Gifting joint ownership to cohabiting partner, not a civil partner. Tax implications?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifting joint ownership to cohabiting partner, not a civil partner. Tax implications?

My heterosexual partner, therefore not civil partner, wants to gift part ownership of our home to me and we would therefore become joint tenants (as co-owners). The property at the moment is owned by three people (my partner, his sister and her husband). It was a large church and has been converted into two properties so the three of them will transfer ownership of one property into his sister and her husband’s name and the other property into his and my name. I am concerned about the financial implication of gifting co-ownership of a property to me. If this makes sense, can anyone advice please. One title number in three names being transferred into two new title numbers; one married couple will own one and my co-habitee partner and I will own the other. My solicitor said there are no tax implications but I really believe he is wrong.

I suggest Plan B.

Unless I have it wrong, you will soon have the right to become a mixed-sex Civil Partnership.

http://equalcivilpartnerships.org.uk...sent-received/

That is enabling legislation. The Govt now need to implement the Regulations, which seems to be due by the end of the year.

Congratulations !

(I think, and assuming this is England)

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

If there's no mortgage involved, this is simply a gift.
      There are rules about gifts designed to prevent tax avoidance, but a genuine one-off but generous gift is perfectly fine and would be tax-free.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you both. Yes, I am following the Civil Partnership changes. Also, thank you for reassurance. For some reason, doing this does not sit well with me but I can’t find any reason so will just accept I’m worrying for no reason. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Phyllis View Post
          Thank you both. Yes, I am following the Civil Partnership changes. Also, thank you for reassurance. For some reason, doing this does not sit well with me but I can’t find any reason so will just accept I’m worrying for no reason. Thanks again.
          It's probably just because it's unusual.
          There aren't many occasions in life where someone is simply given something so valuable, and it feels as if there should be some compensatory downside.

HMRC have a help line if you want a second opinion, but I think your solicitor sounds correct to me.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you again. And for the lead on the helpline!

Comment

The 2 types of tax to clarify before making a transfer of property are sdlt ( paid by recipients at registration of title ) and liability to capital gains tax ( paid by the donators ).

For a transfer of property by gift and no mortgage , there is no sdlt to pay.

For a gift to a third party , there is liability for cgt

For a transfer between spouses or between civil partners , there should be no cgt to pay.

So you should check with HMRC regarding recognition of legislation for mixed sex civil partners as mentioned in Post 2.

And ask HMRC hotline if a transfer between mixed sex civil partners is treated same as between married spouses. ie. no cgt

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                The 2 types of tax to clarify before making a transfer of property are sdlt ( paid by recipients at registration of title ) and liability to capital gains tax ( paid by the donators ).

For a transfer of property by gift and no mortgage , there is no sdlt to pay.

For a gift to a third party , there is liability for cgt

For a transfer between spouses or between civil partners , there should be no cgt to pay.

So you should check with HMRC regarding recognition of legislation for mixed sex civil partners as mentioned in Post 2.

And ask HMRC hotline if a transfer between mixed sex civil partners is treated same as between married spouses. ie. no cgt
                Although giving a property away is a disposal for CGT purposes I assume in this case the property has been the donors' main residence for the time they have owned it so in this case CGT won't apply.

Comment

If it is the main residence of the 3 donors before the whole property is converted into 2 flats , I would expect the council tax bill or electric bill to show 3 donor names ??

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Stamp duty when changing the beneficial interest share
                    Nick88
                    My wife and I have a joint buy to let property, where the beneficial interest is split 50/50 and where we're both on the mortgage which is £210,000.

As she isn't working at the moment and I'm a higher rate tax payer we want to switch the beneficial interest so she has 99% and I have 1%...
                    22-09-2019, 22:40 PM
                  • Reply to Stamp duty when changing the beneficial interest share
                    AndrewDod
                    To add: The jointly and severally liability bit -- is not relevant to anything here. All that has to do with is who mortgage company can sue for repayment of the whole (one or both) when things go wrong.
                    It has to do with the liability for the loan - not ownership (in theory I can be liable to...
                    23-09-2019, 09:38 AM
                    AndrewDod
                    - Stamp duty is not payable on gifts where not mortgaged
                    - Stamp duty is payable on gifts where mortgaged (on the mortgaged part of the transfer)
                    - The fact that transfer takes place via a Deed of Trust (which is the only way it can do) is totally irrelevant to the stamp duty position. The...
                    23-09-2019, 09:18 AM
                    Gordon999
                    Check if your 50/50 ownership at Land Registry is registered under "joint tenants" or "tenants in common" ?

If it is "tenants in common", no change is required ( and no stamp duty to pay ) .

Then you can change ratio to 99/1 by using...
                    23-09-2019, 00:10 AM
                  • Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                    Edgarina
                    I am a higher rate tax payer and my wife is not. I have removed myself from the mortgages of the two buy to let properties we have jointly owned and all the proceeds of the properties are now going into an account in my wife's name. Is this enough so I am no longer liable to pay tax on the income from...
                    07-09-2019, 13:40 PM
                  • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                    Kape65
                    It looks like I may have this wrong. It appears that the 3% surcharge may no longer be payable for spousal transfers, can anybody verify this?
                    22-09-2019, 10:48 AM
                  • Second payment on account
                    dotcotton999
                    Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19...
                    02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
                  • Reply to Second payment on account
                    dotcotton999
                    I telephoned HMRC... they said usually the amounts are worked out automatically but there had been issues with some accounts because payments on account hadn’t been generated correctly by them

thanks for all the assistance...
                    17-09-2019, 19:46 PM
                    Gordon999
                    If you make your tax return online, then you can check the "statement " section showing your payments made to tax office against your own bank statements.
                    17-09-2019, 00:01 AM
                    dotcotton999
                    There’s me thinking it’s called self assessment...
                    16-09-2019, 19:28 PM
                  Working...
                  X