Maintaining property Instead of paying tax...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintaining property Instead of paying tax...

Hi folks.

If I work out that this tax year I will have to pay for example £1000 tax on a rental...is it more beneficial to spend 1000 on Maintaining it like having a bit of painting done or a gardener? So effectively I'd be spending the same
    money but it would be benefiting me and the tenants instead??

hope this makes sense!

Actually the annual rental profit say £5000 ( e.g 12 months rent say £6000 minus allowable expenses say £1000 for letting agent and insurance ) is charged at 20% or 40% rate depending on your job income = £1000 or £2000 tax bill.

So if you were to spend all £5000 rental profit on maintenance work e.g . internal re-decoration and replace the rotten window frames , you would have no £1000 tax bill to pay but you also lose the £3000 or £4000 after profit and the Tax office also loses £1000 in tax revenue.

So you would get the benefit of £5000 worth of maintenance work for only £4000 or £3000 actual cost to you.

Comment

So I guess I'm right then. Instead of spending 5000 tho I would only spend 1000 then i wouldn't be 4000 out of pocket!

Comment

if you spend 1000 on maintenance, purely to avoid tax, then yes you could save but you also lose the benefit of the money to yourself to spend on whatever you want to improve your own quality of life, surely that's the basic principle of being in business, to improve the quality of your personal life and not to see how much tax you can avoid paying?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
          if you spend 1000 on maintenance, purely to avoid tax, then yes you could save but you also lose the benefit of the money to yourself to spend on whatever you want to improve your own quality of life, surely that's the basic principle of being in business, to improve the quality of your personal life and not to see how much tax you can avoid paying?
          Exactly! The phrase "tail wagging the dog" springs to mind. OP, if you want to save tax that badly I recommend that you halve the rent you charge your tenants. That's guaranteed to dramatically reduce your tax liability!

Comment

It's not really trying to avoid paying the tax. It's more if I have to pay that tax anyway I might as well spend it on the rental. Seems a no brainer to me. Why give the govt more. I give them enough in my normal job!

Comment

Unless your tax rate is 100%, you would have to spend the entire income (less any other allowable expenses) on maintenance to avoid paying tax.

Which is reasonable sensible from a tax point of view, but does make the actual investment a bit pointless.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ok. Let me ask another way. My rental gets me 10000 per year. Tax is 20% which makes 2000 so I have to pay 2000 quid. If I have 2000 allowable expenses do i still pay 2000?

Comment

If you had 2000 allowable expenses you would have still made 8000 profit and will pay 1600 tax (at a guess).

Comment

or in your normal job, you get offered a pay rise, but you don't take it because you would have to pay tax on it. so you would rather not have the additional pay?

if you invest in your property by 1000 and the property value rise, when you come to sell you will pay additional tax (CGT) on the amount the property has risen in value since purchase. how much would you expect the property to rise in value for an investment of 1000 per year over ten, twenty years because that profit is taxable. or would you be happy to see no increase in value as your sole intent is to avoid paying tax? so over twenty years, you have avoided paying tax on £20000 but you have also 'lost' the opportunity to enjoy the £16000 you could have put in your back pocket.

if I was looking for ways to become more tax efficient, I would be loading up my (or partners) pension scheme with as much (pre tax contributions) that I could rather than new wallpaper on a rented property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Stamp duty when changing the beneficial interest share
                      Nick88
                      My wife and I have a joint buy to let property, where the beneficial interest is split 50/50 and where we're both on the mortgage which is £210,000.

As she isn't working at the moment and I'm a higher rate tax payer we want to switch the beneficial interest so she has 99% and I have 1%...
                      22-09-2019, 22:40 PM
                    • Reply to Stamp duty when changing the beneficial interest share
                      Gordon999
                      Check if your 50/50 ownership at Land Registry is registered under "joint tenants" or "tenants in common" ?

If it is "tenants in common", no change is required ( and no stamp duty to pay ) .

Then you can change ratio to 99/1 by using...
                      23-09-2019, 00:10 AM
                    • Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                      Edgarina
                      I am a higher rate tax payer and my wife is not. I have removed myself from the mortgages of the two buy to let properties we have jointly owned and all the proceeds of the properties are now going into an account in my wife's name. Is this enough so I am no longer liable to pay tax on the income from...
                      07-09-2019, 13:40 PM
                    • Reply to Name off title deeds to remove tax liability
                      Kape65
                      It looks like I may have this wrong. It appears that the 3% surcharge may no longer be payable for spousal transfers, can anybody verify this?
                      22-09-2019, 10:48 AM
                    • Second payment on account
                      dotcotton999
                      Hello all,

After paying my 2017/18 tax bill I was asked to pay the first payment on account for 2018/19. The first payment was due by the 31st July 2019. This payment goes towards my future tax bill.

I paid that money owed by the deadline but it hasn’t reduced my 2018/19...
                      02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
                    • Reply to Second payment on account
                      dotcotton999
                      I telephoned HMRC... they said usually the amounts are worked out automatically but there had been issues with some accounts because payments on account hadn’t been generated correctly by them

thanks for all the assistance...
                      17-09-2019, 19:46 PM
                      Gordon999
                      If you make your tax return online, then you can check the "statement " section showing your payments made to tax office against your own bank statements.
                      17-09-2019, 00:01 AM
                      dotcotton999
                      There’s me thinking it’s called self assessment...
                      16-09-2019, 19:28 PM
                      Kape65
                      With legislation on linked transactions I would suggest their would be a SDLT liability dependent on the mortgage value transferred. If the joint value amounted to £40k or more then 3% would be payable on the entire amount.
                      16-09-2019, 18:58 PM
                      Edgarina
                      Hi,

The property value is about 55k each so no stamp duty, the bank had no issues at and didn't even mention it but of course I said I was coning off the deeds too and its via the banks (very expensive solicitors).

I have had an opinion from an accountant and yes it looks like...
                      16-09-2019, 16:13 PM
                    Working...
                    X