Gifting joint ownership to cohabiting partner, not a civil partner. Tax implications?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifting joint ownership to cohabiting partner, not a civil partner. Tax implications?

My heterosexual partner, therefore not civil partner, wants to gift part ownership of our home to me and we would therefore become joint tenants (as co-owners). The property at the moment is owned by three people (my partner, his sister and her husband). It was a large church and has been converted into two properties so the three of them will transfer ownership of one property into his sister and her husband’s name and the other property into his and my name. I am concerned about the financial implication of gifting co-ownership of a property to me. If this makes sense, can anyone advice please. One title number in three names being transferred into two new title numbers; one married couple will own one and my co-habitee partner and I will own the other. My solicitor said there are no tax implications but I really believe he is wrong.

I suggest Plan B.

Unless I have it wrong, you will soon have the right to become a mixed-sex Civil Partnership.

http://equalcivilpartnerships.org.uk...sent-received/

That is enabling legislation. The Govt now need to implement the Regulations, which seems to be due by the end of the year.

Congratulations !

(I think, and assuming this is England)

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

If there's no mortgage involved, this is simply a gift.
      There are rules about gifts designed to prevent tax avoidance, but a genuine one-off but generous gift is perfectly fine and would be tax-free.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you both. Yes, I am following the Civil Partnership changes. Also, thank you for reassurance. For some reason, doing this does not sit well with me but I can’t find any reason so will just accept I’m worrying for no reason. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Phyllis View Post
          Thank you both. Yes, I am following the Civil Partnership changes. Also, thank you for reassurance. For some reason, doing this does not sit well with me but I can’t find any reason so will just accept I’m worrying for no reason. Thanks again.
          It's probably just because it's unusual.
          There aren't many occasions in life where someone is simply given something so valuable, and it feels as if there should be some compensatory downside.

HMRC have a help line if you want a second opinion, but I think your solicitor sounds correct to me.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you again. And for the lead on the helpline!

Comment

The 2 types of tax to clarify before making a transfer of property are sdlt ( paid by recipients at registration of title ) and liability to capital gains tax ( paid by the donators ).

For a transfer of property by gift and no mortgage , there is no sdlt to pay.

For a gift to a third party , there is liability for cgt

For a transfer between spouses or between civil partners , there should be no cgt to pay.

So you should check with HMRC regarding recognition of legislation for mixed sex civil partners as mentioned in Post 2.

And ask HMRC hotline if a transfer between mixed sex civil partners is treated same as between married spouses. ie. no cgt

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                The 2 types of tax to clarify before making a transfer of property are sdlt ( paid by recipients at registration of title ) and liability to capital gains tax ( paid by the donators ).

For a transfer of property by gift and no mortgage , there is no sdlt to pay.

For a gift to a third party , there is liability for cgt

For a transfer between spouses or between civil partners , there should be no cgt to pay.

So you should check with HMRC regarding recognition of legislation for mixed sex civil partners as mentioned in Post 2.

And ask HMRC hotline if a transfer between mixed sex civil partners is treated same as between married spouses. ie. no cgt
                Although giving a property away is a disposal for CGT purposes I assume in this case the property has been the donors' main residence for the time they have owned it so in this case CGT won't apply.

Comment

If it is the main residence of the 3 donors before the whole property is converted into 2 flats , I would expect the council tax bill or electric bill to show 3 donor names ??

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deed of trust to Ltd company
                    Vinkris
                    Hello All,

I’m new to this site/forum so apologies in advance if this question has been asked before.
                    i own my current property 100% and it’s on a personal mortgage. Now I want to move from the property due to personal reasons and want to let it out. I want to do BTL via company...
                    20-05-2019, 17:11 PM
                  • Reply to Deed of trust to Ltd company
                    Jon66
                    You need to post the terms and conditions of your mortgage for anyone to be able to answer but it is likely you will be breaching the terms and conditions if you don't inform them....
                    20-05-2019, 18:21 PM
                  • Will I pay stamp duty?
                    Bricko7
                    So i was hoping for some good advice.

Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house together, the problem is i already have a house of my own which i am renting out on a BTL mortgage. So if i buy a house with my girlfriend that will be my second home, but her only home.

18-05-2019, 16:02 PM
                  • Reply to Will I pay stamp duty?
                    loanarranger
                    There are a minority of lenders who will accept one person being on the Title but with two persons on the mortgage in order support the affordability , otherwise You cannot circumvent the SDLT premium in the second property is in joint names.
                    18-05-2019, 21:34 PM
                  • Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
                    LondonLiz
                    Hi there

i am one of four directors of a company that owns the freehold of the four flats in our house.

one of the owners is selling and wants to extend the lease as its dropped to 67 years. I realise now we should have done 999 leases as soon as we bought the freehold but...
                    14-05-2019, 10:12 AM
                  • Reply to Tax implications of extending a lease at no cost
                    LondonLiz
                    Thanks - it would be our preference to renew them all at the same but unfortunately the seller is pushing us as their buyer is threatening to pull out.

We now have differing advice over whether we will be liable to pay tax on the assumed financial benefit of the extended lease at no cost....
                    17-05-2019, 16:27 PM
                  • Capital gains tax and tax credits
                    alice123
                    hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
                    17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
                  • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
                    alice123
                    update - ive been onto the tax credits for the past hour and they are saying not to inclue unless im re-investing or making money from the capital gains
                    17-05-2019, 16:16 PM
                  • Is this legal?
                    js21983
                    Hi all, I am completely new to this so wanted to get some informal advice. I currently jointly own a freehold property in London (with my sister that lives in the US) that I inherited from my mother many years ago. I do not live in the house, not does my sister; until now, the entire property was let...
                    15-05-2019, 22:04 PM
                  • Reply to Is this legal?
                    buzzard1994
                    It's permitted, but is obviously designed to evade tax. You need to declare the income you receive from your son - and pay tax on it. What is he going to pay over to you - the full rent or more than he has actually received? For £1500 this is a lot of complications and your son becomes a landlord with...
                    17-05-2019, 09:56 AM
                  Working...
                  X