X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trex_99
    started a topic Can I use previous years losses to reduce profits

Can I use previous years losses to reduce profits

Over the years I've made a £50k loss from renting property. This year Ive made £3k profit. My question is, is it ok to deduct some of the previous years losses to offset against this years profits? So that on my tax return I can enter £0 profit made?
    I normally just carry all my losses forward but if I dont use them whats the point?

• JamesHopeful
    replied
    I have racked up similarly-sized carried over losses myself. In my case, it's been because I've undertaken a couple of top-to-bottom refurbishments each year for several years on the trot (and before anyone says it, yes I did consider very carefully which elements of the refurbishment expenditure were revenue in nature and which elements were capital).

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    The only time I have ever had a 50K loss is when a massive service charge of around that amount was levied for major repairs to a leasehold flat. Otherwise it is pretty difficult. So please explain how you did that.
    I doubt the OP will respond after so long Andrew.
    But I've worked with blokes overseas who racked up similar losses so I'll have a stab at explaining;

Large, expensive, family home out in the sticks, totally unsuitable for renting out, awful yield. They just want a nice place to come back to with someone helping out with the costs in the meantime.

Annual mortgage interest £20K
    Rent £18K
    Less letting agent fees, insurance, repairs, voids etc £12K income, £8K loss.
    6 years working overseas = £50K (aprox) cumulative loss.

Unless they've had very unlucky timing, they've probably made well over that £50K in capital appreciation. A hedge on UK property prices if you like.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    The only time I have ever had a 50K loss is when a massive service charge of around that amount was levied for major repairs to a leasehold flat. Otherwise it is pretty difficult. So please explain how you did that. I am suspicious and HMRC would be likewise.

Have you put in a tax return every single year explaining those losses? And calculating them correctly? Like not including full mortgage payments unrelated to interest. Or including capital costs.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    If you have losses from past years to carry forward, then you should submit a paper tax return every year before end of Oct .

On your tax return for 2017-2018 , you may have gross rent = £10,000 and maintenance expenses = £7000, so your rental profit = £3000.

Your losses from past years = £50,000 are brought forward and added to the current year profit £3000 = £47,000 loss to carry forward to next year. . .

Leave a comment:

• AshC
    replied
    Trex_99 - yes you can - see similar question in HMRC's forum

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/webchatpr...list/2792.page

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    You can't just make it up. There are procedures for carrying forward tax losses from one year to another and it will depend on what your tax return says for the previous year.

If you were making £50k loss then why are you bothering to continue? If I were HMRC I would want to look at little closer at your accounts but they don't have the staff so actually, you can probably just keep making it up

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    crossannie101
    I have two properties with an income of £9,000. HMRC does not allow web filing accounts if income is over £5,250+. The options seem to be a) buy and use software acceptable to HMRC or b) use an accountant who has such software and charges £250 + VAT pa. As I file accounts directly with HMRC for...
    14-07-2019, 18:06 PM
  • Reply to HMRC - Web Filing of Accounts
    Gordon999
    I suggest you ask the tax office to send you a paper version tax return for first year submission ( before 31 st Oct ) .

Next year if you understand the system, change to online tax return .
    19-07-2019, 17:48 PM
    crossannie101
    Thank you Gordon999 and JKO, both very interesting. I do the book-keeping and use a spreadsheet with all income and outgoings, plus bank account, so when I hand it over to the person who submits they literally enter the info provided and submit. They offered to submit our CS01 for £40 plus VAT, which...
    19-07-2019, 10:47 AM
  • don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
    MOONRIVER
    Just about to start getting info together for my accountant on my 5 buytolets.
    Anybody got a good spreadsheet they've devised solely for this purpose please?
    I will be forever grateful, thanks in advance.
    02-07-2019, 20:57 PM
  • Reply to don't want to reinvent the wheel- spreadsheet required
    tatemono
    I use something I've put together which calculates exactly what I need to put in each box on the SA forms. We've got the same number of properties and it works for us, but I find I have to be on top of it (sometimes on a daily basis) with expenses and paperwork so it's not for everyone. The good thing...
    17-07-2019, 06:06 AM
    JK0
    I bet accountant will be able to identify £250 of savings, and his bill is tax deductible also. Thirdly, any mistake found years ahead will be on his head rather than yours. Go with the accountant IIWY.
    16-07-2019, 07:52 AM
    Gordon999
    If you use a separate bank account to receive the monthly rental payments and pay the expenses by cheque, your bank account statements will serve as your bookkeeping records.

For rental income of around £9K total , you can probably submit a paper tax return SA 200 . This form requires...
    16-07-2019, 07:39 AM
    crossannie101
    Hi Gordon,

The income is too low to be registered for VAT. HMRC have a list of software but when I looked a year or so ago, it was quite expensive. I wondered if others had a similar situation and what they did.
    15-07-2019, 21:07 PM
    Gordon999
    Have you asked HMRC about what software to use for online returns?

I thought the online return was required for quarterly VAT returns ?...
    14-07-2019, 22:47 PM
  • Sale of (let) residential property: is HMRC notification required?
    MdeB
    I have just sold a residential property I have been letting.
    There is a capital loss on the disposal.

I have a vague recollection that such disposals need to be notified to HMRC within 30 days of completion, but a search has not come up with anything other than "it will become...
    12-07-2019, 23:51 PM
Working...
X