020, 18:33 PM
              • Full accounts requested - Treasurer avoiding me!
                by GeeMan16966
                Just joined PMC as Director and CS and on checking the documents handed to me for storage, there is a massive gap from 2010 to now! I have managed to find through other directors the meetings minutes for the past 9 years, however I am struggling to be given the full accounts. When I ask, I am told I...
                05-06-2020, 13:30 PM
              • Reply to Full accounts requested - Treasurer avoiding me!
                by Gordon999
                You should visit the Companies House website and look at the filed information for previous years under your company's records. You may find the name of your accountant in those past records.
                05-06-2020, 16:15 PM
                by Section20z
                Do it yourself. No need for limited company accounts to be prepared by chartered accountant any longer and yours will be simple.
                Joint filing with companies house / hmrc guides you through it
                05-06-2020, 13:37 PM
                by Gordon999
                You can do better by online search for another accounting firm or look for a accounting firm trading in the suburbs of your town .

Alternatively look at this website : https://www.theaccountancy.co.uk/who...ny-accountants
                05-06-2020, 12:39 PM
              • Sdlt on gifted property
                by Bill31
                My father gifted me part of property we live in together, its our main residential property. There was no money exchanged and theres no mortgage.
                I know theres no cgt and sdlt to pay on this gift. But do we still need to file a sdlt rdturn to hmrc?...
                04-06-2020, 12:29 PM
              Working...
              X