Maintaining property Instead of paying tax...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintaining property Instead of paying tax...

Hi folks.

If I work out that this tax year I will have to pay for example £1000 tax on a rental...is it more beneficial to spend 1000 on Maintaining it like having a bit of painting done or a gardener? So effectively I'd be spending the same
    money but it would be benefiting me and the tenants instead??

hope this makes sense!

Actually the annual rental profit say £5000 ( e.g 12 months rent say £6000 minus allowable expenses say £1000 for letting agent and insurance ) is charged at 20% or 40% rate depending on your job income = £1000 or £2000 tax bill.

So if you were to spend all £5000 rental profit on maintenance work e.g . internal re-decoration and replace the rotten window frames , you would have no £1000 tax bill to pay but you also lose the £3000 or £4000 after profit and the Tax office also loses £1000 in tax revenue.

So you would get the benefit of £5000 worth of maintenance work for only £4000 or £3000 actual cost to you.

Comment

So I guess I'm right then. Instead of spending 5000 tho I would only spend 1000 then i wouldn't be 4000 out of pocket!

Comment

if you spend 1000 on maintenance, purely to avoid tax, then yes you could save but you also lose the benefit of the money to yourself to spend on whatever you want to improve your own quality of life, surely that's the basic principle of being in business, to improve the quality of your personal life and not to see how much tax you can avoid paying?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
          if you spend 1000 on maintenance, purely to avoid tax, then yes you could save but you also lose the benefit of the money to yourself to spend on whatever you want to improve your own quality of life, surely that's the basic principle of being in business, to improve the quality of your personal life and not to see how much tax you can avoid paying?
          Exactly! The phrase "tail wagging the dog" springs to mind. OP, if you want to save tax that badly I recommend that you halve the rent you charge your tenants. That's guaranteed to dramatically reduce your tax liability!

Comment

It's not really trying to avoid paying the tax. It's more if I have to pay that tax anyway I might as well spend it on the rental. Seems a no brainer to me. Why give the govt more. I give them enough in my normal job!

Comment

Unless your tax rate is 100%, you would have to spend the entire income (less any other allowable expenses) on maintenance to avoid paying tax.

Which is reasonable sensible from a tax point of view, but does make the actual investment a bit pointless.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ok. Let me ask another way. My rental gets me 10000 per year. Tax is 20% which makes 2000 so I have to pay 2000 quid. If I have 2000 allowable expenses do i still pay 2000?

Comment

If you had 2000 allowable expenses you would have still made 8000 profit and will pay 1600 tax (at a guess).

Comment

or in your normal job, you get offered a pay rise, but you don't take it because you would have to pay tax on it. so you would rather not have the additional pay?

if you invest in your property by 1000 and the property value rise, when you come to sell you will pay additional tax (CGT) on the amount the property has risen in value since purchase. how much would you expect the property to rise in value for an investment of 1000 per year over ten, twenty years because that profit is taxable. or would you be happy to see no increase in value as your sole intent is to avoid paying tax? so over twenty years, you have avoided paying tax on £20000 but you have also 'lost' the opportunity to enjoy the £16000 you could have put in your back pocket.

if I was looking for ways to become more tax efficient, I would be loading up my (or partners) pension scheme with as much (pre tax contributions) that I could rather than new wallpaper on a rented property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• legal fees offsett my rental income ?
                      alice123
                      Hi all , i had some legal fees to pay which were about 1,500 , which were due to the fact that the tenant was suing me over the deposit, and i also had some legal fees in respect of tracing the tenants arrears . I did wonder if i may offest this against my rental income on my tax return (which was...
                      21-05-2019, 20:23 PM
                    • Higher tax bracket
                      someonenew
                      I will be a brand new landlord soon and wasn't sure if what I'm doing is correct (best for tax reasons)

I have two properties

1) Bought Feb 2017 (£185,000 24% equity) residential for me to live in
                      2) Bought May 2019 (£150,000 25% equity) buy to let

The...
                      21-05-2019, 15:10 PM
                    • Reply to Higher tax bracket
                      jpkeates
                      When you are married, you can organise your tax affairs to suit your new situation - finding a good local accountant might be a sensible first step. Or a family solicitor (because you want your wills to be sympathetic and you might want to change how the property is owned.)
                      But SDLT will be an...
                      21-05-2019, 16:22 PM
                      someonenew
                      My fiance earns £35,000 so she's not too far from the bracket but we do intend on having children pretty early on.

I've never talked to anyone about transferring it over to a company, any ideas how difficult it is. I've just paid £5,000 on stamp duty for this property and have a feeling...
                      21-05-2019, 16:04 PM
                      jpkeates
                      Does your fiance earn the same (or more)?

The most tax-efficient outcome is likely to be to manage the properties through a company, but the costs of moving from where you are now to that position are quite high (but one off).

It might be worthwhile talking and working it through...
                      21-05-2019, 15:58 PM
                    • Deed of trust to Ltd company
                      Vinkris
                      Hello All,

I’m new to this site/forum so apologies in advance if this question has been asked before.
                      i own my current property 100% and it’s on a personal mortgage. Now I want to move from the property due to personal reasons and want to let it out. I want to do BTL via company...
                      20-05-2019, 17:11 PM
                    • Reply to Deed of trust to Ltd company
                      jpkeates
                      "BTL via company option" needs some further explaining.
                      21-05-2019, 08:36 AM
                    • Reply to Deed of trust to Ltd company
                      Jon66
                      You need to post the terms and conditions of your mortgage for anyone to be able to answer but it is likely you will be breaching the terms and conditions if you don't inform them....
                      20-05-2019, 18:21 PM
                    • Will I pay stamp duty?
                      Bricko7
                      So i was hoping for some good advice.

Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a house together, the problem is i already have a house of my own which i am renting out on a BTL mortgage. So if i buy a house with my girlfriend that will be my second home, but her only home.

18-05-2019, 16:02 PM
                    • Reply to Will I pay stamp duty?
                      loanarranger
                      There are a minority of lenders who will accept one person being on the Title but with two persons on the mortgage in order support the affordability , otherwise You cannot circumvent the SDLT premium in the second property is in joint names.
                      18-05-2019, 21:34 PM
                    Working...
                    X