Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax responsibility and allowable expenses

Hello, wondering if anyone can help.

Firstly, my husband and I are joint owners of our rental property but I heard that we can change things so the tax is based on my income alone. Is this true? If so how can I go about arranging this. I earn alot less than my husband.

Secondly, if we are getting a remortgage on the house we live in to pay off a chunk of the mortgage on the rental property. Would the interest of that loan be an allowable expense?

Thanks

If you are the landlord and your husband isn't, the income would be yours.
    It becomes a little more complex if it's paid into a joint account.

Essentially, tax is paid on beneficial income, so if your husband enjoys the results of the income, it's really his income as well.
    However, that rarely crops up in real life (and an accountant would be able to give the same advice backed by an insurance policy!)

The downside is expenses,
    You can claim the interest on a residential mortgage taken out to fund your BTL property (as long as that's all it's for), but your husbands half won't be allowable against your income.

You can create a simple trust arrangement to properly vary the proportions of ownership, which allows you to allow the interest expenses in the same proportion.
    A solicitor needs to be involved, but it's a very routine task that pretty much any family solicitor would treat as bread and butter (like conveyancing or preparing a will).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Q1. if you are given tax return SA211 2019 to complete , then read the section 6.1 ( property let jointly ) ,

Q2. No, its too late. It only allowable if you had use the money raised from house to buy the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
        Q2. No, its too late. It only allowable if you had use the money raised from house to buy the property.
        I bow to your superior knowledge (as always).

Could you point me at some reason why, because I would have thought that it would be allowable?
        It's essentially the same as a business remortgage.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          I bow to your superior knowledge (as always).

Could you point me at some reason why, because I would have thought that it would be allowable?
          It's essentially the same as a business remortgage.
          jpk,

I think you really are " THE ONE " with superior knowledge on tax matters by being able to respond to a far wider range of questions.

Replying to your question, my thinking ( and I could be wrong ) is :

When you claim mortgage interest on the BTL as an expense against rental income,, it is allowed because the BTL property is part of your rental business ,

Your own home is not part of the rental business and so the mortgage interest paid on the home property is not a justifiable expense.

However if you finance the purchase of BTL by a deposit , which is obtained by mortgaging your home just days before purchase of BTL , then deposit loan is provably linked to the financing of BTL purchase and the interest on deposit loan can be justifiable as an expense.

Comment

It's interesting, then.

It took me a lot of research and persuasion to accept that a residential loan could ever be allowable as solely and exclusively for a BTL purchase.
            I was obviously wrong, because it's quite common, but my reasoning was that the money is extracted from the residential equity and repaid (presumably) from income received as rent. Which means it's not actually (exclusively) part of the business, the money is just that, money and the mortgage interest repayment comes from income received from the business, not from the business itself (it's more like paying something from wages than the business paying it directly).

Because this is an investment business, however, the personal/business divide is so grey that the expense is clearly allowed (even if only on the basis that we know HMRC allows it).

So my issue is why is a remortgage different to an original purchase?

If the landlord can show that the loan was directly linked to the repayment of other BTL borrowing - so a new residential borrowing of £100k was shown to be used to pay down £100k of BTL mortgage, I'd say the interest was allowable.
            The only difference is the timing, which doesn't seem to change anything fundamental?

But I have absolutely nothing to back that up.

Comment

Send an enquiry to your tax office and ask if they agree with you.

Comment

I never ask HMRC for tax advice, I'll ask my accountant next time I see him.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  Because this is an investment business, however, the personal/business divide is so grey that the expense is clearly allowed (even if only on the basis that we know HMRC allows it).

So my issue is why is a remortgage different to an original purchase?
                  Because it is HMRC's view. Their view is that if you take out a loan on your home to buy a BTL, then clearly the purpose of the loan is to buy a BTL. If you take out a loan on your home to pay off a BTL mortgage, then the tax-deductible BTL mortgage no longer exists and the purpose of the loan was to pay off another loan.

Fancy challenging them in the courts?

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
                    Because it is HMRC's view. Their view is that if you take out a loan on your home to buy a BTL, then clearly the purpose of the loan is to buy a BTL. If you take out a loan on your home to pay off a BTL mortgage, then the tax-deductible BTL mortgage no longer exists and the purpose of the loan was to pay off another loan.

Fancy challenging them in the courts?
                    Never challenge anything in a court if I can help it.

If I take out a residential mortgage and purchase a BTL, the interest is a business expense.
                    If I take out a BTL mortgage the interest and costs are an allowable expense.
                    If I remortgage a BTL property, paying off another mortgage, the interest and costs are an allowable expense.

If I mortgage a residential property and pay off a BTL mortgage, that the interest and costs are not allowable sounds inconsistent, and HMRC are usually models of consistency.

Not that it would be easy to get a residential mortgage to pay off a BTL loan, but actually HMRC would be marginally better off, as the interest claimed would typically be lower.

I'm not suggesting that you (or even HMRC are wrong), I just haven't seen that policy expressed.

Comment

I agree there is a level of inconsistency. If you were to mortgage your home, lend your cash to your company and the company were to pay off its BTL mortgage then the interest should be tax deductible.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
                        crossannie101
                        I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
                        14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
                      • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
                        Gordon999
                        I suggest you ask the tax office to send you a paper version tax return for first year submission ( before 31 st Oct ) .

Next year if you understand the system, change to online tax return .
                        19-07-2019, 17:48 PM
                        crossannie101
                        Thank you Gordon999 and JKO, both very interesting. I do the book-keeping and use a spreadsheet with all income and outgoings, plus bank account, so when I hand it over to the person who submits they literally enter the info provided and submit. They offered to submit our CS01 for £40 plus VAT, which...
                        19-07-2019, 10:47 AM
                      • don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
                        MOONRIVER
                        Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
                        Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
                        I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
                        02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
                      • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
                        tatemono
                        I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
                        17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
                        JK0
                        I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
                        16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
                        Gordon999
                        If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
                        16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
                        crossannie101
                        Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
                        15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
                        Gordon999
                        Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
                        14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
                      • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
                        MdeB
                        I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
                        There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
                        12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
                      Working...
                      X