Confused over multiple dwellings relief!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused over multiple dwellings relief!

Hello all

I'm interested in buying a single block of self-contained units/flats (i.e. own kitchen and bathroom, no shared amenities or rooms). However if I am buying the lot on one single freehold title, would multiple dwellings relief still apply for the stamp duty?

Thanks!

Better to ask the experts ( Tax Office for sdlt) or get a quote from a conveyancing firm. .

Comment

Definition of dwelling is here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...ual/sdltm29955 "a “dwelling” means a building or part of a building which is suitable for use as a single dwelling"

A flat is accordingly a dwelling. A block of flats is accordingly multiple dwellings, and multiple dwellings relief will apply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Another Form 17 Question. Avoiding 60% TAX
        RobR
        Hi Forum, Please be gentle on a new member and first time poster.

Hopefully, someone will be able to assist me in an area I realise has been covered numerous times. Currently, I have trawled the internet, spoke with my Accountant and Solicitor, to say I have received conflicting information...
        22-03-2019, 14:16 PM
      • Reply to Another Form 17 Question. Avoiding 60% TAX
        Gordon999
        https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-income-17

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sdlt-tra...nd-or-property

https://www.accountancyage.com/2018/...y-and-form-17/
        26-03-2019, 03:13 AM
      • Balancing Payment
        dotcotton999
        Evening all,

Whilst I completed my most recent tax return Im was due to make a balancing payment.

Once this is paid what section of my next tax return do I input this balancing payment to ensure I’m not paying twice

Thanks...
        25-03-2019, 20:43 PM
      • Reply to Balancing Payment
        leaseholder64
        You don't. A balancing payment is the excess of what you owe after the tax you have already paid, and should bring our tax due to zero.

Even if you have to make a payment on account, that is only considered after your tax due is calculated.
        25-03-2019, 21:22 PM
      • Tax credit
        Flimflam
        Hi Folks

Another new member here, hello to all.

I hope this has not been covered before as I cannot find it any where.

I am renting out a property and not long since contacted inland revenue for tax for 2017/18. I am a basic rate tax payer and have an interest...
        24-03-2019, 21:40 PM
      • Reply to Tax credit
        AndrewDod
        No such thing as a 1000 profit exemption. You are thinking about interest on savings.

Not having to do a tax return is not the same as not having to pay tax. And the requirement to do a tax return depends on income (and other things) not profit.

Are you sure you are calculating...
        25-03-2019, 21:17 PM
        Kape65
        Maybe you can point me in the direction of a form or document that allows you to choose a percentage of ownership other than an equal share when registering title. I know a previous poster has said it's possible but I'm yet to see the proof, even Google doesn't have the answer. I would love this to...
        25-03-2019, 16:08 PM
        jpkeates
        Change your solicitor, or ask the question again.

There are two ways to vary the percentage ownership.
        One is to formally change the title deeds. You gift your spouse (or they gift you) a share in the property. You do this by being tenants in common and explicitly recording who owns...
        25-03-2019, 10:24 AM
      • transfer of equity SDLT question
        Milkshock
        i own two mortgaged properties, one in my name and one in my wifes name.

value of my property is c.350k, the one owned in joint names is valued at c.450k.

We are purchasing a new property together worth c450k, and at the same time wish to remove her name from the register on...
        24-03-2019, 12:11 PM
      • Reply to transfer of equity SDLT question
        Lawcruncher
        No - at least not one which is acceptable as a security to an institutional lender. You can only register a mortgage at the Land Registry if all the registered proprietors execute it. If the mortgage is not registered the lender does nt have a power of sale if the borrower defaults. A mortgage of a...
        25-03-2019, 10:21 AM
      Working...
      X