Exiting BTL tax questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exiting BTL tax questions

I have been doing BTL for a while, just 2 units, so not worth continuing with the Tax and legislative risks. I lived in one too, so best to get out before the CGT relief for that disappears too.

Both units are recently vacated, but sales will go thru next year, one for various reasons has negligible gain so both in one year is not a problem.

2018-2019

I will have to pay managing agents and solicitor fees related to the sale, this I understand comes of CGT. However I am paying council tax, mortgage, utilities and service charges, are they still allowable expenses for income tax?

2019-2020

I assume any non-sale related expenses will be unavailable to me to reduce my income tax?

I expect for your 2018-2019 tax return ,

- you will be reporting the "rental income" deduct the allowable expenses to arrive at a rental profit and any loss can be carried forward to the next BTL .

I expect for your 2019-2020 tax return,

- you will be reporting Nil rental income and carry forward any loss from last year.

and you will be reporting the capital gain for which legal and estate agent fees are allowable expenses. Also there is a capital gain personal allowance of £11,xxx which is not taxed.

Comment

Thanks Gordon,

I was really checking that there are no mirror regulations at the end of letting as those that exclude expenses before the first let. I could understand it, think how messy it would be if you gave up trying to sell and moved into it...

I suppose I can fill in a tax return each year to pass the losses forward in case BTL ever falls back into favor.

Comment

There's nothing that excludes expenses before the first let.
        They're brought into the business on the date of the first let (unless they're nothing to do with the business - usually because the landlord is resident).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates Not excluded so much as allocated differently. Prior to the first let some things that would be 'revenue' during lettings are classed as 'capital', it is complicated https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk...ses-minefield/

But does a similar set of rules apply when disposing?

Comment

I'm not sure I would agree with all of the points made in that article.
            In fact, the summary at the bottom (which I do broadly agree with) seems to conflict with a lot of the points in the article itself.

For example, installing a carbon monoxide detector where there wasn't one before isn't an allowable expense against income, but not because it's a capital item, it's because it's a furnishing bought for the first time.
            Unless the author has some amazing system in mind way beyond what I regard as a carbon monoxide detector.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It is nearly 20 years since I started, so cannot cite where I got the original info from.

Answer must be in here:
              https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...manual/pim2510

Comment

Its a rabbit hole, but this looks promising
                ITA07/S125 and CTA09/S196-197

Post-cessation expenses

In arriving at the tax due on post-cessation receipts the customer can deduct any allowable business losses that were left unrelieved when the business ceased and also other expenses that would have been allowable had the business continued. Thus, for example, if the customer recovers a bad debt after cessation, they can deduct the costs incurred in collecting that debt. Another example might be the cost of background heating for empty premises to keep down condensation and so maintain the value of the property for later sale. Post-cessation expenses but no post-cessation receipts

Where the customer doesn’t have any post-cessation receipts they may still be able to claim relief sideways for post-cessation bad debts and certain specific defined post-cessation expenses. The sideways deduction is against other taxable income and capital gains of the year in which the debts proved to be bad or the payments were made.

Comment

Your business ends when you sell the last property.
                  You have up to six years to claim operational expenses associated with the business, but if you are accounting on a cash basis, there should be none, and, if accounting on an accrual basis any outstanding amounts should be provided for.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• transfer title or deed of trust regarding CGT reduction
                    neilm
                    Hi All
                    I am selling a BTL which is currently in my name only. In order to reduce the CGT would I need to transfer the title to include my wife or would a deed of trust suffice?
                    08-02-2019, 09:32 AM
                  • Reply to transfer title or deed of trust regarding CGT reduction
                    AndrewDod
                    There is no such law or rule in general (for example with a DoT giving beneficial ownership to my child).

Indeed such a rule would make no sense since one can have only four trustees, but many more owners than that. The ruling relates to ownership (which the DoT is). What is the case is...
                    20-03-2019, 12:54 PM
                  • Repairs to property and tax
                    themanlike
                    Hi there,

I am new, but have been referred here as a good place to get advice on everything Landlord related.

Does anyone have any advice on the below, please?

I and two others own a leasehold flat each in a converted building (big house)
                    We are also directors...
                    20-03-2019, 11:31 AM
                  • Reply to Repairs to property and tax
                    leaseholder64
                    I think you have rather more problems than just tax!

You cannot charge a nominal service charge. The service charge needs to be based on realistic estimates of the cost of doing those things that the the lease requires the freeholder to do, and under and overestimates should be corrected...
                    20-03-2019, 12:05 PM
                    Little Rabbit
                    Gordon999. Sorry, I am on my phone and struggling to copy and paste from your post above. But where is your source please to say that HMRC want to see both spouses' names on the title before they will accept a DoT which varies the distribution of rental income? I can't see anything which says this...
                    20-03-2019, 09:22 AM
                    Gordon999
                    A Deed of Trust may be sufficient for you and your solicitor.

But it seems a single name in the property title + DOT is not enough to satisfy HMRC under " their rules ".

HMRC want to see both spouses names registered on the property title before they accept...
                    19-03-2019, 13:08 PM
                  • How do I reclaim tax withheld by my company via a CT61?
                    JamesHopeful
                    Here's the situation:
                    • I am borrowing money in my own name, and re-lending it to my company.
                    • My company pays me exactly the same interest rate as I personally pay to the bank, so I do not make any "profit" on the re-lending and therefore I should not incur any personal tax liability due
                    17-12-2017, 11:14 AM
                  • Reply to How do I reclaim tax withheld by my company via a CT61?
                    richie3000
                    Hi James,

Thanks for starting this post as I had/have exactly the same query. I plan to follow your approach as it makes sense but I have one query before doing so: on your personal tax return in box 19 (or anywhere else on the form for that matter) do you state which company withheld...
                    19-03-2019, 04:35 AM
                  • Moving properties into Ltd Co
                    Cameron9988
                    I own a semi commercial property from which I run a business and rent to flat above. The outstanding mortgage is £70k.
                    I wanted to pay off the £70k and then transfer the property into a limited company but I don't understand if I can transfer the property no outstanding mortgage balance....
                    18-03-2019, 18:22 PM
                  • Reply to Moving properties into Ltd Co
                    Gordon999
                    The property is registered under your name ( or with wife in joint name ) at Land Registry and your Mortgage Lender has registered a charge on the property title which means you cannot sell without paying off the loan.

When you pay £70K to the reduce the loan account to zero , you...
                    19-03-2019, 01:53 AM
                  Working...
                  X