Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT on Primary Residence that is being split

We bought our home 20 years ago.
    7 Years ago we developed an outbuilding and have been renting that out.
    We have continued to live in the main house.

We are trying to understand our CGT liability should we wish to formally split the property and sell the main house.

Does the CGT liability occur when we split the property or when we sell the main house?
    What reliefs would be entitled to?
    We intend to move into the outbuilding on sale of the main house, could this affect the calculation/reduce our liability?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

The capital again from sale of your house ( owner occupied for 20 years ) is exempt for capital gains tax.

After sale of your outbuilding , the capital gain is apportioned between letting period and main residence period.

The gain under the letting period is liable for capital gains tax.

Comment

Thanks Gordon.

So if we assume the gain on the outbuilding is 300K over 20 years.
      We can offset the redevelopment costs, offset PPR and offset Lettings relief?
      Redevelopment cost: 50K
      PPR: 250K * (13/20) = -162.5
      Lettings Relief: 250K * (7/20) = -87.K so 40K max.
      Would leave a CGT of 47.5 * 0.28 = 13.3K
      Can we then use both our CGT allowances to cancel out that out and pay nothing?

Comment

If the redevelopment costs were a) not previously claimed against income and b) materially increased the value of the property, they're allowable against the gain.

Is the outbuilding a separate piece of property, or is it part of your residence?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You can live your dream hoping to pay nothing after sale of outbuilding in 13 years.
          But I suspect the £40K lettings relief may be next target for the chopping block .

The allowances given to letting landlords are slowly being withdrawn .
          Already "10% Wear and Tear" has been withdrawn and
          we are in transition phase on mortgage interest; reducing 40% to 20%.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            Is the outbuilding a separate piece of property, or is it part of your residence?
            It's all on the same title at present, but the outbuilding is not attached to the main building.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
              You can live your dream hoping to pay nothing after sale of outbuilding in 13 years.
              Sorry, are you saying we wouldn't be able to claim any relief for the 13 years we didn't rent out the outbuilding and we would have to build this up again after the sale of the main building?

Comment

Originally posted by splitdreams View Post
                It's all on the same title at present, but the outbuilding is not attached to the main building.
                You should take some proper tax advice, as it's not something I've come across before, but which must have happened before)

Why do we think there would be any CGT at all.
                You've been renting part of your residence (which might be more than one building, but it's all one property).
                You've paid to improve it and it's increased in value, but you haven't yet created a new property.

But unless the outbuilding is larger than the main house, separated from it by a road, waterway or fence/wall it should be within the curtillage of the house - and, therefore, is simply a subsidiary part of it.

When you did the conversion, presumably it was done under permitted development for the main house (which should include the outbuilding)?
                If it needed planning permission, that permission would confirm whether what was being constructed was a new property or a change to the current property.

When you actually split the property, I think that would be a tax event (with no CGT because there's no CGT on your primary residence.)
                From that point, the property you aren't living in starts a taxable gain.

Again, don't crack open the champagne without getting this confirmed - there may very well be tax regulations I've never come across relating to this.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Splitting the property at the Land Registry is not a taxable event.

If you sell your main residence, then that is tax free.

To calculate the gain, we need to know what you paid for your house, and what the house and cottage are - separately - worth today. How big a plot is it (the whole thing)?

Comment

Originally posted by splitdreams View Post

Sorry, are you saying we wouldn't be able to claim any relief for the 13 years we didn't rent out the outbuilding and we would have to build this up again after the sale of the main building?
                    For sale of house, its been your main residence for 20 years and the total capital gain will be exempt for cgt.

For sale of outbuilding , if used year 1 to 7 as BTL and year 8 to 20 as own residence .

So if we assume the sale price on the outbuilding is 300K after 20 years.
                    Building cost: -50K
                    PPR: 250K * (13/20) = -162.5
                    Capital Gain during BTL = 250K * (7/20) = 87K
                    Assume 40K lettings relief not available .
                    Capital gain each = 43.5K , assume personal allowance = £12K
                    Expect higher rate tax liability = 31.5 K @ 28% = £8.8K

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deed of trust to Ltd company
                      Vinkris
                      Hello All,

I’m new to this site/forum so apologies in advance if this question has been asked before.
                      i own my current property 100% and it’s on a personal mortgage. Now I want to move from the property due to personal reasons and want to let it out. I want to do BTL via company...
                      20-05-2019, 17:11 PM
                    • Reply to Deed of trust to Ltd company
                      Gordon999
                      If you don't want to break the existing mortgage loan, then you certainly cannot move to a new BTL mortgage....
                      24-05-2019, 12:15 PM
                    • Capital gains tax and tax credits
                      alice123
                      hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
                      17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
                    • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
                      Gordon999
                      For any owner occupied property ( and never rented out ) , there is no tax to pay on the capital gain.
                      24-05-2019, 12:05 PM
                    • Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
                      jghomer
                      Hi All

Both myself and my wife each have a number of BTL props in our sole names.

We also jointly own our marital home.

We want to move house to something bigger, and have been advised that the 3% SDLT Penalty will sting us on the new purchase even though it is...
                      22-05-2019, 18:14 PM
                    • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
                      Gordon999
                      If you buy a new home before you have sold the present home, you should expect to pay the extra 3% sdlt.

But current rules, you are given 36 months grace period to sell the old home and claim back the extra 3% paid on the new home
                      24-05-2019, 11:59 AM
                    • Higher tax bracket
                      someonenew
                      I will be a brand new landlord soon and wasn't sure if what I'm doing is correct (best for tax reasons)

I have two properties

1) Bought Feb 2017 (£185,000 24% equity) residential for me to live in
                      2) Bought May 2019 (£150,000 25% equity) buy to let

The...
                      21-05-2019, 15:10 PM
                    • Reply to Higher tax bracket
                      Gordon999
                      At present , you have one residential property which is your home and no rental income to report.

You have just bought a BTL in May 2019 ( this month) so you will be reporting the rental profit ( 2019-2020 ) some time during April - Oct next year . Submit a tax return your self or...
                      24-05-2019, 11:52 AM
                    • Reply to Higher tax bracket
                      someonenew
                      Thanks for the info guys. I guess speaking with an accountant is the next step. Have any of you used anyone from Manchester that you would recommend?
                      23-05-2019, 11:04 AM
                    • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
                      jghomer
                      Thanks. Yes we are selling our main residence and buying another. So that's good news, thank you.
                      23-05-2019, 10:29 AM
                    Working...
                    X