Limited Liability Partnership Rental Business -> Transfer rental income to spouse.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited Liability Partnership Rental Business -> Transfer rental income to spouse.

Evening All,

I own a couple of BTL properties in my sole name, and my Wife has no income.

As i am a higher rate tax payer, It has been suggested to me that it is possible to transfer, via declaration of Trust, a small proportion of the value of my mortgaged properties (below SDLT threshold) to spouse via declaration of trust. We could then form a LLP Property Rental Business. No changes at Land registry or with Mortgage. We could then choose to allocate the profits disproportionately. (Say 90/10 in favour of spouse).

Obviously accounts would need filing etc., and there is a bit of set up involved.

Has any one set up an LLP similar to this before? Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks

If there are no changes to the title at the land registry, SDLT should be academic.

If what you're describing is the set up of a trust that manages the properties (and can therefore allocate the income as it sees fit), there doesn't seem any point in setting up the LLP, which would have a similar effect.
    Unless the long term goal is to migrate the LLP into a limited company - which has been proposed as a route allowing incorporation without paying CGT.

This seems considerably more complicated than transferring some ownership of the property to your wife and making a simple declaration of trust to split the ownership differently.
    There's no separate annual tax return for the trust, for example.

Your mortgage lender may have an issue with the property being used as security for their loan to you being partially owned by someone else.
    Or actually owned by an LLP, even if the title remains in your name.
    So you'd need to check their terms and conditions.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You will in any case trigger an immediate Capital Gains Tax event if you go the company route.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
        You will in any case trigger an immediate Capital Gains Tax event if you go the company route.
        There are a number of companies who believe that if you can get your properties into a partnership, and can show that the partnership is an actual operating business, CGT can be subject to "incorporation relief".

The basis for this is Ramsay v HMRC (2013), but I have some doubts about whether it would apply more generally.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

This seems considerably more complicated than transferring some ownership of the property to your wife and making a simple declaration of trust to split the ownership differently.
          There's no separate annual tax return for the trust, for example.

As i understand it, if i do a declaration of trust to transfer a small percentage of ownership, then she can only receive a small percentage of the income.

Are you suggesting something different? Actually transferring some ownership via land registry / mortgage (SDLT?) then declaration of trust to split income differently?

Thanks

Comment

If you are legally married , you can gift a part of your property to your spouse without liability for capital gains tax.

But there is liability for paying sdlt because the Tax Office requires sdlt charged on the consideration which is the outstanding mortgage loan.

So if you gift a small interest in the property including a mortgage loan below £40K ,then your wife is below the starting level for paying 3% sdlt.

However before you can gift any part of the property, the mortgage lender has to agree and give consent for change from sole name ( 100%) into joint names ( say 90% husband and 10% wife ) .

After the property is registered in joint names at Land Registry , you can make a Declaration of Trust to change the rental income to 90% wife and husband 10% .

So before you decide to act, check your proposals with a tax accountant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• transfer title or deed of trust regarding CGT reduction
              neilm
              Hi All
              I am selling a BTL which is currently in my name only. In order to reduce the CGT would I need to transfer the title to include my wife or would a deed of trust suffice?
              08-02-2019, 09:32 AM
            • Reply to transfer title or deed of trust regarding CGT reduction
              AndrewDod
              There is no such law or rule in general (for example with a DoT giving beneficial ownership to my child).

Indeed such a rule would make no sense since one can have only four trustees, but many more owners than that. The ruling relates to ownership (which the DoT is). What is the case is...
              20-03-2019, 12:54 PM
            • Repairs to property and tax
              themanlike
              Hi there,

I am new, but have been referred here as a good place to get advice on everything Landlord related.

Does anyone have any advice on the below, please?

I and two others own a leasehold flat each in a converted building (big house)
              We are also directors...
              20-03-2019, 11:31 AM
            • Reply to Repairs to property and tax
              leaseholder64
              I think you have rather more problems than just tax!

You cannot charge a nominal service charge. The service charge needs to be based on realistic estimates of the cost of doing those things that the the lease requires the freeholder to do, and under and overestimates should be corrected...
              20-03-2019, 12:05 PM
              Little Rabbit
              Gordon999. Sorry, I am on my phone and struggling to copy and paste from your post above. But where is your source please to say that HMRC want to see both spouses' names on the title before they will accept a DoT which varies the distribution of rental income? I can't see anything which says this...
              20-03-2019, 09:22 AM
              Gordon999
              A Deed of Trust may be sufficient for you and your solicitor.

But it seems a single name in the property title + DOT is not enough to satisfy HMRC under " their rules ".

HMRC want to see both spouses names registered on the property title before they accept...
              19-03-2019, 13:08 PM
            • How do I reclaim tax withheld by my company via a CT61?
              JamesHopeful
              Here's the situation:
              • I am borrowing money in my own name, and re-lending it to my company.
              • My company pays me exactly the same interest rate as I personally pay to the bank, so I do not make any "profit" on the re-lending and therefore I should not incur any personal tax liability due
              17-12-2017, 11:14 AM
            • Reply to How do I reclaim tax withheld by my company via a CT61?
              richie3000
              Hi James,

Thanks for starting this post as I had/have exactly the same query. I plan to follow your approach as it makes sense but I have one query before doing so: on your personal tax return in box 19 (or anywhere else on the form for that matter) do you state which company withheld...
              19-03-2019, 04:35 AM
            • Moving properties into Ltd Co
              Cameron9988
              I own a semi commercial property from which I run a business and rent to flat above. The outstanding mortgage is £70k.
              I wanted to pay off the £70k and then transfer the property into a limited company but I don't understand if I can transfer the property no outstanding mortgage balance....
              18-03-2019, 18:22 PM
            • Reply to Moving properties into Ltd Co
              Gordon999
              The property is registered under your name ( or with wife in joint name ) at Land Registry and your Mortgage Lender has registered a charge on the property title which means you cannot sell without paying off the loan.

When you pay £70K to the reduce the loan account to zero , you...
              19-03-2019, 01:53 AM
            Working...
            X