Main home mortgage interest deducible against commercial investment income?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main home mortgage interest deducible against commercial investment income?

Hi all,
    If I own my main residence outright and obtain a mortgage on it to finance a commercial investment property is the mortgage interest an allowable cost against the commercial rental income?

Thanks

Jay

If the draw down of the mortgage loan is on the same date as the purchase date of the commercial property, the mortgage interest should be allowed as expenses against rental income.. But you should check with your accountant before you proceed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Moving into my Buy to Let
      Veryvicky79
      I’m considering selling my primary residence and moving into my buy to let. I then will want to sell the buy to let in a couple of years time and then buy a new primary residence outright. Reason for this is to consolidate my assets and buy my next family home outright.
      My question is will...
      22-04-2019, 17:23 PM
    • Reply to Moving into my Buy to Let
      Gordon999
      If each person has £25K capital gain, approx £12K annual allowance can be deducted .

So taxable gain is on £13K, charged at 18% or 28%. ( = £2300 or £3640 )

If you moved in to live for 2 years , your capital gain is reduced from £25K to £20K

and your...
      26-04-2019, 01:04 AM
    • CGT on Primary Residence that is being split
      splitdreams
      We bought our home 20 years ago.
      7 Years ago we developed an outbuilding and have been renting that out.
      We have continued to live in the main house.

We are trying to understand our CGT liability should we wish to formally split the property and sell the main house.
      25-04-2019, 20:39 PM
    • Reply to CGT on Primary Residence that is being split
      Gordon999
      The capital again from sale of your house ( owner occupied for 20 years ) is exempt for capital gains tax.

After sale of your outbuilding , the capital gain is apportioned between letting period and main residence period.

The gain under the letting period is liable...
      26-04-2019, 00:56 AM
      flexy
      Ok hadn't realised that it's split in this way. Hardly worth doing then... In my instance anyway.
      £50k gain spread over two people's CGT allowance. It would be quite a pain to temporarily move!
      25-04-2019, 17:58 PM
      Gordon999
      If you move into the BTL property and it becomes your primary residence, and you sell after 2 years , your situation is

Property owned for 10 years and if your total capital gain is say £100K .

The total gain is apportioned £80K ( 8 Years as BTL) and £20K ( 2 years...
      25-04-2019, 17:18 PM
      jpkeates
      Politicians (and everyone else) can only have one primary residence, and they don't get to have a different one at weekends.

CGT isn't applicable for a primary residence, but it simply transfers to the other property you're not living in.

If you were to move in part time, you...
      25-04-2019, 16:48 PM
    • Incorporation relief
      JK0
      This might interest you guys if anyone has a problem with the higher tax rules.

If you actively work in your property business for over 20 hours per week, you can transfer your properties to a company, without paying CGT....
      25-04-2019, 15:53 PM
    • Reply to Incorporation relief
      jpkeates
      In theory.

There are a number of problems with that and I'd not want to be the first person to interest HMRC and have a test case....
      25-04-2019, 16:40 PM
      flexy
      The planning to exit being a LL (following removal of S21) is starting!
      25-04-2019, 14:52 PM
    Working...
    X