Can I use previous years losses to reduce profits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use previous years losses to reduce profits

Over the years I've made a £50k loss from renting property. This year Ive made £3k profit. My question is, is it ok to deduct some of the previous years losses to offset against this years profits? So that on my tax return I can enter £0 profit made?
    I normally just carry all my losses forward but if I dont use them whats the point?

You can't just make it up. There are procedures for carrying forward tax losses from one year to another and it will depend on what your tax return says for the previous year.

If you were making £50k loss then why are you bothering to continue? If I were HMRC I would want to look at little closer at your accounts but they don't have the staff so actually, you can probably just keep making it up

Comment

Trex_99 - yes you can - see similar question in HMRC's forum

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/webchatpr...list/2792.page

Comment

If you have losses from past years to carry forward, then you should submit a paper tax return every year before end of Oct .

On your tax return for 2017-2018 , you may have gross rent = £10,000 and maintenance expenses = £7000, so your rental profit = £3000.

Your losses from past years = £50,000 are brought forward and added to the current year profit £3000 = £47,000 loss to carry forward to next year. . .

Comment

The only time I have ever had a 50K loss is when a massive service charge of around that amount was levied for major repairs to a leasehold flat. Otherwise it is pretty difficult. So please explain how you did that. I am suspicious and HMRC would be likewise.

Have you put in a tax return every single year explaining those losses? And calculating them correctly? Like not including full mortgage payments unrelated to interest. Or including capital costs.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
            The only time I have ever had a 50K loss is when a massive service charge of around that amount was levied for major repairs to a leasehold flat. Otherwise it is pretty difficult. So please explain how you did that.
            I doubt the OP will respond after so long Andrew.
            But I've worked with blokes overseas who racked up similar losses so I'll have a stab at explaining;

Large, expensive, family home out in the sticks, totally unsuitable for renting out, awful yield. They just want a nice place to come back to with someone helping out with the costs in the meantime.

Annual mortgage interest £20K
            Rent £18K
            Less letting agent fees, insurance, repairs, voids etc £12K income, £8K loss.
            6 years working overseas = £50K (aprox) cumulative loss.

Unless they've had very unlucky timing, they've probably made well over that £50K in capital appreciation. A hedge on UK property prices if you like.

Comment

I have racked up similarly-sized carried over losses myself. In my case, it's been because I've undertaken a couple of top-to-bottom refurbishments each year for several years on the trot (and before anyone says it, yes I did consider very carefully which elements of the refurbishment expenditure were revenue in nature and which elements were capital).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Higher Rate Stamp Duty Landlords
                GeddyMortgage
                Hi all,

Two questions for you all. One is straight forward, the other maybe not so much. Interested in reading your thoughts/guidance.

1) I have 3 rental properties, and one main residence, if I purchase a new home and sell my main residence in the process, despite keeping...
                26-05-2019, 09:02 AM
              • Reply to Higher Rate Stamp Duty Landlords
                Kape65
                I think as you own 3 other properties you may be expected to pay the premium SDLT on your new purchase main residence or not. I'm not sure converting a residential property to a BTL will incur SDLT as long as the owners remain the same.
                26-05-2019, 21:05 PM
              • Car & Car Finance acceptable Landlord expenses
                GeddyMortgage
                Hello,

I've read various conflicting bits of information on this subject of late. I wonder if anyone on here can help shed some definite light on this for me. I have two questions really,

1) As a private landlord, if I were to purchase a car on finance or lease purchase, to...
                09-04-2019, 08:39 AM
              • Reply to Car & Car Finance acceptable Landlord expenses
                GeddyMortgage
                Great read, thanks all.
                26-05-2019, 08:51 AM
              • Deed of trust to Ltd company
                Vinkris
                Hello All,

I’m new to this site/forum so apologies in advance if this question has been asked before.
                i own my current property 100% and it’s on a personal mortgage. Now I want to move from the property due to personal reasons and want to let it out. I want to do BTL via company...
                20-05-2019, 17:11 PM
              • Reply to Deed of trust to Ltd company
                Gordon999
                If you don't want to break the existing mortgage loan, then you certainly cannot move to a new BTL mortgage....
                24-05-2019, 12:15 PM
              • Capital gains tax and tax credits
                alice123
                hi i have recently sold a rental property and have been working out my tax liability for the GCT which works out at 2,500 tax to pay and im a non tax payer and this just takes me over the threshold - ok for tax credits pruposed do i need to declare the captial gain as its a capital gain and not income...
                17-05-2019, 14:29 PM
              • Reply to Capital gains tax and tax credits
                Gordon999
                For any owner occupied property ( and never rented out ) , there is no tax to pay on the capital gain.
                24-05-2019, 12:05 PM
              • Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
                jghomer
                Hi All

Both myself and my wife each have a number of BTL props in our sole names.

We also jointly own our marital home.

We want to move house to something bigger, and have been advised that the 3% SDLT Penalty will sting us on the new purchase even though it is...
                22-05-2019, 18:14 PM
              • Reply to Question Re the 3% BTL SDLT Premium
                Gordon999
                If you buy a new home before you have sold the present home, you should expect to pay the extra 3% sdlt.

But current rules, you are given 36 months grace period to sell the old home and claim back the extra 3% paid on the new home
                24-05-2019, 11:59 AM
              Working...
              X