Wife's tax liability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife's tax liability

I know variations on this question have been asked before, so will keep it brief.
    We jointly own a rental. My share of income needs declaring on tax return, no question.
    But my wife has no other income.
    Does she need to declare it, as it's well below her allowance. I've read that anything over £2500 has to be declared, is this the case?
    Does declare mean a full tax return or just a letter to HMRC?

Just get her to register with HMRC for Self Assessment, she still needs to declare it.

Comment

Your wife should tell HMRC about her new source of income.
      They will decide how she needs to report her income - it may be a self assessment return or it may be less formal.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Many thanks, have taken the self assessment route. It's a fairly simple process for such limited income declaration.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Higher tax bracket
          someonenew
          I will be a brand new landlord soon and wasn't sure if what I'm doing is correct (best for tax reasons)

I have two properties

1) Bought Feb 2017 (£185,000 24% equity) residential for me to live in
          2) Bought May 2019 (£150,000 25% equity) buy to let

The...
          21-05-2019, 15:10 PM
        • Reply to Higher tax bracket
          someonenew
          Thanks for the info guys. I guess speaking with an accountant is the next step. Have any of you used anyone from Manchester that you would recommend?
          23-05-2019, 11:04 AM
        • Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
          jghomer
          Hi All

Both myself and my wife each have a number of BTL props in our sole names.

We also jointly own our marital home.

We want to move house to something bigger, and have been advised that the 3% SDLT Penalty will sting us on the new purchase even though it is...
          22-05-2019, 18:14 PM
        • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
          jghomer
          Thanks. Yes we are selling our main residence and buying another. So that's good news, thank you.
          23-05-2019, 10:29 AM
        • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
          JamesHopeful
          You'll need to sell your existing home in order to avoid it. Details can be found online about how it works in circumstances where the sale of your existing home isn't exactly contemporaneous with the purchase of the new one. "Replacement of main residence" or some such is the term used.
          23-05-2019, 08:14 AM
        • legal fees offsett my rental income ?
          alice123
          Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was...
          21-05-2019, 20:23 PM
        • Reply to legal fees offsett my rental income ?
          alice123
          Thank-you Jpeaks much appreciated its very good to know that now...
          22-05-2019, 17:10 PM
        • Capital gains tax and tax credits
          alice123
          hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
          17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
        • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
          alice123
          Thanks jon i think i understand this - just - ive about 2 yrs when the property was occupied my myself and children and purchase price was 34,000 , sold for 70,000 still under a mortgage which we ignore i guess plus had new windows and boiler in and of course solicitors and estage agents fees , its...
          22-05-2019, 17:08 PM
        • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
          Jon66
          I forgot to add that there is no capital limit for tax credit purposes, which is why you do not need to declare the capital for tax credit purposes!
          22-05-2019, 15:50 PM
        Working...
        X