Trying to move away from using an accountant, and handle my own tax return.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Trying to move away from using an accountant, and handle my own tax return.

    Dear all,
    I'm a landlord with one property.

    I'm paying an accountant about £600 p/a to take care of my self-assessment tax return. I would like to do it myself and save some cash.

    I'm sure I could get most of it right, but I'm anxious not to draw the gaze of inland revenue if I made a mistake. Not because I'm trying to avoid tax, but the cost and hassle of dealing with an inspection.

    So I can take the plunge. But I'd like to get some training, or get someone trained to review what I've done before I hand in my homework.

    Needless to say, my accountant doesn't like to answer questions. Especially when he senses that I'm trying to take work away from him.

    Apart from the property business, my tax situation is fairly simple. I have a small pension and some other minor income.

    Has anyone else out there tackled this ? and how did you get on ?

    thank you

    Been doing my own for more than 10 years since my accountant (almost until I checked) was about to submit return and lose me £ks...

    but I'm anxious not to draw the gaze of inland revenue if I made a mistake.
    You won't be in the clear if the accountant makes a mistake.

    Advice? By a book on property tax (there are more than 10 a landlord may pay..) e.g.

    & do a course from RLA or NLA e.g.

    - then see if you can do your own accounts and try almost getting to the end point with HMRC SA: Then ask your accountant to take a look and tell you what he'd suggest/save you.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Lots and lots of landlords do their own tax return.
      HMRC are usually focussed on people who arent' paying tax, not on those who are and may make the odd mistake from time to time.

      I don't do my own return, and pay an accountant a similar amount to you.
      The costs are allowed against tax (even if they shouldn't be) and the peace of mind (and 20 minute discussion of my tax affairs each year) is worth the cost to me.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Thanks for all the advice so far. Book ordered. Considering the course.
        I'd be grateful for more opinions.
        Cheers all.


          I would recommend that you use a separate bank ( current ) account for receiving your rental income and paying out all maintenance expenses.
          The 12 months statements will produce the total rental income and total expense figures for reporting on the tax return for 2018-2019.

          If you kept a copy of your last year's tax return, then you will know what form ( SA200 ? ) to expect for next time .


          Latest Activity


          • Higher tax bracket
            I will be a brand new landlord soon and wasn't sure if what I'm doing is correct (best for tax reasons)

            I have two properties

            1) Bought Feb 2017 (£185,000 24% equity) residential for me to live in
            2) Bought May 2019 (£150,000 25% equity) buy to let

            21-05-2019, 15:10 PM
          • Reply to Higher tax bracket
            Thanks for the info guys. I guess speaking with an accountant is the next step. Have any of you used anyone from Manchester that you would recommend?
            23-05-2019, 11:04 AM
          • Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
            Hi All

            Both myself and my wife each have a number of BTL props in our sole names.

            We also jointly own our marital home.

            We want to move house to something bigger, and have been advised that the 3% SDLT Penalty will sting us on the new purchase even though it is...
            22-05-2019, 18:14 PM
          • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
            Thanks. Yes we are selling our main residence and buying another. So that's good news, thank you.
            23-05-2019, 10:29 AM
          • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
            You'll need to sell your existing home in order to avoid it. Details can be found online about how it works in circumstances where the sale of your existing home isn't exactly contemporaneous with the purchase of the new one. "Replacement of main residence" or some such is the term used.
            23-05-2019, 08:14 AM
          • legal fees offsett my rental income ?
            Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was...
            21-05-2019, 20:23 PM
          • Reply to legal fees offsett my rental income ?
            Thank-you Jpeaks much appreciated its very good to know that now...
            22-05-2019, 17:10 PM
          • Capital gains tax and tax credits
            hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
            17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
          • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
            Thanks jon i think i understand this - just - ive about 2 yrs when the property was occupied my myself and children and purchase price was 34,000 , sold for 70,000 still under a mortgage which we ignore i guess plus had new windows and boiler in and of course solicitors and estage agents fees , its...
            22-05-2019, 17:08 PM
          • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
            I forgot to add that there is no capital limit for tax credit purposes, which is why you do not need to declare the capital for tax credit purposes!
            22-05-2019, 15:50 PM