Can I use previous years losses to reduce profits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use previous years losses to reduce profits

Over the years I've made a £50k loss from renting property. This year Ive made £3k profit. My question is, is it ok to deduct some of the previous years losses to offset against this years profits? So that on my tax return I can enter £0 profit made?
    I normally just carry all my losses forward but if I dont use them whats the point?

You can't just make it up. There are procedures for carrying forward tax losses from one year to another and it will depend on what your tax return says for the previous year.

If you were making £50k loss then why are you bothering to continue? If I were HMRC I would want to look at little closer at your accounts but they don't have the staff so actually, you can probably just keep making it up

Comment

Trex_99 - yes you can - see similar question in HMRC's forum

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/webchatpr...list/2792.page

Comment

If you have losses from past years to carry forward, then you should submit a paper tax return every year before end of Oct .

On your tax return for 2017-2018 , you may have gross rent = £10,000 and maintenance expenses = £7000, so your rental profit = £3000.

Your losses from past years = £50,000 are brought forward and added to the current year profit £3000 = £47,000 loss to carry forward to next year. . .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Confused over multiple dwellings relief!
          fandango
          Hello all

I'm interested in buying a single block of self-contained units/flats (i.e. own kitchen and bathroom, no shared amenities or rooms). However if I am buying the lot on one single freehold title, would multiple dwellings relief still apply for the stamp duty?

Thank...
          21-02-2019, 22:04 PM
        • Adding wife to BTL property
          ringzer
          In 2005 I bought a BTL property in London with an outstanding mortgage of ~£150,000 and a current market value of ~ £500,000. The apartment has never been lived in by me and my name alone is on the title deeds and mortgage.

I would like to add my wife to the property, either 1) title...
          18-02-2019, 17:37 PM
        • Reply to Adding wife to BTL property
          Kape65
          Okay I can see the image now, however that is just asking how ownership is changing, it doesn't say they will allow it!
          20-02-2019, 17:23 PM
          Kape65
          I don't seem to be able to view the image re option 1. I'm keen to know if it is possible to split ownership with wife without adding her to the mortgage.
          20-02-2019, 17:19 PM
          jpkeates
          Option 2
          If your wife isn't on the mortgage, the transfer is a gift and there's no consideration and no SDLT.
          The gain from the point of transfer would be split.

If there's no saving of income tax, there's no saving other than the CGT allowance (assuming there aren't any changes...
          20-02-2019, 12:24 PM
          Kape65
          You're right, I remember that post. I agree that it's possible to do it but I feel if HMRC did take the time to view it then it could be classed as fraudulent, evading stamp duty and income tax.
          19-02-2019, 17:00 PM
          jpkeates
          Beneficial ownership is a can of worms and HMRC aren't in any position to dispute what a married couple assert to be how they want to split the beneficial ownership, regardless of title.

Someone posted on here a while back, and I made pretty much the same point (which was that the deed...
          19-02-2019, 16:35 PM
          Kape65
          I always believed that a DOT was used because normal ownership of tenant in common property was automatically registered as 50/50 split when the true ownership may have been different i.e wife has put more money in or such. Surely to transfer a percentage to your wife and then use a DOT to claim that...
          19-02-2019, 15:24 PM
          jpkeates
          Where property is owned as tenancy in common, the default presumption is that each tenant owns the property in equal proportions.
          But that doesn't have to be the case, the ownership can be shared in specified proportions, so 1% and 99%, or 60%:40% are possible.

That split would normally...
          19-02-2019, 13:51 PM
          Gordon999
          I think the solicitor may arrange a sale contract of 25% share in property from H ( seller ) to W ( Buyer ) at Nil price . but the Tax Office will say the consideration is 25% of mortgage loan for calculation the sdlt to pay.

After the property is registered under the names of H&W (...
          19-02-2019, 13:30 PM
        Working...
        X