beneficial interest to wife + her tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to HMRC website the consideration would be half of the mortgage debt.

Comment

If you are married, the consideration is the mortgage debt being acquired, which is half the outstanding amount if it's a joint mortgage.
      It's the full value for a non-married couple.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        If you are married, the consideration is the mortgage debt being acquired, which is half the outstanding amount if it's a joint mortgage.
        It's the full value for a non-married couple.
        Thanks jpkeates. Your advice matches that of both solictors I have asked. However, I have just relayed this to a tax accountant who insists it is the exact opposite. I quote her "bear in mind with a spouse you are transferring the chargeable consideration - its only with other transfers that just the mortgage is relevant!"

Do you have a link to a government/official website that I can go back to her with?

Comment

To be entirely honest I think she's not communicating clearly rather than being wrong.
          The chargeable consideration, in this case, is the mortgage as far as I can see - unless your accountant knows something about the transaction we don't.

I've not got a good link (it's been such a long time since I had to think about it, it's like someone querying 2 plus 2 being 4).
          https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sdlt-tra...nd-or-property is essentially the situation, but this document assumes that the transfer is happening as a result of getting married rather than after that happy event, but the principle is the same.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Here is the hmrc website on sdlt for interspouse transfers :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sdlt-tra...nd-or-property

show your tax accountant example 2.

( just realised its the same as quoted by jkp. )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X