Confused over multiple dwellings relief!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused over multiple dwellings relief!

Hello all

I'm interested in buying a single block of self-contained units/flats (i.e. own kitchen and bathroom, no shared amenities or rooms). However if I am buying the lot on one single freehold title, would multiple dwellings relief still apply for the stamp duty?

Thanks!

Better to ask the experts ( Tax Office for sdlt) or get a quote from a conveyancing firm. .

Comment

Definition of dwelling is here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...ual/sdltm29955 "a “dwelling” means a building or part of a building which is suitable for use as a single dwelling"

A flat is accordingly a dwelling. A block of flats is accordingly multiple dwellings, and multiple dwellings relief will apply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CGT - when value of house is taken from
        Trading1
        Hi all,

Hoping you can clarify for me. I bought a house about 8 years ago, and moved out 4 years ago to move in with my wife, and rented my old house out.

My understanding is if i sell the old house, the CGT is paid on the difference between purchase price, and sale price...
        12-05-2019, 20:28 PM
      • Reply to CGT - when value of house is taken from
        Trading1
        Thanks all, yes I'm aware of the tax changes due next april, so have put the house up for sale already Unfortuntely the market seems to be dead as a doornail !...
        21-05-2019, 20:32 PM
      • legal fees offsett my rental income ?
        alice123
        Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was...
        21-05-2019, 20:23 PM
      • Higher tax bracket
        someonenew
        I will be a brand new landlord soon and wasn't sure if what I'm doing is correct (best for tax reasons)

I have two properties

1) Bought Feb 2017 (£185,000 24% equity) residential for me to live in
        2) Bought May 2019 (£150,000 25% equity) buy to let

The...
        21-05-2019, 15:10 PM
      • Reply to Higher tax bracket
        jpkeates
        When you are married, you can organise your tax affairs to suit your new situation - finding a good local accountant might be a sensible first step. Or a family solicitor (because you want your wills to be sympathetic and you might want to change how the property is owned.)
        But SDLT will be an...
        21-05-2019, 16:22 PM
        someonenew
        My fiance earns £35,000 so she's not too far from the bracket but we do intend on having children pretty early on.

I've never talked to anyone about transferring it over to a company, any ideas how difficult it is. I've just paid £5,000 on stamp duty for this property and have a feeling...
        21-05-2019, 16:04 PM
        jpkeates
        Does your fiance earn the same (or more)?

The most tax-efficient outcome is likely to be to manage the properties through a company, but the costs of moving from where you are now to that position are quite high (but one off).

It might be worthwhile talking and working it through...
        21-05-2019, 15:58 PM
      • Deed of trust to Ltd company
        Vinkris
        Hello All,

I’m new to this site/forum so apologies in advance if this question has been asked before.
        i own my current property 100% and it’s on a personal mortgage. Now I want to move from the property due to personal reasons and want to let it out. I want to do BTL via company...
        20-05-2019, 17:11 PM
      • Reply to Deed of trust to Ltd company
        jpkeates
        "BTL via company option" needs some further explaining.
        21-05-2019, 08:36 AM
      • Reply to Deed of trust to Ltd company
        Jon66
        You need to post the terms and conditions of your mortgage for anyone to be able to answer but it is likely you will be breaching the terms and conditions if you don't inform them....
        20-05-2019, 18:21 PM
      Working...
      X