beneficial interest to wife + her tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to HMRC website the consideration would be half of the mortgage debt.

Comment

If you are married, the consideration is the mortgage debt being acquired, which is half the outstanding amount if it's a joint mortgage.
      It's the full value for a non-married couple.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        If you are married, the consideration is the mortgage debt being acquired, which is half the outstanding amount if it's a joint mortgage.
        It's the full value for a non-married couple.
        Thanks jpkeates. Your advice matches that of both solictors I have asked. However, I have just relayed this to a tax accountant who insists it is the exact opposite. I quote her "bear in mind with a spouse you are transferring the chargeable consideration - its only with other transfers that just the mortgage is relevant!"

Do you have a link to a government/official website that I can go back to her with?

Comment

To be entirely honest I think she's not communicating clearly rather than being wrong.
          The chargeable consideration, in this case, is the mortgage as far as I can see - unless your accountant knows something about the transaction we don't.

I've not got a good link (it's been such a long time since I had to think about it, it's like someone querying 2 plus 2 being 4).
          https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sdlt-tra...nd-or-property is essentially the situation, but this document assumes that the transfer is happening as a result of getting married rather than after that happy event, but the principle is the same.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Here is the hmrc website on sdlt for interspouse transfers :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sdlt-tra...nd-or-property

show your tax accountant example 2.

( just realised its the same as quoted by jkp. )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
              by jpkeates
              I find that using expensive and long lasting underlay under cheaper carpet works best.
              It feels nice and luxurious and insulates well, and replacing the carpet is less traumatic on the bank balance.
              30-05-2020, 12:25 PM
            • Is changing carpets to laminate flooring tax deductible?
              by anqi_z
              Hello,

Carpets in a let property has worn out and I am considering to replace it with laminate flooring.
              Could anyone advise if this will be tax deductible (assume this won't be considered as improvement)?

Thank you....
              25-05-2020, 19:16 PM
            • Flipping a property
              by Gray
              My son and I are thinking of buying a property together and renovating it. We were intending to rent it out but now are thinking about just selling it again once work is finished. If we purchase property in three names (our’s and his partner’s), we would get three capital gains allowances is that...
              18-05-2020, 17:53 PM
            • Reply to Flipping a property
              by Jerome2020
              It's not strictly true that a company must be used where there are more than four owners. Where there are more than four parties with an interest in a property, the first named four are treated as holding the land on Trust for the remaining beneficial owners; good documentation is essential to avoid...
              30-05-2020, 11:56 AM
              by blinko
              Yeah I prefer carpet too, but the rate at which tenants seem to be able to destroy carpet compared to laminate.....
              30-05-2020, 11:50 AM
              by Lawcruncher
              Funny how fashions change. Fifty years ago having fitted carpet had a social cachet, now everyone wants laminate flooring. I know it looks nice, but so do carperts. It is fine in a conservatory with cane furniture, but it makes a lounge look clinical. It also increases your central heating costs.
              30-05-2020, 07:51 AM
              by Gordon999
              Land Registry only allows 4 names maximum on the property title.

If more than 4 names , you would need to register under company name and the members in the group become shareholders.

The members can be shareholders with one £1 share each and the company borrows the funds...
              30-05-2020, 05:59 AM
              by jpkeates
              If the property title was a joint tenancy, anyone not contributing to the purchase would have received the ownership as a gift and would be an owner as a matter of fact.
              29-05-2020, 16:26 PM
              by jpkeates
              OK, that makes a lot more sense.

The HMRC guidance is focussed on improvements like new rooms or new bathrooms rather than more mundane changes.

I would probably focus equally on the amount of the difference rather than the ratio - £500 is neither here nor there for tax purposes,...
              29-05-2020, 16:16 PM
              by Stew
              thanks - interesting reading
              29-05-2020, 15:32 PM
            Working...
            X