transfer title or deed of trust regarding CGT reduction

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post

    But it seems a single name in the property title + DOT is not enough to satisfy HMRC under " their rules ".

    HMRC want to see both spouses names registered on the property title before they accept a DOT to vary the distribution of rental profit. .
    There is no such law or rule in general (for example with a DoT giving beneficial ownership to my child).

    Indeed such a rule would make no sense since one can have only four trustees, but many more owners than that. The ruling relates to ownership (which the DoT is). What is the case is that if both spouses are names on the trust deed (as legal owners) and this is as joint tenants (not tenants in common) then there can be no variation in distribution because this is 100% shared ownership by definition and has to be declared as 50:50.

    Beneficial interest **is** ownership. Being on the title is not. A trustee is not an owner (necessarily).


      There are a number of different types of trust.

      One that owns property usually has to be formally recorded with HMRC as a separate entity and has to submit its own tax return annually.
      A simple trust to change the beneficial ownership is a different type of trust, which simply requires a one-off formal notification to HMRC.

      I don't know enough about trusts to pretend to know much more than that, but the rules and procedures are obviously different in different cases.

      I have to say that I was always of the belief that joint ownership was necessary for a change of beneficial ownership split, but that could be one of those self-perpetuating bits of "knowledge", which is only "true" until someone points out its wrong.
      Certainly it's how most people who have asked the question seem to have been told by their solicitors.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        So is it possible to use a dot to transfer beneficial ownership to ones spouse who is not named on the legal title? I was under the impression that this couldn't be done. Would the mortgage company not block such a thing?


        Latest Activity


        • tax responsibility and allowable expenses
          Hello, wondering if anyone can help.

          Firstly, my husband and I are joint owners of our rental property but I heard that we can change things so the tax is based on my income alone. Is this true? If so how can I go about arranging this. I earn alot less than my husband.

          23-04-2019, 20:58 PM
        • Reply to tax responsibility and allowable expenses

          I think you really are " THE ONE " with superior knowledge on tax matters by being able to respond to a far wider range of questions.

          Replying to your question, my thinking ( and I could be wrong ) is :

          When you claim mortgage interest on...
          24-04-2019, 21:36 PM
        • Reply to tax responsibility and allowable expenses
          I bow to your superior knowledge (as always).

          Could you point me at some reason why, because I would have thought that it would be allowable?
          It's essentially the same as a business remortgage....
          24-04-2019, 12:52 PM
        • Reply to tax responsibility and allowable expenses
          Q1. if you are given tax return SA211 2019 to complete , then read the section 6.1 ( property let jointly ) ,

          Q2. No, its too late. It only allowable if you had use the money raised from house to buy the property.
          24-04-2019, 11:57 AM
        • Reply to tax responsibility and allowable expenses
          If you are the landlord and your husband isn't, the income would be yours.
          It becomes a little more complex if it's paid into a joint account.

          Essentially, tax is paid on beneficial income, so if your husband enjoys the results of the income, it's really his income as well.
          24-04-2019, 09:30 AM
        • Moving into my Buy to Let
          I’m considering selling my primary residence and moving into my buy to let. I then will want to sell the buy to let in a couple of years time and then buy a new primary residence outright. Reason for this is to consolidate my assets and buy my next family home outright.
          My question is will...
          22-04-2019, 17:23 PM
        • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
          The gain achieved during "primary residence period" is exempt for cgt. .

          The gain achieved during the BTL period is liable to cgt at 18% or 28%

          Primary residence can be claimed for the period in residence plus up to 9 months after moving out
          24-04-2019, 01:39 AM
        • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
          By taking full advantage of the tax relief for private residences and selling before they need to pay tax. You used to be able to designate whichever property you wanted as your main residence. The last 18 months of occupation is currently tax free - that is dropping to 9 months in 2020. It used to...
          23-04-2019, 21:49 PM
        • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
          They don't actually avoid it, they do what anyone can do if they live in more than one place.
          You can nominate one of them to HMRC as your primary residence - because you're only allowed one property as your "primary" residence.

          While that costs you CGT on the other one,...
          23-04-2019, 11:54 AM
        • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
          How do politicians get away with paying no CGT on their second residences?
          23-04-2019, 10:04 AM